Championship Course Fairways

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Default Championship Course Fairways

Either the type of turf or mowing the fairways too short on the Championship Courses here in TV I see as a negative compared to the better courses I have played here in Florida and elsewhere. The length of the fairway turf on the Championship Courses here in TV is seldom longer than that on the greens. I would guess the shorter turf requires more water, is more likely to be damaged and is more difficult to maintain than a more lush turf.

Is it possible to have more lush and better fairways on our TV Championship Courses?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
Either the type of turf or mowing the fairways too short on the Championship Courses here in TV I see as a negative compared to the better courses I have played here in Florida and elsewhere. The length of the fairway turf on the Championship Courses here in TV is seldom longer than that on the greens. I would guess the shorter turf requires more water, is more likely to be damaged and is more difficult to maintain than a more lush turf.

Is it possible to have more lush and better fairways on our TV Championship Courses?
Why does everyone compare TV courses to "the better courses I have played here in Florida and elsewhere." Your "better" courses are probably resort or private courses and probably no where do you play courses that get the amount of play TV courses get. When TV 'suggested' a week or so ago, to go back to 2 carts per group, everyone is up in arms. Many or most of your 'elsewere' courses have now gone to 2 carts per foursome. TV is instituting a new RA tag system, because the current RA tag owners are abusing the priviledge and damaging the courses. Again, in Jan 2021, I expect an uprising of those who feel discriminated against. I have lived here 9 years, and TV Championship courses have been in the best shape for the entire 2020 year than ever before in my 9 years.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Fairways

But you didn't answer the question, why are our fairways so short. Is it the type of grass, if not, why mow that short. I have never played fairways this short until I moved to florida. Just would like to understand it.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

They're short because they no longer overseed with winter rye in the fall and the bermuda fairways go dormant during the winter and don't grow. Think texas golf with hardpan fairways, dry greens and long runouts. It's not a mystery...it's all about $$$ and not enough people play the 18 hole courses to spend the extra cash on overseed.

It requires extra practice to learn how to play in these conditions...so there's an extra challenge. If it's to much then tee it up in the fairway.
Closed Thread

Tags
championship, turf, courses, fairways, lush

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.