Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood1 View Post
I only will say that we pay a premium price to play the championship courses and the conditions do not match the price in most cases , and we provide our own carts
Good point. The cost of the cart plus maintenance is a huge factor to consider, especially when we are playing on some courses that are not in good shape. There are always a few courses that are decent, but with the large numbers of people playing golf, it is not always possible to get tee times at the good courses, especially in the high season, or if you are playing in a large group. Many of us who moved here for the golf, are either playing outside the Villages, or just not playing, because of the course conditions. If you are thinking of moving here, and golf is your primary reason, I would think twice.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 AM

Been here over 7 years and agree that Championship courses have fallen into a state of total disappointment.
Take note that so far, and 2 years out, there is one Championship course south of 44.
Disappointing for us that bought here, but politics, taxes and greed will take the Villages down a dark road.
Beware, this developer is as greedy as they get!!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 AM

HI, I've lived in the Villages for 11 years. I totally agree that the courses need a lot more maintenance. The management company earns big dollars from the Championship courses and yet they put the care of the courses up for bid to the lowest priced company. What's wrong with giving the maintenance company a list of demands to keep up the quality of the courses or pay a penalty for there poor performance. May times in my lifetime I made the mistake of going with the cheapest price and not paid enough attention to the quality and longevity of the work done. I paid for it later. I think more golfers should let the Country Club Administrators no how unhappy they are about conditions. Speak up every time you play and let them know how you feel. If enough of us complain it will influence there decision making. Remember a lot of new sales are based on the current course conditions. If prospective buyers see that residents are unhappy it will hurt their sales. They won't like that!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Default Golf Course Conditions

I've been a Village Resident for 11 years and have only played the Exec. courses. I must agree with those who have expressed the opinion that the condition of many courses has declined. Have you played Silver Lake recently? Don't!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:09 AM

We play outside every week, with a wide selection of courses with better conditions and less expensive. Even when we pay some of the courses with the same cost of
"The Villages", the conditions don't even come close. It is like playing some of the courses back north, with nice fairways, wonderful holes, great greens and challenging holes. They are always welcoming us with great fees and extra's like range balls, discounts on after golf in their restaurants.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 AM

Have to agree that the Championship courses are not in good shape. The fairways are like hitting off of rocks on many fairways on both the Championship and Executive courses. If they put the extra money that they are charging now into the courses, hopefully that would help.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 AM

I absolutely agree. Ive played courses outside the Villages and they are not only cheaper but in much better shape so no excuses for our courses, its just neglect. Another complaint I'm hearing a lot and agree with is the amount of traffic coming in from Fenney with no signs of relief just a continuation of homes being built. What happens when the condos are built? The bubble is becoming a big ballon ready to explode. All about money, that's pretty obvious and not what Mr. Moorse intended.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 AM

I do play the Executive courses and many are in horrible shape. I also live on an Executive course and it is very disheartening to view a golf course that has turned from lush green to bare dirt.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen

I agree that the championship courses are in pretty poor shape. Very little grass on many tee boxes. Also, they need to enforce golf carts not going past the stakes. Many people almost drive on the greens. This causes undue wear and tear. Repair your ball marks on the greens. If you are good enough to hit the green then fix your mark and one other. Take care of the golf courses. The grounds keepers can’t do it all!!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Couldn't agree with you more!!! Been living here for 6 years now. Moved here to golf. All the championship courses south of 466 have gotten worse, condition-wise, each year I've been here. I don't know who calls the shots on course maintenance, and am sure it is all about money, but they need to realize that people will stop playing those courses if they don't improve. I would be more than willing to pay a higher rate to play a course WITH GRASS! Even the worst public courses in Michigan are in better condition than these courses! And the executive courses are even worse, but that is another subject!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 AM

you either: 1) work at one of the courses; 2) don't golf here: or 3) are related to the developer. The courses are in horrific shape!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Played Cane Garden this morning......Great Shape.

Couple greens, with a couple SMALL spots needing and getting attention.

Continuing to love this place.
if there are spots on the greens then they are NOT in "great shape"! how much grass is in the fairways?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
And, it's been recently reported that Tiera Del Sol and Hacienda are in very good condition .
even if true, why aren't Palmer, Bonifay, Evans Prairie, Belle Glade, Havana in "very good condition"? it's called water and fertilizer! that is all these places need!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best2bgolfing View Post
I think the fairway grass is cut to often and to short. I can rarely use my wedge around the green. Most of the time I putt from 5 or more yards off the green.

Please give the fairway at least 1 1/2 inches at cut height.
I agree, let the fairways grow a little. I find myself hoping my drives roll into the rough so that there is actually some grass under my ball for the next shot. Golfers are supposed to be rewarded for hitting fairways and penalized for going in the rough. Not vice-versa.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I really don't understand the disappointment at all. Most folks move to golf communities for the golf. I get that. But most golf communities don't have around 40 9-hole courses and over a dozen 18-hole courses. Most golf communities don't even have 5 9-holes and 2 championships. And the other golf communities cost a lot more to live there, more in membership fees, more in HOA fees, have fewer amenities, and you generally can't stop at the supermarket on your way home from the 18th hole to grab a quart of milk, with your golf cart.

This is a golf community and there are DOZENS of courses you can choose from. If several are in bad shape, there are still several in good shape. It's likely you'll get out on one of the better-kept courses at least a few times every week, as long as you don't insist on only going to the ones that are in bad shape. That's how I'm perceiving it, so I'm not really understanding why it's a problem.
Well if you don't golf here you WON'T get it! A lot of us moved here for the golf. And at that time there were less than 85,000 residents. Now there are over 125,000 and no more extra courses. And the courses are in very bad condition, so why wouldn't all of us who moved here for the golf be very bitter!
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.