Courses Stiil Closed?

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Courses Stiil Closed?

Does anyone else find it absurd that all of the golf courses are still closed almost two weeks after the hurricane?

I've driven by several of the executive courses and many look completely playable to me. Why is it that golf courses all around The Villages are open and playable? Is it because they won't open any if all are not ready?

I'd really love to know what's going on.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Does anyone else find it absurd that all of the golf courses are still closed almost two weeks after the hurricane?

I've driven by several of the executive courses and many look completely playable to me. Why is it that golf courses all around The Villages are open and playable? Is it because they won't open any if all are not ready?

Here you are, Kiddo.
Many, not all, Golf Courses soon to reopen.

ONE of my guesses is that they didn't want any unexpected sinkhole's to harm us.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:00 PM

Over the past 2 weeks, the main focus has been to lower the levels of the water storage basins on the golf courses and throughout the community for your overall safety. This has been primarily accomplished by irrigating the golf courses and roadways. The good news is the golf courses performed exactly as designed and engineered by protecting the community from the large volumes of water received from Hurricane Irma.

We are pleased to announce that as of next Wednesday, September 27th we will be opening the following golf courses. As of noon today, you will be able to make a request for these courses in the tee time system for next Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.

Executive courses: Pimlico, Churchill Greens, Belmont, Bogart, Bacall, Redfish Run, Tarpon Boil, Yankee Clipper, Southern Star, Walnut Grove, Briarwood, De La Vista, Chula Vista, Saddlebrook and Hawkes Bay.

Championship courses: Palmer Legends all 27 holes, Cane Garden all 27 holes, Lopez Legacy 18 holes (Torri Pines and Erinn Glenn), Havana 18 holes (Kenya and Hemingway), Tierra De Sol, Glenview Champions 13 holes (Stirrup Cup and Talley Ho 1-3 & 9) and Mallory Hill 18 holes (Amelia and Virginia).

While we are able to open these courses Wednesday, many areas of the community still have very high water levels and the courses will be needed to continue to lower the basin levels. We will open them as soon as the water levels have returned to normal and the courses are both safe and playable.

Keep in mind, upon re-opening, the courses will be safe and playable. However, in some cases they have sustained significant damage in some areas and are very wet from not only the storm, but the large amount of irrigation they have received in lowering the basins. Please be patient as we continue to work on returning our community’s golf courses to their normal condition.

Please check daily the Daily Sun, GolftheVillages.com, Districtgov.org , VNN or listen to WVLG for updates on reopening of more golf courses.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

Why don't you know what is going on? No, seriously, the information is out there. Some of us have posted repeatedly about where to find out things. I can only imagine what it must be like to not know anything. I could not live that way. The District Government has a web site that you help pay for with all the info.many ask about. Why wouldn't you read it?
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

And how many complaints will be posted on Wednesday re the conditions of the courses that are opened????????

Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
And how many complaints will be posted on Wednesday re the conditions of the courses that are opened????????
I would like to know what the over/under is on that!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Sorry what I find absurd is people wondering why the courses are still closed. Does anyone really think that they don't want to open them? There are numerous issues on courses they you do not know about or you can see from the road. One MAJOR difference here compared to outside the villages, is that the courses here are designed to act as flood plains. They did their jobs, I have not heard of any homes being flooded here. And if you are really wondering why some are still closed, drive by Turtle Mound, Evans, Bonifay!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Sorry what I find absurd is people wondering why the courses are still closed. Does anyone really think that they don't want to open them? There are numerous issues on courses they you do not know about or you can see from the road. One MAJOR difference here compared to outside the villages, is that the courses here are designed to act as flood plains. They did their jobs, I have not heard of any homes being flooded here. And if you are really wondering why some are still closed, drive by Turtle Mound, Evans, Bonifay!
Guess you don't count the historical side, imo the main reason there not open is some has to drive within 3 feet of they're golf ball and their safety is at risk cause they can't comprehend STAY WAY from the FLOODED AREA!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

IMO big difference, outside they have to get the course ready cause there livelyhood depends on it. I sure the championship courses will be first to open? I also think getting approved FEMA monies have delayed the start of the cleanup off and on the courses. IMO overall they doing good job especially if you seen the size of the tree that split across road on the golf course from palmers. That tree was Hugh!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It will be interesting to see how many courses/holes are 'cart path/rough only'...and how much complaining about it will occur.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Guess you don't count the historical side, imo the main reason there not open is some has to drive within 3 feet of they're golf ball and their safety is at risk cause they can't comprehend STAY WAY from the FLOODED AREA!
I can not comment on the historical side, unlike some people here I don,t comment on what I have not seen. I have heard some of the courses got hit really bad. They, the courses, are working very hard to open all when SAFE and ready.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:00 PM

Over the past 2 weeks, the main focus has been to lower the levels of the water storage basins on the golf courses and throughout the community for your overall safety. This has been primarily accomplished by irrigating the golf courses and roadways. The good news is the golf courses performed exactly as designed and engineered by protecting the community from the large volumes of water received from Hurricane Irma.

We are pleased to announce that as of next Wednesday, September 27th we will be opening the following golf courses. As of noon today, you will be able to make a request for these courses in the tee time system for next Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.

Executive courses: Pimlico, Churchill Greens, Belmont, Bogart, Bacall, Redfish Run, Tarpon Boil, Yankee Clipper, Southern Star, Walnut Grove, Briarwood, De La Vista, Chula Vista, Saddlebrook and Hawkes Bay.

Championship courses: Palmer Legends all 27 holes, Cane Garden all 27 holes, Lopez Legacy 18 holes (Torri Pines and Erinn Glenn), Havana 18 holes (Kenya and Hemingway), Tierra De Sol, Glenview Champions 13 holes (Stirrup Cup and Talley Ho 1-3 & 9) and Mallory Hill 18 holes (Amelia and Virginia).

While we are able to open these courses Wednesday, many areas of the community still have very high water levels and the courses will be needed to continue to lower the basin levels. We will open them as soon as the water levels have returned to normal and the courses are both safe and playable.

Keep in mind, upon re-opening, the courses will be safe and playable. However, in some cases they have sustained significant damage in some areas and are very wet from not only the storm, but the large amount of irrigation they have received in lowering the basins. Please be patient as we continue to work on returning our community’s golf courses to their normal condition.

Please check daily the Daily Sun, GolftheVillages.com, Districtgov.org , VNN or listen to WVLG for updates on reopening of more golf courses.
Is there any reason why the ponds on the golf courses and elsewhere in The Villages are not being dredged out so that they'll hold more water when we have an abundance of rain? It seems that we go from overflowing ponds to drought conditions in the winter.

Dredging the ponds would allow them to hold water and eliminate the need to close golf courses so that excess water can be expelled through the sprinkler system when the ponds get too full and also more water would be stored for the winter when water gets low.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Is there any reason why the ponds on the golf courses and elsewhere in The Villages are not being dredged out so that they'll hold more water when we have an abundance of rain? It seems that we go from overflowing ponds to drought conditions in the winter.

Dredging the ponds would allow them to hold water and eliminate the need to close golf courses so that excess water can be expelled through the sprinkler system when the ponds get too full and also more water would be stored for the winter when water gets low.
Yes there is a reason, the ponds have liners.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Plus there is a high water table here.....but I'm not an engineer. It's nice to know the folks that designed the courses and the flood plan knew what they were doing. If you are having golf withdrawal there are courses you can play outside the bubble. I'd rather give up a few weeks of golf then put carts out there too early.....and as stated before, listen to the complaining about conditions that will surely come.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Yep.

I also can't help but wonder, if the relatively high water table would even allow an increase (regardless of how deep the ponds were)...in how much 'runoff' the ponds could hold.

On Edit: JoMar beat me to it.

Closed Thread

Tags
courses, open, golf, closed, playable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.