Course Conditions for upcoming season

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
I have been around and worked on golf courses both north and south for the better part of 62 years. The Director is doing as well as he can given what he has to work with. My comments were not criticizing the Director, just clarifying the fact that the courses will look worse and the fairways play worse than if proper overseeding was done. This is purely a cost savings move and it should be stated rather than skirting the issue. They want to spend less on maintaining the championship tracks. That is the mandate. Don't sugar coat by telling us they are trying to be good stewards of our resources or that it will look better in the long run by doing this
I have to ask what being around and "worked on" golf courses for the better part of 62 years mean?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM

It means that I have done everything from laying sod to digging out traps, to cutting fairways and greens to teaching at both private and public courses. Moving a bit off topic. I am saying that it is more than likely the costs associated with overseeding that are pushing this forward. Someone asked about the actual cost and while I cant tell you what the maintenance team would be paying I can give you a rough idea of the requirement. The average course would utilize approx. 500 lb per acre to overseed. A few years ago the cost would be in the $125k-$225k per 18 hole course to overseed. Certainly The Villages has some economies of scale relative to their buying power but the cost is not insignificant.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
It means that I have done everything from laying sod to digging out traps, to cutting fairways and greens to teaching at both private and public courses. Moving a bit off topic. I am saying that it is more than likely the costs associated with overseeding that are pushing this forward. Someone asked about the actual cost and while I cant tell you what the maintenance team would be paying I can give you a rough idea of the requirement. The average course would utilize approx. 500 lb per acre to overseed. A few years ago the cost would be in the $125k-$225k per 18 hole course to overseed. Certainly The Villages has some economies of scale relative to their buying power but the cost is not insignificant.
So, the question is what makes this season different from the past. Play has been good. Year over year, play has increased. One can assume revenue has not decreased to an extent that it makes overseeding impossibly expensive compared to last year. So, what has changed? Rain.

I don't think the developer who has done so much right in marketing this place would intentionally cause the golf courses, that are such an integral part of the appeal, to look less than their best during the high season unless it was out of his control. And nothing related to money is out of their control. But Mother Nature is.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Taking the lower number and using round numbers we are talking just north of two million dollars to overseed The Villiages Championship golf courses. That is a significant amount of money.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I read with interest Rickey Craig, the new Director of golf Maintenance's article about their plans to "adjust" overseed strategies for the upcoming season. While pointing to the lack of rain, the message was clear about the overseed strategies for this fall and winter. Bottom line is that the greens and tees only will be overseeded. While not a huge deal for the Executive Courses, it will have a significant impact on the look and aesthetics of the Championship Courses. They can say what they want about raising the height of the cut on the fairways and pigments to help support Bermuda grass, history says you wont be pleased with the result. Are the plans in place to reduce the fall/ winter bump in daily fees to accompany this? Probably not. I have witnessed many courses where this was done in the "interest of being a good steward of our resources" the bottom line is the paring back of expenses. Very disappointing
I too read the article and came away with a somewhat different take on what Mr. Craig said. He did indeed cite the lack of rain we've all experienced first hand this season but he also referenced the impact the lack of rain has on water resources influencing his decision. That said, he did leave the option that if we suddenly received a lot of rain the over-seed decisions could be revisited. I would love to see our golf courses be a vibrant green from tee-to-green but Mother Nature is not cooperating thus compromises are necessary. Let's just hope that Mother Nature doesn't make this last summer our new norm.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

All you wannabe (armchair) greens superintendents, hop your fat butts (with your 20+ handicaps) out of your recliners, drive up to the La Reina bldg. at Spanish Springs, go to GMS on the 2nd floor and turn in your applications to Todd Basso; I'm sure your ideas won't even get a second sniff.

Wow! I knew when I saw the email regarding this, there would be crybabies and whiners coming out of the woodwork ****ing and moaning about course conditions and offering their lack of knowledge of what should be done.

Give Rickey Craig a chance. Considering the lack of rains we've had, the privileged/entitled who refuse to "fix them, fill them and rake them" and those that drive between the traps and greens well within the 15' limit, I think he's done a great job in the short time he's been here.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:45 AM

In the short time i have been here all the courses south of Palmer have much better fairway conditions than in the past. There is more grass and I don't see the maintenance crew mowing the dirt any more. Seem to me that the new guy has made a positive difference so far.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Let's interject just a little logic into this discussion:

IF, in years gone by when the summer rainfall was inadequate they skipped over seeding, but over seeded in years with normal rainfall

AND IF we are 7 inches short this year

THEN the logical conclusion is that the decision not to over seed this year is based on the weather not cost savings

Also, a word about over seeding cost. According to the referenced article, over seeding with rye costs $700-900/acre. So how many acres of FAIRWAYS are there on championship courses?? Good question, so I'll attempt to estimate. I'll ignore the par 3's that have little fairway and just overestimate the remaining holes a bit. The par 4's vary considerably---the fairway on 8 of Egret starts about 200 yds. short of the green, but is wide about 100 yd. short. Number 6 of Seminole has a lot less fairway than average. Even though #1 of Destin is shorter than #1 of Egret, it has more fairway. I think if we estimate an average of 300 yds. of fairway at 50 yds. wide we should be in the ballpark. 300 x 50 = 15,000 sq. yds. = 135,000 sq. ft. = approx. 3 acres. This would be (ignoring the par 3's) 21 acres/9 holes x 34 championship 9's =714 acres. At $700/acre this is about 1/2 million, not the many millions cited above. Another way to look at that cost is that with over 1 million championship rounds/year it is less than 50 cents from each greens fee. There are other pros and cons of over seeding listed in this article. I think it best to allow the golf course professionals do their job and not second guess them or decide what their motivation might be.

OVERSEEDING BERMUDAGRASS FAIRWAYS: POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have never played on painted courses. Are they any different than a course that is not painted and not overseeded? It just seems to me, one would have tighter lies on the fairways, and after a lot of play, maybe some bad lies due to divots and wear. My former golf course painted the greens instead of overseeding one year. Didn't play it, so don't know the effect.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:34 AM
TOTV Moderator

2 threads on this topic were merged together. Posts appear in chronological order.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Default Overseeding

Have played many courses who don't oversees in the winter such as "The Landings" in Georgia and except for the brown color of the grass are in much better condition than any of our courses here in "The Villages" I'll take a nice lie on the fairway anyday compared with something that looks green. I'm confident that this young man has much more experience in improving our courses than 99.9% of us.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Today's Daily Sun tells us The Villages will only overseed the greens and tees this year. The rest of the course will be mowed higher until such time as the Bermuda goes dormant. Plant pigment (read paint) will then be applied. Sounds like a disaster to me. (Daily Sun, 8/24/16, Page B3)
Pretty common maintenance plan for Florida golf courses.

By the way, it's not paint. It's more like a food coloring.

There's noting wrong with playing off of dormant Bermuda. In fact a lot of good players prefer it. Plant pigment is added to make it look nice because most golfers think that green is good.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Sage

I'm fine giving the new guy a chance. Mallory has been good recently.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage

After being a bit embarrassed when bringing guests last March and April why not try something new. Many courses use this approach.

One thing to watch... Combine the fact that Bermuda will remain dormant until May with the large amount of traffic the courses get, I ponder what the fairways will look like with sand filled divots and wear.

Maybe our group will have a local rule to play sand filled divots as GUR or maybe it will not be an issue at all

I will save my comments until February, March and April
Old 08-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Sage

I was just about to start a thread and ask why this thread closed (at my own peril) . I went to get the link to the thread and find it was re-opened.

Thank you.

Tags
season, upcoming, conditions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.