Any advice on which course to play next week?

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Sage
Default Any advice on which course to play next week?

Someone is visiting this coming Monday and Tuesday and they would like to play a new course (to them). Specifically Bonifay, Evans Prairie or Belle Glade.

I have not played them since aeration. Any comments on conditions? For me, greens are most important in any analysis.

Thanks for any insight...
Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Gold member
Default Greens Generally Very Good

Have not played any of the courses you listed recently, but played Glennview, Palmer and Havana over the past two weeks and found the greens to be really good. Best I've seen in four years in TV. They look like they should be fast but for some reason they aren't. But no complaints.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Played Havana Kilamanjaro (fast greens) to Kenya (slow greens) this past Tuesday; what couple of times I was in a bunker, the sand was too fluffy and seemed like there was no base. Otherwise, the fairways were in great shape.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Sage
Default Anybody played one the the three in OP recently?

Thanks for the tips so far, but he has played them. I would take him to Glenview and Palmer based my recent plays.

I am hopeful someone has advice on Bonifay, Evans Prairie or Belle Glade. I hate to try them without knowing conditions. Last time I had guests, I did that, I was pretty embarrassed trying to show off my home town .

Request goes in tonight. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I play Belle Glade the most, probably 5 times in the last 2 months, in fact I'm playing there tomorrow. It was aerified on Sept 1st, usually I like to give the courses at least 3 weeks before I'll play them but my neighbor put in the teetime. Havana (Kenya to Hemingway) use to be my favorite, but now Belle Glade (Calusa to Tequesta) is my favorite. The layout is very scenic, fairways are plush, it's just a fun 18 holes, Tequesta has a lot of water and both par 3's are like island type greens. The Seminole nine is by the new dog run and nature walk, that nine isn't bad, but it's kind of squeezed into a space that is too small. I guess because of the power lines and the hills in that area Seminole had to suffer. So go with Calusa to Tequesta.

Bonifay had aerification on August 2nd, so that's not a problem. I played (Destin to Ft. Walton) about 2 weeks ago, it was same as always. Pretty good shape, the fairways have never really have grown in like I would want. Belle Glade's fairways were plush and beautiful almost from the start, where Bonifay is still somewhat hard and thin, but you do get a lot of roll out. Pensacola is the newest nine, didn't open for about a year after the other two. Pensacola and Destin have one oddity, they each have 3 par 5's, 3 par 3's and 3 par 4's. Ft. Walton has the normal layout. Destin and Ft. Walton are north of Pinellas and Pensacola is south of Pinellas and they rotate clockwise. Put in for any of them and you'll enjoy the course.

Evans Prairie was aerified August 16th, so no problem there. I played (Osprey to Egret) about two weeks ago, that's one of my favorite 18's. The course was pretty nice, it's not as hard and thin as Bonifay but not as plush as Belle Glade. Those two nines I only dislike one hole, that's Osprey's #2 the par 5 where the million home was hit by lightning and burned down about 3 years ago. Too much water and narrow for a par 5. They rotate counterclockwise, so put in for Osprey and then you'll go to Egret, that's a nice tight nine. Killdeer is east of Buena Vista along 466A, it butts up to Bonifay. I would avoid Killdeer, the last 3 holes ruin the whole nine. They are tight little tricky holes, I dislike holes where you can't use a driver off the tee, especially a par 5, which is like #8. Also Killdeer #4 is a par 3, we play from the blues and it's 185. There is water left, big time swamp and a big oak tree on the right, so it's probably the toughest par 3 in TV.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM

You won't be disappointed if you play Belle Glade
Old 09-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Sage

John_W. Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I just saw that Belle Glade was aerated on 9/1. I am not comfortable going there quite yet (unless someone says they are great).

I have played all of the courses quite a bit, was just curious of the conditions, especially the putting surfaces.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Stuff snipped by Alan...

I would avoid Killdeer, the last 3 holes ruin the whole nine. They are tight little tricky holes, I dislike holes where you can't use a driver off the tee, especially a par 5, which is like #8. Also Killdeer #4 is a par 3, we play from the blues and it's 185. There is water left, big time swamp and a big oak tree on the right, so it's probably the toughest par 3 in TV.
Played Killdeer yesterday. I started out birdie, double (miss green right, chunk, chip to 6 feet, miss putt), birdie, double (Long left into hazard, drop, chip to 8 feet miss putt ) . Number 4 is a tough hole, especially with that pin back left.

I was thinking of your post when playing 7,8 and 9. I almost always hit driver on 7 and 9. Heck 7 of over 400 yards and 9 was close to 390. I have hit driver in the past on 8, I see it as a great risk reward tee shot. I cannot get home in two with iron off the tee, so if I wish to get home I need to hit a 4 wood or driver into a very tight area.

I thought the conditions were OK. Certainly playable, but no rave reviews.

Last edited by ajbrown; 09-17-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I played Belle Glade (Tequesta to Seminole) yesterday. The fairways were excellent. The greens had the small aerification holes but no sand on top. Some greens you hardly notice them and some you could see easily. The greens rolled pretty fast, maybe even faster than normal since the grass was cut very short. The tees also had puncture marks, but that is not a problem.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I play Belle Glade the most, probably 5 times in the last 2 months, in fact I'm playing there tomorrow. It was aerified on Sept 1st, usually I like to give the courses at least 3 weeks before I'll play them but my neighbor put in the teetime. Havana (Kenya to Hemingway) use to be my favorite, but now Belle Glade (Calusa to Tequesta) is my favorite. The layout is very scenic, fairways are plush, it's just a fun 18 holes, Tequesta has a lot of water and both par 3's are like island type greens. The Seminole nine is by the new dog run and nature walk, that nine isn't bad, but it's kind of squeezed into a space that is too small. I guess because of the power lines and the hills in that area Seminole had to suffer. So go with Calusa to Tequesta.

Bonifay had aerification on August 2nd, so that's not a problem. I played (Destin to Ft. Walton) about 2 weeks ago, it was same as always. Pretty good shape, the fairways have never really have grown in like I would want. Belle Glade's fairways were plush and beautiful almost from the start, where Bonifay is still somewhat hard and thin, but you do get a lot of roll out. Pensacola is the newest nine, didn't open for about a year after the other two. Pensacola and Destin have one oddity, they each have 3 par 5's, 3 par 3's and 3 par 4's. Ft. Walton has the normal layout. Destin and Ft. Walton are north of Pinellas and Pensacola is south of Pinellas and they rotate clockwise. Put in for any of them and you'll enjoy the course.

Evans Prairie was aerified August 16th, so no problem there. I played (Osprey to Egret) about two weeks ago, that's one of my favorite 18's. The course was pretty nice, it's not as hard and thin as Bonifay but not as plush as Belle Glade. Those two nines I only dislike one hole, that's Osprey's #2 the par 5 where the million home was hit by lightning and burned down about 3 years ago. Too much water and narrow for a par 5. They rotate counterclockwise, so put in for Osprey and then you'll go to Egret, that's a nice tight nine. Killdeer is east of Buena Vista along 466A, it butts up to Bonifay. I would avoid Killdeer, the last 3 holes ruin the whole nine. They are tight little tricky holes, I dislike holes where you can't use a driver off the tee, especially a par 5, which is like #8. Also Killdeer #4 is a par 3, we play from the blues and it's 185. There is water left, big time swamp and a big oak tree on the right, so it's probably the toughest par 3 in TV.

Whole 8 is a very tight drive with water on the right and wetlands all the way down the left but if you're hitting your driver you have the opportunity to reach the green in 2.Risk ,reward is high but sometimes worth it!
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Played Killdeer yesterday. I started out birdie, double (miss green right, chunk, chip to 6 feet, miss putt), birdie, double (Long left into hazard, drop, chip to 8 feet miss putt ) . Number 4 is a tough hole, especially with that pin back left.

I was thinking of your post when playing 7,8 and 9. I almost always hit driver on 7 and 9. Heck 7 of over 400 yards and 9 was close to 390. I have hit driver in the past on 8, I see it as a great risk reward tee shot. I cannot get home in two with iron off the tee, so if I wish to get home I need to hit a 4 wood or driver into a very tight area.

I thought the conditions were OK. Certainly playable, but no rave reviews
I played Glenview a few days ago and the greens were awesome.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, aeration, played, glade, comments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.