Glenview

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Good article in today's "Daily Sun" by the director of Executive Golf Maintenance about the course conditions. It ends with "Feel free to contact me with any concerns or comments. I would think the same is true with GMS and the championship courses.

Anyone who doesn't want to spend 50 cents can go to St. Tim's recycling dumpster tomorrow and pick up a copy for free and not give another penny to ..........
I emailed the director and he said that he'd like to meet with me to discuss my concerns. I contacted his secretary to set up a meeting and she never got back to me. I've called several times and no response.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'll be looking outside The Villages from now on when I want to play regulation ("championship" is not a proper term for these courses) golf courses.
My neighbor that I play with every week is a 3 handicap who plays almost everyday if you let him. He said the best outside courses nearby are Misson Inn, southeast of here between Leesburg and Clermont and Juliette Falls that's west of Ocala. I just noticed on Juliette Falls website, after 12:00 18 holes with a cart is only $29.99.

Welcome to Mission Inn Resort & Club, Central Florida

Juliette Falls
Old 06-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What a bitchfest. News Flash....Lots of elderly around here. Many residents are slow in most things they do and like it that way. If you're in such a hurry most courses have plenty of tee times with minimal activity, ie afternoons. I often walk-on and play alone after viewing the online system the night before and find plenty of multiple 4-slots in succession wide open. I'll take my lumps for being an insensitive male BUT ya'll sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Play off campus or move but for God's sake stop acting like your a Pro on Tour with an axe to grind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
If you pay attention about when you are up to the tee, its no big deal. Some people need their hand held all the time.
Bitching about course conditions on TOTV gets very little accomplished.
Those who think its better to play away from The Villages....have at it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to play here.
Some bitch about bad conditions and then another says conditions are just fine...……...who to believe.

Take restaurant reviews and course reviews and discard...………..go find out for yourself.
I agree with Tim.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
What a bitchfest. News Flash....Lots of elderly around here. Many residents are slow in most things they do and like it that way. If you're in such a hurry most courses have plenty of tee times with minimal activity, ie afternoons. I often walk-on and play alone after viewing the online system the night before and find plenty of multiple 4-slots in succession wide open. I'll take my lumps for being an insensitive male BUT ya'll sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Play off campus or move but for God's sake stop acting like your a Pro on Tour with an axe to grind.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you pay attention about when you are up to the tee, its no big deal. Some people need their hand held all the time.
Bitching about course conditions on TOTV gets very little accomplished.
Those who think its better to play away from The Villages....have at it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to play here.
Some bitch about bad conditions and then another says conditions are just fine...……...who to believe.

Take restaurant reviews and course reviews and discard...………..go find out for yourself.
I agree with Tim.
I'm sorry. I thought this was a forum on which to discuss The Villages golf course conditions. Are we only supposed to give positive opinions?

Bitchfest? When I see good conditions, I write about it. Unfortunately, that's not very often in TV.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sorry. I thought this was a forum on which to discuss The Villages golf course conditions. Are we only supposed to give positive opinions?

Bitchfest? When I see good conditions, I write about it. Unfortunately, that's not very often in TV.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

I played Glenview three weeks ago and the greens were in the best condition I have ever played in the Villages. Played Palmer the next day and the greens were fine, but nowhere near as nice Glenview's. I don't know what it is about Glenview, but I can never post a good score on that course? Not a rip on Glenview, more on myself. Somehow the layout does not fit my game, maybe it's all the fairway sand traps? For whatever reason, if I want to have a good chance at posting a low score, I find either Bonifay or Hacienda Hills to be the ticket.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Played Glenview yesterday and the greens are the best I have played in the last couple of weeks.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I'm just trying to understand why some people seem to take it so personal, as if it were their own job performance being criticized...when anyone posts less than a glowing review of a course condition.

For those that constantly whine about people criticizing course conditions, try to remember...no one is forcing you to read or agree with them.

If you don't agree, post such...or just move on.

After all, if there were no issues/problems with course conditions and everything was always fine...why would this forum even need to exist?

Old 06-29-2018, 02:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'm just trying to understand why some people seem to take it so personal, as if it were their own job performance being criticized...when anyone posts less than a glowing review of a course condition.

For those that constantly whine about people criticizing course conditions, try to remember...no one is forcing you to read or agree with them.

After all, if there were no issues/problems with course conditions and everything was always fine...why would this forum even need to exist?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I played Glenview a week or so ago and thought the greens were overall...in very good shape.

Quite a bit slower than most middle to upper tier courses elsewhere...but about average for TV courses.

Played Belle Glade recently and was disappointed that they are not making a final cut around the green next to the collar...so lots of 'fur strips' on the edges of the actual green.

The pro shop said they had others complaining also and that maintenance told them that..."they were trying to grow out the collars."

Made absolutely no sense to me, given that they could still instruct the greens mowers to make a last mowing pass around the green...just keep about 6 inches from the existing collar edge and the collar will grow out just fine.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I played Glenview a week or so ago and thought the greens were overall...in very good shape.

Quite a bit slower than most middle to upper tier courses elsewhere...but about average for TV courses.

Played Belle Glade recently and was disappointed that they are not making a final cut around the green next to the collar...so lots of 'fur strips' on the edges of the actual green.

The pro shop said they had others complaining also and that maintenance told them that..."they were trying to grow out the collars."

Made absolutely no sense to me, given that they could still instruct the greens mowers to make a last mowing pass around the green...just keep about 6 inches from the existing collar edge and the collar will grow out just fine.
The reason they do that periodically is just what you were told. When mowing a green the mower crosses the green edge to edge. If they run around the edge as you desire every time they mow, the edge of the green is subjected to the weight of the mower twice as much and eventually the grass suffers. So, they omit that last circuit around the edge on occasion.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

So we would know where the restaurants are that serve slop...…………..no kidding I read that on here.
And also where the short pours are.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The reason they do that periodically is just what you were told. When mowing a green the mower crosses the green edge to edge. If they run around the edge as you desire every time they mow, the edge of the green is subjected to the weight of the mower twice as much and eventually the grass suffers. So, they omit that last circuit around the edge on occasion.
No sense to sense?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Most of the time the issues with the dead grass near the collars, are because the person doing the mowing...is turning too quickly near the green. That's a 'training' issue.

Sometimes this is because of bunkers right next to the green...but often it isn't.

Keep in mind, even when the blades are up and not cutting the mower is still putting "pressure" on the green near the collar. One more pass (as long as the mower is going completely off of the green to make their turns)...isn't that big of a deal.

Here's a good article that explains the various issues (and some potential solutions)...for the problem.

Ring around the collar - Golf Course Industry

Quote:

Muirfield Village Golf Club - By design, the bunkers at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio are very close to the putting surfaces. This is done for both strategy and difficulty. Because of this, there is not a lot of room to maneuver a push mower and make turns, thus causing significant damage to the greens.

Four Stream Golf Club - “The collar region around a green is the area that receives the most traffic on any golf course,” says Harshberger. “Also this is one part of the golf course where, if it’s not close to perfect, it can affect playability.”

“I think other courses have run into collar damage that has been self made but blame it on other factors,”
he says. “And this may only be a problem in areas that experience intense summer heat and stress. If it’s not hot, the sand should not create much of a problem. But when it gets hot the sand is very abrasive on the leaf blades and helps create more unwanted stress on the plants.”

What Four Stream found to work best with preventing collar damage was mowing higher. Ever since they have increased the height of the mowers when going around the collars, they have looked great. They also keep any triplexes away from the greens so they have their collar/approach mower mow six passes around each green. This keeps the larger mowers away from the collars.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-29-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Boom! Spot on post. It's gotten to the point where when you open up TOTV, you're wondering which course is going to be the "whack a mole" for the day for a certain person. Blah, blah, blah Glenview; blah, blah, blah Orange Blossom. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH...……….. Learn how to play better and the courses will look better.

Tags
courses, golf, minutes, villages, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.