Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Exclamation Cane Garden

I played there today, Hibiscus/Jacaranda. No one mentioned that the whole course was covered with fertilizer or that they've added 3-4 inches of sand in the bunkers. The extra, wet sand was not fun. I'll try to avoid it in the future. As for the fertilizer, it would be nice to know whether or not it's caustic. Some of us have issues with chemicals and it would have been nice to have been forewarned. Otherwise, course is shaping up just fine.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Default Sand and fertilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigberk View Post
I played there today, Hibiscus/Jacaranda. No one mentioned that the whole course was covered with fertilizer or that they've added 3-4 inches of sand in the bunkers. The extra, wet sand was not fun. I'll try to avoid it in the future. As for the fertilizer, it would be nice to know whether or not it's caustic. Some of us have issues with chemicals and it would have been nice to have been forewarned. Otherwise, course is shaping up just fine.
There are signs (usually) posted at the tee boxes (like hole 1 and 10) saying the fertilizer is non-toxic. Other than that I don't think we can find out the exact chemical. I like how this is tinted green to make the golf course look better!

I suspect that the schedule for these operation are known to the long time residents, but most are not recording the dates and times. You could call the course beforehand and ask, they probably know the current conditions.

I too was surprised a bit at Lopez by this, so it must have been "top dressing (sand) and fertilizer" week.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
There are signs (usually) posted at the tee boxes (like hole 1 and 10) saying the fertilizer is non-toxic. Other than that I don't think we can find out the exact chemical. I like how this is tinted green to make the golf course look better!

I suspect that the schedule for these operation are known to the long time residents, but most are not recording the dates and times. You could call the course beforehand and ask, they probably know the current conditions.

I too was surprised a bit at Lopez by this, so it must have been "top dressing (sand) and fertilizer" week.
All Chemicals that applied are listed in the golf shops if you request to see them, when in doubt go into the golf shop and ask to see what was put on that day. They also have the MSDS sheets for all the products.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,833 Times in 772 Posts

I asked myself, “What is a Cane Garden?” I was picturing a garden for growing rattan for making canes to help us walk, with a section for growing crutches at the far end, and a little patch for growing the rubber tips. I looked it up. It seems to be taken from Cane Garden Bay, in the British Virgin Islands, which I read is named after a plantation of sugar cane surrounding the plantation house of the owner. Not a picturesque garden. A working garden. So as you play, imagine people with machetes working in the cane garden, burning and then cutting the cane, then pressing it to make cane juice, molasses, sugar, and rum. Then sit on the veranda with a rum and coke and smile.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,247 Times in 2,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
Wow, grumpy old people must complain about something.
Seems a perfectly reasonable post to me.
You seem to be the one with their knickers in a twist.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Quote:
added 3-4 inches of sand in the bunkers. The extra, wet sand was not fun. I'll try to avoid it in the future.
You should always avoid bunkers.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Bunkers are great
Old 10-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Bunkers are great
Sandy pars are worth a dollar.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:36 AM

posted on line look it up
Old 11-01-2020, 07:41 AM

Putting color to fertilizers is a well known practice to ensure that all parts are supplied the fertilizer evenly. If not players would complain how uneven the grass is and create issues with their game. Green is a good color to use to further stem criticism.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:05 AM

Sand in sand bunkers? What a crazy idea!
Old 11-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Default Look It Up

Quote:
Check golf the villages.com before you make your tee time. Be responsible and keep yourself informed. Don’t expect to be fed information on a platter. Exert yourself.
Closed Thread

Tags
nice, sand, fertilizer, shaping, issues

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.