Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
That really doesn't matter about the schedule, the greens are still aerated. They are trying to fix a problem sooner than later. Why people would moan and groan about this on any course, is beyond me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess. In a couple of months, with more rain and with less play that I am noticing already, most, if not all courses will be just fine. Take that as you will, that's the last I'm going to say (well maybe) on this subject. All's I can do is shake my head at some of the ridiculous posts, without naming any in particular.
Steve
Been playing courses here for six years both executive and championship. Those are not aerated greens. There are huge areas of black bare dirt and large holes on all the greens where there is no grass at all. We talked to one of the maintence guys on Bogart today and he said they have thrown fertilizer, sand, and spray paint on the greens and surrounding areas around the greens. He seems genuinely out of explanations for the conditions. No aeration!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Been playing courses here for six years both executive and championship. Those are not aerated greens. There are huge areas of black bare dirt and large holes on all the greens where there is no grass at all. We talked to one of the maintence guys on Bogart today and he said they have thrown fertilizer, sand, and spray paint on the greens and surrounding areas around the greens. He seems genuinely out of explanations for the conditions. No aeration!
That green is aerated and sanded. I've seen it enough to know
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	6CE41FAF-CE2F-464C-85C0-E01519B1A800.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	79222  
Old 04-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Played Bogart today. Pictures say it all! There was no way you could putt on the “greens.” Nuff said! Sorry the pictures are sideways but they look just as bad right side up!
Doze it and turn it into a...'Putt & Play.'

With lots of vehicle parking.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
What's all that white stuff making the track marks in the 2nd photo, and peppering that grid area in the 3rd photo? And why is the grid area a grid area? As I've said several times in my several hundred posts on this forum - I don't play golf. But I spent the first 30 years of my life within walking distance of a golf course and used to hang out on it after the golfers left for the day. My grandparents were charter members of a country club that had a beautiful course, and then they lived in a community in Florida that had a gorgeous well-kept course. So I'm not completely ignorant of what they should look like. Just never seen that grid pattern or white powder dumped all over one before.
As you said, I am not a golfer. Maybe that explains why you haven't seen it before. Oh wait, you don't live here yet. Soon, when you do, a lot of your questions will be answered.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
That really doesn't matter about the schedule, the greens are still aerated. They are trying to fix a problem sooner than later. Why people would moan and groan about this on any course, is beyond me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess. In a couple of months, with more rain and with less play that I am noticing already, most, if not all courses will be just fine. Take that as you will, that's the last I'm going to say (well maybe) on this subject. All's I can do is shake my head at some of the ridiculous posts, without naming any in particular.
Steve
Ya know... I'm just a casual golfer and not all that competent at judging one course from another, so although I have been on greens that I thought were not in good shape, I have no expertise.

However, enough people are complaining, and a lot of people are saying wait until the snowbirds go home. But the whole idea is to have full occupancy in the winter months, and the weather and activities and golf are advertised as such. Do they ever say Come Down on the Off Season and Find Great Golf Course Conditions?

My opinion is that the courses should be maintained to a higher standard during the high season, because that's what TV is all about, the winter warmth and the outdoor activities.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Ya know... I'm just a casual golfer and not all that competent at judging one course from another, so although I have been on greens that I thought were not in good shape, I have no expertise.

However, enough people are complaining, and a lot of people are saying wait until the snowbirds go home. But the whole idea is to have full occupancy in the winter months, and the weather and activities and golf are advertised as such. Do they ever say Come Down on the Off Season and Find Great Golf Course Conditions?

My opinion is that the courses should be maintained to a higher standard during the high season, because that's what TV is all about, the winter warmth and the outdoor activities.
That is it in a nutshell,,! And those that dont want to hear the concerns about the conditions should stay off the thread so they wont be so bothered by the comments. Waiting for the summer to enjoy good conditions is such a shortsighted solution and answer.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM

The white “stuff” on the greens is sand. The greens on most of the courses I have played recently have been top dressed with a thin layer of sand. The aerification will come through the next six to 8 weeks. The sand is spread and dragged to help create a smooth surface for grass growth.

Apparently several people do not realize that Bermuda grass, which is on all the greens, (and fairways), does NOT grow in the cooler months. As our temperatures warm now, the Bermuda grass comes out of dormancy unevenly. No matter what maintenance does, they can not make Bermuda grass grow in cold/cool temperatures. The warmer the winter months here, the better chance there will be some Bermuda grass growth. Conversely colder temperatures or longer lasting cold spells preclude Bermuda grass growth.

Overseeing with rye grass used to be done on tees and greens, but there are some problems with that especially as the Bermuda comes out of dormancy and the rye grass dies off in the heat of spring. I did some self directed research on the internet of the advantages/disadvantages of overseeding. Interesting reading.

I play mainly championship courses and have found most are fine this time of year considering the grass is dormant. Orange Blossom, Tierra de Sol, Mallory, Cane, Belle Glade, Hacienda Hills all okay. Haven’t played others recently. I seldom play execs in the winter, but recently played Escambia. I thought the greens were fine except for being slow due to the top dressing of sand.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The white “stuff” on the greens is sand. The greens on most of the courses I have played recently have been top dressed with a thin layer of sand. The aerification will come through the next six to 8 weeks. The sand is spread and dragged to help create a smooth surface for grass growth.

Apparently several people do not realize that Bermuda grass, which is on all the greens, (and fairways), does NOT grow in the cooler months. As our temperatures warm now, the Bermuda grass comes out of dormancy unevenly. No matter what maintenance does, they can not make Bermuda grass grow in cold/cool temperatures. The warmer the winter months here, the better chance there will be some Bermuda grass growth. Conversely colder temperatures or longer lasting cold spells preclude Bermuda grass growth.

Overseeing with rye grass used to be done on tees and greens, but there are some problems with that especially as the Bermuda comes out of dormancy and the rye grass dies off in the heat of spring. I did some self directed research on the internet of the advantages/disadvantages of overseeding. Interesting reading.

I play mainly championship courses and have found most are fine this time of year considering the grass is dormant. Orange Blossom, Tierra de Sol, Mallory, Cane, Belle Glade, Hacienda Hills all okay. Haven’t played others recently. I seldom play execs in the winter, but recently played Escambia. I thought the greens were fine except for being slow due to the top dressing of sand.
Thank you Bill!
Steve
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I am a golfer and I agree the greens (especially on the executive courses I've played) are in poor condition. I hope that over the summer they will be able to fix the issues. But I still love living here. I love all the golfing options, but it's not the only reason I live here. I've made great friends and I love all the activities. It's a well maintained, beautiful place to live. The "HOA" fee pays for so much more than golf course maintenance. And that fee is unbelievably reasonable.
What frustrates me is that so many people expect "The Developer" to fix things. "Fix the Villages Regional Hospital, fix the golf courses, stop selling homes because it's getting too big/too much traffic and I don't like that."
If there comes a time The Villages doesn't have what I'm looking for... I will move to a community that better fits my needs. But I'm not going to blame The Developer... I believe they are trying to do the right thing for the people that live here. And I certainly don't begrudge them for making a profit on what they are doing.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

played Pimlico today. Can't remember ever seeing any golf track in a condition as poor as this. Tees ,Fairways and Greens all substandard
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
Just a response to all who answered my initial post.The reason I chose the villages was the sheer amount of EXCELLENT golf courses. If it now comes down to one or two champ. courses out of 13 that are in DECENT condition, I can get that anywhere without the traffic and hour waits in restaurants. Some other retirement communities offer one or two courses and that's fine. That's why I chose NOT to move there. I pay amenity fees and greens fees so that ALL the courses create a variety for me to play. To AW MAN's post that you disagree with everything I said...you either don't play golf on the championship courses or you're not aware of what a real golf course should look and play like. Most logical people I talk with agree that the growth here and the conditions of the courses have eroded the quality of life...and if others can't see that I think it's time to remove your rose colored glasses!
For those whose life is only about golf....you might be right. If you moved here because of golf and had an expectation that can't be met....now what do you do? I lived in PA where we had some great conditions....they were a different grass, they were only played on regularly 8 months a year and didn't approach the number of rounds that get played here. I assume you have an intimate knowledge on what it takes to maintain a golf course and have extensive experience in this area, otherwise your comments and judgement is personal opinion only. Those that are enjoying the golf here have their opinions also but your insinuation that they are wearing rose colored glasses because they disagree with you is both rude and insulting. JMO

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
For those whose life is only about golf....you might be right. If you moved here because of golf and had an expectation that can't be met....now what do you do? I lived in PA where we had some great conditions....they were a different grass, they were only played on regularly 8 months a year and didn't approach the number of rounds that get played here. I assume you have an intimate knowledge on what it takes to maintain a golf course and have extensive experience in this area, otherwise your comments and judgement is personal opinion only. Those that are enjoying the golf here have their opinions also but your insinuation that they are wearing rose colored glasses because they disagree with you is both rude and insulting. JMO
Thank you!
Steve
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM

I played Mallory today. Greens were in wonderful condition.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

NAILED IT!

Although by now I shouldn't be shocked, the number of people who make excuses for those maintaining the courses, while they have declined in the last decade to the point where the majority compare poorly to even the 'average' muni...is still disappointing.

I guess as long as folks are willing to accept these poor conditions (nay, even support them), the incentive to put the effort/money into making them better...is greatly reduced.
I agree completely. It seems that many , in their previous lives, were poor, controlling managers that couldn't stand the thought of an employee complaining about the way things were being run. Its a shame that some would try to protect the way courses are being presented, when clearly they are in poor shape, and absolutely cant stand the thought that many customers would dare complain on their perceived watch. Why would you protect something that clearly is a problem?
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.