Fenney Putt n Play - Deplorable Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
It seems the cups have a small mound around them , I guess the ground is not flattened after. Cutting new holes.
Donut effect.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,629 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Fenney Putt n Play is in deplorable condition. The cups have not been moved in a very long time...the edges are broken down and many cups have dead grass around the edge. The "fairway" has not been cut or rolled for a long time...very bumpy, lots of weed growing in it, and dead spots. What was once fun to play is now a crap shoot. From only a few feet away I putt my ball, it heads straight for the cup, and a few inches from the cup it hits a bump or clump of wild grass, and turns left or right. We had fun, yes, but only because we decided to not care about the game and enjoy the day.
Reads like a lot of complaining to me. But, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
It seems the cups have a small mound around them , I guess the ground is not flattened after. Cutting new holes.
I see that very often on many of the courses. I called it "The volcanic effect". Guess the hole-makers pull the tool up and out, which may leave than subtle mound. Perhaps folks here in-the-know how holes are made can confirm.

I truly wish that they would make the holes more like a shower drain. If the ball's speed is good but close...it turns into the hole. THAT would make this damn frustrating sport a bit easier.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Haven't played there in a long time, THe one thing that irked me was that some of the
"fairways" on a dog leg sloped in the opposite direction of the dog leg and you end up running of the course and into the weeds. Even Jack Nicholas wouldn't stand a chance, Good concept but some holes need regrading IMHO.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Please stay on topic of Fenney Putt n Play conditions and avoid attacking each other.

Being relatively new here I have to agree. It seems like half of the comments have no purpose but to disagree with others. If it wasn't for the info you can pick out, it is not a very friendly site.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
You are greatly exaggerating. We just played the course and it was fine. Very smooth, no weeds.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Get new putter.
Always works!
I have one 4sale
Old 02-09-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgavin View Post
Haven't played there in a long time, THe one thing that irked me was that some of the
"fairways" on a dog leg sloped in the opposite direction of the dog leg and you end up running of the course and into the weeds. Even Jack Nicholas wouldn't stand a chance, Good concept but some holes need regrading IMHO.
Nicklaus. You were thinking of Santa.

AND there is no pee in Lake Sumter........
Old 02-09-2021, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

So just to clarify, is the OP talking about Marshview ??? Or ???
Old 02-10-2021, 07:11 AM

The mounded affect you see at the holes is caused by not using the template that is placed on the green as the hole is cored, lifting the surrounding turf up slightly as the hole plug is removed. The steel template is stepped on during the removal process to prevent the mounding.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:01 PM

You are correct with your assessment of Fenney putt and play. It is a disaster. From the landscaping around the holes, to the actual putting greens, the area has been severely neglected. The common thread throught the villages is that if they hire a landscape company with no knowledge of golf course maintanence, the course will suffer. Case in point are the four courses in the Lopez area. Amberwood, Oakleigh, Walnut Grove, and Briarwood. These courses are consistantly in very good condition, being maintained by the same company. They obviously know their business. The company that maintains the Churchill group has no clue, as do several other companies who maintain our other terrible executive courses. Anyone that golfs the exec's know which ones they are. Besides this post, I have talked directly to our newest Executive Course Supervisor. He had more excuses from too much shade to not enough shade, ground beetles and parasites etc... Building new courses of any kind is great, but maintaining them is where The Villages just does not care, or is completely ignorant. I do not think they are ignorant, so I guess that once we sign on the dotted line, we are on our own.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
So just to clarify, is the OP talking about Marshview ??? Or ???
Sounds like the OP was talking about the PITCH N PUTT instead of the PUTT N PLAY.
Not too many fairways on the putting greens.
Closed Thread

Tags
putt, play, grass, fenney, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.