Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Default Golf Course conditions

I have been living in the villages for 7 years now. I moved from Colorado in retirement which was a long distance move. One of the reasons for moving here was that the golf courses were pristine and well maintained. I could have easily found another retirement area in Arizona but with a few less amenities but I chose the villages.

After playing mostly the championship courses over the past several months the golf courses in the villages have deteriorated to the point that they are no longer enjoyable to play...as I call them a "goat ranch." After speaking to one the managers at one of the clubs I asked why the courses no longer "overseed" with rye grass in the winter. After several reasons which I disagreed with, I have come to the conclusion that it is all about the money.

I hear, see and read about the wonderful growth of the villages and what a great thing it is for the quality of life here. After seeing the increase in traffic, lack of retail and commercial areas and the condition of the golf courses, I am getting the sense that the villages is becoming just another large city...yes city (pop. at 130K going to over 200K in the next several years).

Unless more attention is paid to the things I have mentioned earlier, I'm afraid the overbuilding and lack of maintenance will be a detriment to people thinking of moving to the villages.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Try Cane Garden......
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM

You hit the nail on the head it’s a real shame that the owners allow this to happen .The Villages are no longer known for there courses.play outside as much as you can.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Now that the new rates for Summer have come out, I just want to know what I’m going to get for the addition money? Pristine greens?, lush fairways? Better tee times? I don’t mind paying extra for something but I would expect a little in return
Old 04-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
I have been living in the villages for 7 years now. I moved from Colorado in retirement which was a long distance move. One of the reasons for moving here was that the golf courses were pristine and well maintained. I could have easily found another retirement area in Arizona but with a few less amenities but I chose the villages.

After playing mostly the championship courses over the past several months the golf courses in the villages have deteriorated to the point that they are no longer enjoyable to play...as I call them a "goat ranch." After speaking to one the managers at one of the clubs I asked why the courses no longer "overseed" with rye grass in the winter. After several reasons which I disagreed with, I have come to the conclusion that it is all about the money.

I hear, see and read about the wonderful growth of the villages and what a great thing it is for the quality of life here. After seeing the increase in traffic, lack of retail and commercial areas and the condition of the golf courses, I am getting the sense that the villages is becoming just another large city...yes city (pop. at 130K going to over 200K in the next several years).

Unless more attention is paid to the things I have mentioned earlier, I'm afraid the overbuilding and lack of maintenance will be a detriment to people thinking of moving to the villages.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
I've lived here full time for 5 years.
For the benefit of readers of this forum who may be considering a move to The Villages, please know that I couldn't disagree more with the statements and opinions expressed in the above post.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Played Cane Garden this morning......Great Shape.

Couple greens, with a couple SMALL spots needing and getting attention.

Continuing to love this place.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post

Having first rented here about 10 years ago and purchasing almost 7 years ago...I couldn't agree with you more.

I can't help but wonder though, if the deterioration of 'some' of the champ courses (I don't play exec's)...is totally by accident/lack of funding?

I'm thinking that Da Family, as exhibited by what's going on down south with big courses not coming close to keeping up with the increasing residency...is actually in 'The Plan.'

As golf loses participation in general, it's my opinion that an emphasis is being put toward what Da Family thinks...will be the biggest draw to future retirees.

I wouldn't even be surprised, that if in the next 10 years or so one or two of the older/less popular championship courses (and maybe exec's)...are closed for good.

Which is certainly not unheard of, given the number of golf courses nationwide...that have closed in the last decade.

Golf Course Closures (poke here)
Quote:

More than 800 golf courses have closed nationwide in the last decade, as operators grapple with declining interest in the sport and a glut of competition.

Many of those shuttered courses were built on land proscribed from redevelopment by local zoning codes seeking to preserve open space — or, as with Ahwatukee, by deed restrictions intended to protect homeowners who had paid a *premium to live near a golf course.

After all, they do take up a whole lot of real estate that could be turned into new housing, or other money-making ventures...that have a much greater value.

Just a thought.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

where are these older/less popular courses.....there must be a lot of tee times available. Help, I will put them in my next request.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,873 Times in 2,683 Posts

[QUOTE=ColdNoMore;1640003][SIZE="2"]Having first rented here about 10 years ago and purchasing almost 7 years ago...I couldn't agree with you more.

I can't help but wonder though, if the deterioration of 'some' of the champ courses (I don't play exec's)...is totally by accident/lack of funding?

I'm thinking that Da Family, as exhibited by what's going on down south with big courses not coming close to keeping up with the increasing residency...is actually in 'The Plan.'

As golf loses participation in general, it's my opinion that an emphasis is being put toward what Da Family thinks...will be the biggest draw to future retirees.

I agree, there seems to be a new emphasis being put on other things besides golf, as well as other subtle changes such as the type of music (both in the squares and played on WVLG) that indicate the developers are changing their focus to draw a new generation of retirees. Unfortunately, we bought in the Villages because we loved the way things were and not because we want to enjoy things that future generations might put a greater emphasis on. That being said, it's still a great place that we enjoy a lot. We just don't want to see what we bought into change.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,025 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Played Cane Garden this morning......Great Shape.

Couple greens, with a couple SMALL spots needing and getting attention.

Continuing to love this place.
And, it's been recently reported that Tiera Del Sol and Hacienda are in very good condition .
Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree, there seems to be a new emphasis being put on other things besides golf, as well as other subtle changes such as the type of music (both in the squares and played on WVLG) that indicate the developers are changing their focus to draw a new generation of retirees. Unfortunately, we bought in the Villages because we loved the way things were and not because we want to enjoy things that future generations might put a greater emphasis on. That being said, it's still a great place that we enjoy a lot. We just don't want to see what we bought into change.

"Change" can be hard to accept...for a lot of people.

But like the old saying goes; "The only constant in life...IS change."

Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,695 Posts

If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,296 Times in 3,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town. My relatives who bought here 40 years ago had very different preferences than I do. I myself don’t play golf but plan to learn to play to enjoy the beautiful courses. What I’d really like is simply to join a group that actually plays and I walk hole to hole with them. Not actually to have to hit anything. Just to enjoy the course.
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM

I agree with those that are saying change will come to some of the golf courses and you will see shifts in land use. It is happening all over the country so why would it not occur here. I would expect The Villages to lag this trend as is occuring, but that time gap in the lag continues to get smaller.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Golf was the reason I moved here. Has been disappointing year over year.

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.