Wisconsin teachers should be fired

Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
n/a

Default Wisconsin teachers should be fired

I am outraged that teachers would lie to their bosses, and walk away from their students to demonstrate at the capital, all while encouraging their democrat politicians to run out of state and hide. It is immature and a very bad example to set. Worse yet they claim that they would be willing to negotiate if the mean governor would just not try to take away their right to collective bargain on the issue of benefits.. which of course is exactly what caused their benefits to get so out of line with none government employees.

Teachers: Go back to work , and show your students the adult way to deal with your problems. You are hurting your students and their parents who are dealing with home alone children while school is closed because your tantrum.

If you don't to back to work Monday, you should be fired. You cannot be allowed to demonstrate to your students by bad example that it is ok to walk out on your responsibilities when ever you feel like it.
I am ashamed of you and you have once again proven that you do not really care about your students first, and you are not worth the money you are paid.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
n/a

The voter spoke in November. We cannot allow the rabble to dictate to the American voter. I agree that all teachers not in their classroom on Monday should be terminated.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
n/a

Default Teachers

I sent an e-mail to Governer Walker telling him I support him and that he will win this fight. The people of Wisconsin spoke last year when they elected him governor because he had a vision for cutting the projected $3.2 billion dollar deficit over the next two years.

Governor Walker wants teacher to pay 12.5% of their health care costs and contribute 5.8% of their salaries into their pension plans. Currently, they pay ZERO! Currently, the AVERAGE teacher salary in Wisconsin is around $53,000 with another $20,000 in benefits. Pretty good for 9 months of work. In the Milwaukee Public School System, the AVERAGE with benefits is just over $100,000.

The more critical issue is collective bargaining. The union negotiates contracts for everyone in the state - good teachers and bad teachers and there is almost no chance to get rid of underperforming teachers. Removing collective bargaining would allow the individual school districts or communities to negotiate with their teachers and not the union. The union would become almost irrelevent in the state of Wisconsin.

Governor Walker has the votes to pass the measure as there are 19 Republican Senators and only 14 Democrat senators but, state law requires a quorum of 20 present for any voting so all the Democrats left for Illinois so no voting could take place. Up and left the state and people were cheering them!

I would never bash teachers as they have a very important and difficult job but they need to be in touch with what most workers are facing - reduced salaries, reduced benefits and ever increasing taxes!

By the way, the Democratic National Committee sent busloads of protestors from Illinois to Madison yesterday and the Reverend Jesse Jackson also showed up.

I don't know if it can be done but I would jail all the senators that fled the state for derilection of duty and fire the teachers who took a sick day to protest in Madison. Whole school systems were shut down because not enough substitutes could be found. Parents were left scrambling looking for day care options or having to take off from their own jobs to look after their kids.

It's a circus but when Governor Walker is successful, other states may also take his lead and see what can be done. Taxpayers can't keep the trough filled too much longer!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM
n/a

JimJoe, RichieLion, and Dennis -

You guys are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

I don't think there have been any other posts that I have totally agreed with you on but this one is spot on.

We all contributed to health insurance and to pension plans.

As for the elected officials who left the state, yes, they deserve to be arrested. However, I saw in the Daily Sun article this morning, one was in a hotel room in Chicage. I bet the state taxpayers in Wisconsin are paying for the hotel room instead of it coming out of his own pocket.

Firing the teachers would be similar to Reagan firing the air traffic controllers. It messed up air travel for a few days but it will not happen again!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
n/a

Must agree with the posters here. Schools have been choking the coffers long enough. Most citizens work 40+ hrs a week for a week's pay and no doubt recently have much less perks than teachers. I do hope that the results are favorable to the communities.

I could never understand the impression seemed to be that teachers were underpaid. When you figure their perks as well as the school hours shorter than an average workday; a couple of summer months off, tenure.....such a deal!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
n/a

Here we go again. The minute times get bad it time to bash the teachers.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
n/a

Not at all. They provide a very important and valuable service teaching our children. But...at least in Wisconsin, it's time teachers start paying there fair share for health care benefits and retirement. And...local school districts should be able to get rid of teachers that aren't performing their jobs! Can't do that with the union!

Wisconsin is running a deficit -paying out millions more than it takes in via taxes - and doesn't have any more money. They interviewed several teachers on the news and all they kept spewing was the union line - more taxes for the top 2% income earners. These are educated people who can't think for themselves.

I'm not a teacher basher and several of my friends children are teachers. They got into teaching for their love of kids but also because of the great benefits, retirement plan, and summers off! They've told me that!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
n/a

I don't think this has anything to do with teachers,police,fire. This is an attempt to get rid of unions simple as that.But only certain unions. Why are public safety officer unions exempt from this? Find out the answer and it will tell you what this is really about. And why are the KOch brothers butting in?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 PM
n/a

All I know is that I live in Wisconsin and my taxes have gone up and up while my salary has remained stagnant. Governor Walker ran on an agenda last fall of cutting costs and balancing the state budget. He was voted in by an overwhelming majority of the people.

It wasn't only the teachers union singled out. Other state and munincipal workers are included but you are correct that police and fire are not. I don't know why nor do I care. I have no personal knowledge of the Koch Brothers and, like you, can only read what the newspapers write.

Last fall, after Governor Walker was elected, he had preliminary discussions with the unions about possible changes he was hoping the unions would be receptive to and included members contributing to their health insurance and their retirement plans. The union, in not say many words, told him to take a hike! This week, they decide they are willing to negotiate with him but don't touch collective bargaining!

Why shouldn't local schools and government be able to negotiate their own contracts with their employees instead of a union whose only concern is lining it's pockets! Why do busloads of protestors need to be bused up from Illinois by the unions? And why does Jesse Jackson need to show up in Madison? And why are the 14 democratic senators in hiding in Illinois rather than in the Capitol doing their jobs?

Something stinks here and it's not Governor Walker or the Republicans trying to restore fiscal responsibility to the State of Wisconsin!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM
n/a

Excellent posts and discussion on this one guys. I'm behind Gov. Walker and the residents of Wisconsin trying to do the right thing and get their budget under control.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
n/a

The teachers can still win this discussion by showing up for work, apologizing to the students and their parents, encouraging their democratic legislators to return to Wisconsin and fight for them, and taking their case to the voters. That would be the adult thing to do. If they do not do those things, they are going to lose and lose big. If they want to lie about being sick to go demonstrating, the "governator" should reduce their sick days next year by the number of days they miss during this strike. I think the people of Wisconsin are thinking right now the teachers are overpaid brats.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 PM
n/a

For those interested.

Quick facts about Wisconsin’s Budget Repair Legislation

1.) The plan is about reform: Wisconsin’s Budget Repair legislation is about enacting modest – but critical – reforms to public sector entitlement programs that are long past due. The proposal takes on some of the most egregious violators of taxpayer dollars including public employee unions and public sector pensions.

2.) Ending public sector collective bargaining: The plan would end the practice of public sector union bosses strong-arming politicians for exorbitant benefits and absurd contract concessions. The plan rightly calls for an end to the ability of certain public sector unions to band together to pressure policymakers into unnecessary contract concessions.

3.) Respecting the taxpayer: When public sector workers – who are paid with taxpayers dollars – resort to bullying tactics to gain sweetheart contracts filled with plush benefits unheard of in the private sector the taxpayer loses every time.

4.) Respecting the public’s trust: When teachers choose not to teach purely to pad their already lavish contracts with taxpayer dollars they are violating a sacred public trust. Using students and their parents as leverage in contract disputes is a tried and true practice of teacher’s unions that must end.

5.) Stopping out-of-control benefit costs in the public sector: The proposal would prevent unions from forcing extravagant pension and health benefits on the state that only serve to further cripple state budget. Also, the plan would make the commonsense change that public sector wage increases could not exceed a cap based on the consumer price index (CPI) unless
approved by voters.

6.) Also, some contracts would be limited to one year and wage rates would be frozen until the new contract is settled

7.) The public vs. private sector: In Wisconsin, private sector workers make 74% of their state-level public sector counterparts. This is the 48th worst pay differential in the nation and clearly shows that the public sector employee unions aren’t hurting for better pay or benefits.

8.) Paying a fair share: The plan also would help ease the tremendous financial burden placed on the state by its bloated pension plan by finally requiring some public workers to pay their fair share into the program.
Overall, public employees would fund 50 percent of the annual pension payment – a total that would require a modest contribution of 5.8 percent of 2011’s salary.

9.) More needed reforms: The plan also makes much needed reforms to other problems complicating Wisconsin’s fiscal future. Among them, restructuring the state’s debt burden will help reduce debt service costs by $165 million in fiscal year 2010-11.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis11003 View Post
I sent an e-mail to Governer Walker telling him I support him and that he will win this fight. The people of Wisconsin spoke last year when they elected him governor because he had a vision for cutting the projected $3.2 billion dollar deficit over the next two years.

Governor Walker wants teacher to pay 12.5% of their health care costs and contribute 5.8% of their salaries into their pension plans. Currently, they pay ZERO! Currently, the AVERAGE teacher salary in Wisconsin is around $53,000 with another $20,000 in benefits. Pretty good for 9 months of work. In the Milwaukee Public School System, the AVERAGE with benefits is just over $100,000.

The more critical issue is collective bargaining. The union negotiates contracts for everyone in the state - good teachers and bad teachers and there is almost no chance to get rid of underperforming teachers. Removing collective bargaining would allow the individual school districts or communities to negotiate with their teachers and not the union. The union would become almost irrelevent in the state of Wisconsin.

Governor Walker has the votes to pass the measure as there are 19 Republican Senators and only 14 Democrat senators but, state law requires a quorum of 20 present for any voting so all the Democrats left for Illinois so no voting could take place. Up and left the state and people were cheering them!

I would never bash teachers as they have a very important and difficult job but they need to be in touch with what most workers are facing - reduced salaries, reduced benefits and ever increasing taxes!

By the way, the Democratic National Committee sent busloads of protestors from Illinois to Madison yesterday and the Reverend Jesse Jackson also showed up.

I don't know if it can be done but I would jail all the senators that fled the state for derilection of duty and fire the teachers who took a sick day to protest in Madison. Whole school systems were shut down because not enough substitutes could be found. Parents were left scrambling looking for day care options or having to take off from their own jobs to look after their kids.

It's a circus but when Governor Walker is successful, other states may also take his lead and see what can be done. Taxpayers can't keep the trough filled too much longer!
YOU AND GOV WALKER HAVE MY FULL SUPPORT. HE WAS ELECTED TO DO JUST THIS THING. The nerve of the guy trying to get the teachers to carry their share. I say fire the teachers.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
n/a

Fox and Friends showed teachers being written fake sick slips by doctors right there on the street during the protest. THAT teacher should be fired. THAT doctor should have her license revoked for fraud.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 AM
n/a

Default Isn't it a shame the media shapes how we think and feel

personally about ourselves or a specific group. The protests being filmed are about the teachers that are in the lens of the camera. They by the way should be labeled the protest teachers or the absent teachers or the dork teachers...they should not be viewed as representative of the teachers of Wisconsin......because the teachers of Wisconsin are at work, in the classroom teaching......THEY ARE THE MAJORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet we the people fall in line with the thinking and the direction of choice of the media that sensationalizes the minority groups.
The media would have you believe that what you see looking through a straw (their camera by the way) is the way of the world.

I am for the teachers...the MAJORITY that are doing their jobs.
The demonstrators are entitled to their opinions. It is just too bad they are not PROFESSIONAL enough to do their job and demonstrate AFTER school. That would be the responsible way to demonstrate.

Hats off to the majority who know their priority and profession.

btk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.