Courses Stiil Closed?

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post
Boy, there are some really bitter people here in TV responding to this thread. Get with it people. The retention ponds DID what they were designed to do. We had lots, and lots, and lots of rain in a short period of time. Wanting refunds of fees.......absurd! Wanting reimbursement of golf fees paid outside TV......absurd! Complaining about the "slow" cleanup.....absurd! Wake up complainers, we will all be golfing soon, on courses that are better maintained than many outside the bubble. Lets just enjoy living here..PERIOD.
If the retention ponds did what they were intended to do, the golf courses would have been closed for a couple of days, several golf course tunnels would not have flooded and the golf cart path going from Silver Lake to the Golf Cart Bridge would not have flooded.

I still contend that the retention ponds are not deep enough. And by the way, I've been saying this since I first saw some of them go completely dry in the winter after having to be pumped out in the summer five years ago.

This is not about not being able to play golf. That really doesn't bother me all that much. IMHO, these retention ponds and golf courses are not well designed.

I can't really speak about the ponds other than to say that they don't seem to be working properly, but I've never seen bunkers on golf courses that don't drain like these.

Yes, casual water in bunkers is not unusual. What is unusual is that on well-constructed golf courses bunkers are still full of water or muddy on the bottom weeks after rainfall.

I love it here in The Villages. There is no place that I'd rather live. But that doesn't mean that it's perfect and not subject to
improvement.

Coming from a golf background, one of the things that bothers me is that The Villages seems to do so many things so well. The landscaping in the common area is so well maintained. The pools and rec centers are beautiful. The lighting and signage are wonderful and the homes are well built and attractive. Even the roads and cart paths are resurfaced on a regular basis. Everything is done and maintained in a first-class manner. That is except for the golf courses which are poorly designed and poorly maintained. It seems that the priorities, when it comes to many of these courses are misplaced.

Sorry if this offends anyone, it is just my opinion.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Does anyone else find it absurd that all of the golf courses are still closed almost two weeks after the hurricane?

I've driven by several of the executive courses and many look completely playable to me. Why is it that golf courses all around The Villages are open and playable? Is it because they won't open any if all are not ready?

I'd really love to know what's going on.
I think at one time you told me that you were a pro golfer at one time, but if anybody should know, you know that there's a lot of people out there that don't know how to read. They'll post a sign that says "Wet Area" & people will ignore it & drive right through water & rut the fairway up, then you'll have people saying this golf course is terrible why don't they fix these bad spots. I really think they would really want it to be dry instead of pouring more money into it or closing it down for repairs. I would rather see them keep the courses closed for 2 more weeks that to have the people who don't care just drive their carts wherever they want. I'm really surprised to think that a die hard golfer would want to rush it. You know they're are some courses open? Sorry Dr. Winston!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Default Davefin

I'm in total agreement with Davefin, unless you wanted to be near a coast, there can be no better place to retire to in Florida than TV. TV didn't get to be this big because of poor management, enjoy what you have! PERIOD.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM

You have got to be kidding me. Be thankful you don't have to complain about being without power, having holes in your roof or any of the other "important" issues many are still dealing with as a result of the hurricane. There are a multitude of other things to do in The Villages that should keep you occupied until the golf courses are open and playable.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Location: Born and raised NYC raised the family on Long island, Now living the life

People across Florida and Texas lost their homes. Many still do not have power. In 2012 Our home up north was pretty much destroyed by Sandy. You must have a great life pal, if opening the golf courses is your major worry and concern Jeeeezzz
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, open, golf, closed, playable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.