Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,296 Times in 3,023 Posts

I really don't understand the disappointment at all. Most folks move to golf communities for the golf. I get that. But most golf communities don't have around 40 9-hole courses and over a dozen 18-hole courses. Most golf communities don't even have 5 9-holes and 2 championships. And the other golf communities cost a lot more to live there, more in membership fees, more in HOA fees, have fewer amenities, and you generally can't stop at the supermarket on your way home from the 18th hole to grab a quart of milk, with your golf cart.

This is a golf community and there are DOZENS of courses you can choose from. If several are in bad shape, there are still several in good shape. It's likely you'll get out on one of the better-kept courses at least a few times every week, as long as you don't insist on only going to the ones that are in bad shape. That's how I'm perceiving it, so I'm not really understanding why it's a problem.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Just a response to all who answered my initial post.The reason I chose the villages was the sheer amount of EXCELLENT golf courses. If it now comes down to one or two champ. courses out of 13 that are in DECENT condition, I can get that anywhere without the traffic and hour waits in restaurants. Some other retirement communities offer one or two courses and that's fine. That's why I chose NOT to move there. I pay amenity fees and greens fees so that ALL the courses create a variety for me to play. To AW MAN's post that you disagree with everything I said...you either don't play golf on the championship courses or you're not aware of what a real golf course should look and play like. Most logical people I talk with agree that the growth here and the conditions of the courses have eroded the quality of life...and if others can't see that I think it's time to remove your rose colored glasses!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.

As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.

As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Gold member

As far playing the courses that are in decent shape, please realize you are not guaranteed that golf course when you input courses and times. AS FOR CONDITIONS,when people who work at these courses tell you to omit them from the rotation, you know something is wrong.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
...the conditions of the courses have eroded the quality of life...and if others can't see that I think it's time to remove your rose colored glasses!
So if golf course conditions are not that great, then quality of life in TV is poor. And if others don't understand that their quality of life is poor because of the golf course conditions, then they are blind.

Wow.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Yes I've been to the squares several times, and have heard the music. Many of the speakers don't work, so nothing comes out of them at all. Some of them are louder than others, it seems, and it also depends on whether or not you're facing them or facing away from them. I don't really pay attention to the sound coming from those speakers at all. It's just background noise, to me. The gas-powered golf carts driving by are louder and obscure anything that'd come from the speakers anyway.

As for golf, I'm not a golfer. My husband is, but I'm not. It doesn't matter that I'm not though, because the courses should be somewhat attractive, whether I'm playing on them or not. That's part of what my amenity fee is paying for. If it's in *bad* shape, it should be repaired. But if there are 40 executive courses and half of them need to be repaired, there's still 20 more executive courses. At $159/month, for access to 20 executive courses in good shape plus all the other amenities, I'm not seeing why this would be "disappointing" or that people aren't getting their money's worth or being ripped off.

If you were paying the typical HOA fee for a single-course community in Georgia or South Carolina, you'd suffer from sticker shock. It's the hue and cry that I'm not understanding. I DO understand that you absolutely positively deserve to have these courses in good shape.

But it's not like there aren't any courses to play at, or that you can get zero tee-times at any of the good ones, at all during the week. There are, and you can. Not as many as there arguably should be, but I think for $159/month what you are getting shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So if golf course conditions are not that great, then quality of life in TV is poor. And if others don't understand that their quality of life is poor because of the golf course conditions, then they are blind.

Wow.
This response is the shorter version of mine. It speaks exactly to WHY I'm confused.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Angry Bogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

Wow.
Played Bogart today. Pictures say it all! There was no way you could putt on the “greens.” Nuff said! Sorry the pictures are sideways but they look just as bad right side up!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	856E77C1-BBEA-43C6-9227-D7B15B3AAAF4.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	79212   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	05FE0CE2-5244-45CC-8456-6C3C71C40DD3.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	79214   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	6CE41FAF-CE2F-464C-85C0-E01519B1A800.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	79215  

Last edited by YouNeverKnow; 04-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Played Bogart today. See pictures Nuff said! Can’t turn the pictures so they aren’t sideways. 😳
That's pretty pathetic. Is it indicative of all the other courses? What do the best of the Exec look like? How many of the execs are in this horrible shape? How many are in *good* shape? How many are in "tolerable" shape?

Of the ones in bad shape, how many are in the process of being repaired?
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Played Bogart today. Pictures say it all! There was no way you could putt on the “greens.” Nuff said! Sorry the pictures are sideways but they look just as bad right side up!
Even a "blind" person...can see how bad that is.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage

What's all that white stuff making the track marks in the 2nd photo, and peppering that grid area in the 3rd photo? And why is the grid area a grid area? As I've said several times in my several hundred posts on this forum - I don't play golf. But I spent the first 30 years of my life within walking distance of a golf course and used to hang out on it after the golfers left for the day. My grandparents were charter members of a country club that had a beautiful course, and then they lived in a community in Florida that had a gorgeous well-kept course. So I'm not completely ignorant of what they should look like. Just never seen that grid pattern or white powder dumped all over one before.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
What's all that white stuff making the track marks in the 2nd photo, and peppering that grid area in the 3rd photo? And why is the grid area a grid area? As I've said several times in my several hundred posts on this forum - I don't play golf. But I spent the first 30 years of my life within walking distance of a golf course and used to hang out on it after the golfers left for the day. My grandparents were charter members of a country club that had a beautiful course, and then they lived in a community in Florida that had a gorgeous well-kept course. So I'm not completely ignorant of what they should look like. Just never seen that grid pattern or white powder dumped all over one before.
To anyone that knows golf, that green is aerated and sanded, pretty normal stuff. I would advise anyone to get an aeration schedule from any champ course.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 04-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Steve- I have a copy of the aerification schedule and it says Bogart will be aerated June 4-6. So that does not explain it. All I know is that Bogart is unplayable right now. Other exec courses are not as bad (although admittedly I don't golf exec that often) so I guess you just avoid this one. AS FOR CHAMP, right now Evans, Belle Glade and Cane are in the best condition. Havana is terrible- greens OK but fairways deplorable. Bonifay- meh. Have not played the other champs recently.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Steve- I have a copy of the aerification schedule and it says Bogart will be aerated June 4-6. So that does not explain it.
That really doesn't matter about the schedule, the greens are still aerated. They are trying to fix a problem sooner than later. Why people would moan and groan about this on any course, is beyond me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess. In a couple of months, with more rain and with less play that I am noticing already, most, if not all courses will be just fine. Take that as you will, that's the last I'm going to say (well maybe) on this subject. All's I can do is shake my head at some of the ridiculous posts, without naming any in particular.
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.