Would You Give Up Your Citizenship?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:32 PM
n/a

Default Would You Give Up Your Citizenship?

I read this article today and it got me thinking about what it would take for me to surrender my American citizenship:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/record...175736337.html

This article really focuses on the economic reasons that people give up their passport, but every now and then, you hear of someone saying that "if so-and-so is elected, I'm moving to another country," presumably never to return. Of course, to the best of my knowledge, these people never leave, but it still makes me wonder:

What would it take for you to give up your American citizenship?

[For the record, I'm not leaving.]
Old 02-10-2015, 03:08 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjim View Post
I read this article today and it got me thinking about what it would take for me to surrender my American citizenship:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/record...175736337.html

This article really focuses on the economic reasons that people give up their passport, but every now and then, you hear of someone saying that "if so-and-so is elected, I'm moving to another country," presumably never to return. Of course, to the best of my knowledge, these people never leave, but it still makes me wonder:

What would it take for you to give up your American citizenship?

[For the record, I'm not leaving.]
There is nothing I can think of to ever surrender my citizenship in the USA.

Canada could be an alternative.

No matter how bad any one person might think life here is or might be.....the USA is still the best place to live.

I guess it depends what one is wanting to get away from.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM
n/a

Never! Even if the other party gets in.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
n/a

LORD NO.

It was hard enough for me to give up my Ohio license.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
n/a

Never ever will I surrender my citizenship. As bad as it is right now I know it will get better.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM
n/a

nope, never would.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
There is nothing I can think of to ever surrender my citizenship in the USA.

Canada could be an alternative.

No matter how bad any one person might think life here is or might be.....the USA is still the best place to live.

I guess it depends what one is wanting to get away from.
...... and that one line says it all .............
Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM
n/a

Another Bush in the White House!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 PM
n/a

Never ever say never. Many people including me have commented that this is not the country they grew up in and came to love. Perhaps what I see is too pessimistic but the government's continues its power grab and interference in our lives , the cesspool referred to as Hollywood is becoming commonplace in people lives, while a population continues to grow feeling it is entitled to live on the dole, and our political and voting system is dysfunctional and rigged. This has all led to corruption unethical dealings, narcissism a sexually obsessed society etc. If these trends do not reverse I can see where citizens in the future would want to flee like many Jews in Europe are now contemplating today.

Barbara Streisand told David Axlerod that "Obama needed to speak to people in simpler terms because , I hate to say it but people are stupid

If people do not sit up take notice and mae demands to what made this nation great well shame on us

Look at the reaction to Fifty Shades of Grey
Look at the behavior of the Grammy's and the play they get from television
Look at the reality shows
Look at the quality of politicians being elected
Look at the behavior of teachers
Look at the behavior of corporations

Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
n/a

Australia would be my first choice.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM
n/a

I agree Rubicon and am grateful I am retired and have that option if need be. I worry about my kids and don't have grandchildren at this point. Although past generations have shook their heads and wondered where this world is going with boys in long hair and girls not wearing bras at least it wasn't a threat to our national security and the fiber of the American family.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM
n/a

I have dual citizenship. I would hate to give up either one, but even if I chose German citizenship over American, it would for financial reasons only. My heart would always be American.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Australia would be my first choice.
Australia is a great place but an expensive place! I spent a short time in Sydney and a short time in Darwin. Sydney is a MUST place to visit and Darwin can be extremely hot and humid in their summer.

Economic citizenship is offered by many countries and has been used by lots of Americans. Two passports and lots of tax advantages are some of the benefits.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:18 AM
n/a

Scotland would be my first choice and a small town, not one of the cities.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.