Flat Par-3s?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Actually there are SIX par 5's SIX par 4's and SIX par 3's. And the Turnpike is very noticeable and noisy with lots of tractor trailers going by. Not a great place to live. Fairways and greens are in great shape.

Hence, my IIRC (if I remember correctly) comment...

I commented about the traffic noise affecting my enjoyment of the course, NOT a word about those who live nearby. That is their decision to make...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-20-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I spoke with a non-Villages acquaintance who has been down to visit friends and golf in The Villages several dozen times over the years. She told me that almost all the golf in The Villages are flat courses filled with par three holes.

Since I've only golfed a couple executive courses, do those who have golfed more of TV find her claim to be fairly accurate?

That would certainly explain the reported 2011 statistic of over 1,800 (5 per day!) holes-in-one on TV courses.
Not true
Old 12-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Default Beauty of the village’s

This is the beauty of the village’s. Executive courses are rated 1-4. 4’s are most difficult. Take your choice. Roosevelt, Truman, escambie, Sandhill, turtle mound, and volusia can not be considered flat.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

The Villages course designers have designed the executive courses and Championship courses with enough tee boxes to make any course as much of a challenge as you dare to take. Over the last several years, I have observed many golfers taking on more of a challenge than they can reasonably handle especially on the championship courses and occasionally on the executive courses too. Some seem to have forgotten that golf is suppose to be fun (especially at our age) instead of an ego trip turned into a frustrating activity. We have all seen it. Recently I played with a fellow golfer who played from the black tees and was cursing by the third hole because he had made two triple bogies in a row. It was more than obvious from his skill level that he was playing from the wrong set of tees. It wasn’t fun for him or us who were playing, not only for fun, but from the correct set of tees. There are more than enough hills, sand, water and tee boxes on the The Villages golf courses to be a challenge and for all to have fun. Fore!
Old 12-22-2021, 09:05 AM

There are more executive courses than championship but the courses are definitely not flat.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Short but NOT flat at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Executive greens are so wavy, that it's hard to improve my scores.
They are wavy with lots of rock, pond, landscape and sand trap opportunities. They are a challenge, beautiful and lots of fun !
Old 12-25-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you Luggage, yes - my question was serious. I am the OP. The "jealous non-villager" is a friend of mine. I know where she lives, and I know the golf courses she golfs . She lives in a community very much like the villages only much smaller. And on a huge lake full of boating and skiing and tubing. Tellico Village in Tennessee. The three golf 18-hole golf courses they have are meticulous and gorgeous and challenging, filled with very few par-3's. The terrain undulates and moves uphill, downhill, through and over deep gulches and across water. Not ponds, but a large body of lake water. A former New Yorker, she is not jealous of The Villages because she already lives in a similar place but does not care for the crowds and congestion compared to her current area.

Anyhow, the entire purpose of the post was because she mentioned her opinion of the courses in the Villages and since I have only golfed a very few of them, I thought I would validate / invalidate her opinion by gathering intel from those of you who have golfed far more than just a few of the courses in The Villages.

Thank you all for your input and insights.
The executive courses are rated, 1-4 I believe, 4 being more difficult. As one commenter mentioned, perhaps she’s been on one’s. The harder the exec course, the more likely to have 1-2 oar 4’s.

That said, as many commented, fl is not like her tn topography. But I’d suggest she try Roosevelt or Truman next time here. Then there is volusia, escambia, okeechobee that have some more hilly holes but I don’t believe there difficulty is rated as high as Truman/Roosevelt (going from memory tho, fyi).
Old 01-04-2022, 11:17 AM
Smile This is Central Florida

When one plays golf in Florida they can expect to play on flat courses. Whether you play on Executive Courses or Championship courses the topography is generally flat.
I don't know why your non-Villages acquaintance would come here to play golf if she doesn't care for the par three and/or flat courses. There are golf courses here for every level of play and for over 100,000 golfers this works just fine.

Quote:
I spoke with a non-Villages acquaintance who has been down to visit friends and golf in The Villages several dozen times over the years. She told me that almost all the golf in The Villages are flat courses filled with par three holes.

Since I've only golfed a couple executive courses, do those who have golfed more of TV find her claim to be fairly accurate?

That would certainly explain the reported 2011 statistic of over 1,800 (5 per day!) holes-in-one on TV courses.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:43 AM

Not all the courses are flat. Truman and Roosevelt, Volusia, Escambia, Okeechobee, are some Exec. courses that have hills. Many of the championship courses are relatively flat but some, including Orange Blossom and Mallory have some hills. One explanation for so many hole in ones are the multiple tee boxes with the forward tees on many of the Executive course par 3's being between 50-90 yards.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, flat, golfed, golf, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.