Courses Stiil Closed?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My neighbor played Harbor Hills last week, he found a special for $33 includes cart and lunch. He asked if I wanted to go, but I had an appointment. He's a very good golfer, a 4 handicap. The next day I asked him how it was, he said he played awful and the place was awful. He said he couldn't tell what was damaged and what was like it was before, a lot of sand in places where the grass was under repair. Trees messed up, a course that shouldn't be open. He's a fellow that has to play or hit golf balls everyday or he's not happy.

The week before he went to Brooksville, World of Woods. It's a 36 hole layout and I've played there 3 times with him. I didn't go because I don't like the course, it's very hard and takes the fun out. Another special, only $30 and normally it's $60. He said there was trees laying over all over the place. We figured that's why it was so cheap, so people wouldn't complain so much.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You can't possibly actually believe that the executive courses are FREE, can you?

That is my point exactly. We are paying for something that we are not allowed to use.

I'm simply questioning whether or not the right decision has been made regarding closing these golf courses for two weeks after a storm.

I understand that a lot of people don't play golf but that is their choice. What is all of the rec centers and pools were closed for two weeks. How would every feel about that?

We pay a monthly fee and activity are promised for that fee. We all choose which activities that we want. When some activities are not available those people that use those activities are being made to pay for something that they don't get.

It is certainly understandable after a major storm such as we had that golf courses would be closed for a few days. All I'm saying is that over two week seems excessive. And I heard the excuse that they are not safe. How are they not safe? Are we a bunch of little kids that don't know how to avoid danger? Can we not decide for ourselves to take risks?

There is no reason that many of these courses couldn't have been opened with a cart path only policy a few days after the storm.

If the retention ponds have liners, then lift them up and dredge them out a foot or so. This is not just a golf course problem, but when these ponds go dry in the winter, they are unsightly and many stink.

It seems that we're constantly going from too much water to drought every year. Dredging the retention ponds and saving more of the water that we get in the summertime simply makes sense.
You'll feel better once Silver Lake, Hilltop, and Orange Blossom open.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
It is amazing, you don't want to listen to the facts, common sense or the truth. I have never met anyone who had all the answers until now. BTW cart path only... how do you get around the fallen trees and sink holes, knee deep water. OH I guess these issues are safe.
I don't think there's even been a modicum of thought given to the enormous cost and logistical issues (where are the trucks going to drive...across the courses? ) to remove liners, excavate the ponds to a deeper depth...that most likely won't make one bit of a difference anyway.

All because of a couple of weeks of inconvenience...due to a very rare occurrence?

You're correct...it IS simply amazing.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Yes what a shame, I have read for about 4 years his postings, laughed, agreed and disagreed. But talk about stirring the pot and drama, I only hope the other people on here understand he is wrong when talking like he is. The villages has many issues, but I gned up for, Boogie, again GET REAL!!!
Hahahaha definitely a pot stirrer!!! Guy knows EVERYTHING about any subject that is brought up as well! We are blessed to have his knowledge! Haha
Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You can't possibly actually believe that the executive courses are FREE, can you?

That is my point exactly. We are paying for something that we are not allowed to use.

I'm simply questioning whether or not the right decision has been made regarding closing these golf courses for two weeks after a storm.

I understand that a lot of people don't play golf but that is their choice. What if all of the rec centers and pools were closed for two weeks. How would every feel about that?

We pay a monthly fee and activity are promised for that fee. We all choose which activities that we want. When some activities are not available those people that use those activities are being made to pay for something that they don't get.

It is certainly understandable after a major storm such as we had that golf courses would be closed for a few days. All I'm saying is that over two week seems excessive. And I heard the excuse that they are not safe. How are they not safe? Are we a bunch of little kids that don't know how to avoid danger? Can we not decide for ourselves to take risks?

There is no reason that many of these courses couldn't have been opened with a cart path only policy a few days after the storm.

If the retention ponds have liners, then lift them up and dredge them out a foot or so. This is not just a golf course problem, but when these ponds go dry in the winter, they are unsightly and many stink.

It seems that we're constantly going from too much water to drought every year. Dredging the retention ponds and saving more of the water that we get in the summertime simply makes sense.
Of course they are free (if you walk).

Think of it this way, if you didn't golf...what is your amenity fee per month?

Now, how much extra are you paying...if you play an executive course and walk?

If you're paying anything extra...you should report the starter.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't play golf. I enjoy looking at the beauty of the golf courses. This place was designed so the courses and ponds took the water in these rare storms. When the Bride and I were looking for a place to retire this place won out. Why you ask everything we wanted was here. Coming from Long Island we wouldn't be living like we do now. Affordable food, beverages, taxes, anything we want is and was cheaper. Yea we took some rain, yea I lost a few shingles. I'm alive, live in a beautiful community with everything I could ask for. I can't believe the BS the debris aren't picked up yet, I can't play golf, are they going to credit me for the amenities I can't use, why can't the normal yard waste collection be picking up the stuff. You've been living in a great place and now you inconvenienced a little. Get over it. What would it be like where you came from or did you forget life before TV we sure as hell Didn't. On a bad day this place beats where we lived before.

Last edited by skip0358; 09-24-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM

NO............
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I enjoy looking at the beauty of the golf courses.
Driving by Turtle Mound I have to say, as much as I like to golf there it make an absolutely stunning lake....
Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 AM

Just help someone out, no need to make the person feel badly for not knowing.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 AM

The golf courses in The Villages were designed to flood to save the houses. That's why the golf courses are built first. During Irma, they did exactly what they were designed to do. And just because they look ok doesn't mean that they aren't extremely soggy.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 AM

I understand your frustration, but the design was for the courses to act as flood plains. They did their job. TV might not do everything right, but I have found their intention to do the right thing pretty consistent. Thanks the TV for all their efforts.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

What I find absurd is that you are complaining about it. Some of us have real problems to deal with following Irma.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM

"While we are able to open these courses Wednesday, many areas of the community still have very high water levels and the courses will be needed to continue to lower the basin levels."

Can you tell me which areas still have high water levels? Or which ones got it the worst? Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Don't know. I played Spruce Creek yesterday and it was in terrible shape. I know The Villages look ready but I would rather wait until they are optimal than cause more damage.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Boy, there are some really bitter people here in TV responding to this thread. Get with it people. The retention ponds DID what they were designed to do. We had lots, and lots, and lots of rain in a short period of time. Wanting refunds of fees.......absurd! Wanting reimbursement of golf fees paid outside TV......absurd! Complaining about the "slow" cleanup.....absurd! Wake up complainers, we will all be golfing soon, on courses that are better maintained than many outside the bubble. Lets just enjoy living here..PERIOD.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, open, golf, closed, playable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.