Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Sage

with PB.

Last edited by Barefoot; 05-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We are seasonal residents and have been gone for a month.
I thought the golf courses were tolerable because they get beat up by a zillion golfers a day.
I'm curious, now the snowbirds are gone, have the golf courses improved? (Perhaps they need longer to recover.)

Just my Opin............and the seven other guys I golf with...........the have improved and are very playable and enjoyable. The cour6ses I've played in the last three weeks: Evans, Belle, Palmer, Havana, Cane..........and they are all in good shape.

I just had visitors here and we played 36 holes back to back. They enjoyed the courses and conditions. We were all members of a CC up North, so we like good conditions.

I assume more will chime in.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Again I was in Pinehurst NC this week, The 9 courses in Pinehurst get as much play as the Championship courses do in TV - at this time of year. Tee times are booked solid sunrise to sunset. The fairways are like a carpet. On the best of times I have never experienced the same type conditions in TV. Stop the BS about the amount of play. Now on the other hand different types of grass may explain the difference.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Just my Opin............and the seven other guys I golf with...........the have improved and are very playable and enjoyable. The courses I've played in the last three weeks: Evans, Belle, Palmer, Havana, Cane..........and they are all in good shape.
I just had visitors here and we played 36 holes back to back. They enjoyed the courses and conditions. We were all members of a CC up North, so we like good conditions.
Good to hear, thanks for the opinion.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Again I was in Pinehurst NC this week, The 9 courses in Pinehurst get as much play as the Championship courses do in TV - at this time of year. Tee times are booked solid sunrise to sunset. The fairways are like a carpet. On the best of times I have never experienced the same type conditions in TV. Stop the BS about the amount of play. Now on the other hand different types of grass may explain the difference.
Are you seriously comparing a course that provides caddies instead of carts, has absolutely no budget to follow, and hosts the US Open to courses in The Villages?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena0904 View Post
Are you seriously comparing a course that provides caddies instead of carts, has absolutely no budget to follow, and hosts the US Open to courses in The Villages?
1. Course number two requires caddies - carts allowed on all courses.
2. Given the price of golf and amount of play on the championship courses here in TV the budget is hardly that of a pasture.
3.TV not hosting the US Open - that part is probably correct.

I have yet to here a reasonable explanation for having to shoot off essentially dirt on the fairways. Another poster had it right - move the ball to the rough to simulate fairway grass.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Tiera Del Sol was changed over to the new grass for the greens and it has been in great shape. The worst I have played recently in Havana. (Terrible) Numerous bare spots in the fairways and very little if any turf. The courses are recovering from the pounding of thousands upon thousands of golf carts this winter. They will get better (if we actually get our rainy season). If I were in charge I would have the ambassadors fully implementing and enforcing the 90 degree rule. Then you still have all the carts with RA's driving right up to and sometimes on the greens when they are suppose to stay back 15 ft.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Hmmmm, and what was the cost of playing Pinehurst? And right now the courses in TV are doing over 300 rounds a day! On May 1st Havana did over 500 rounds! are you saying that Pinehurst is doing 2700 rounds a day at the prices they charge, WOW I am impressed?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Hmmmm, and what was the cost of playing Pinehurst? And right now the courses in TV are doing over 300 rounds a day! On May 1st Havana did over 500 rounds! are you saying that Pinehurst is doing 2700 rounds a day at the prices they charge, WOW I am impressed?
Exactly, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Pinehurst and The Villages?!? Come on lol. I would bet money the courses that are allowed carts at Pinehurst, probably 10% or less drive on the fairway. I also bet if the carts drove where they weren’t supposed at PINEHURST they would be thrown off the course immediately!!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena0904 View Post
Exactly, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Pinehurst and The Villages?!? Come on lol. I would bet money the courses that are allowed carts at Pinehurst, probably 10% or less drive on the fairway. I also bet if the carts drove where they weren’t supposed at PINEHURST they would be thrown off the course immediately!!
What a revelation - TV needs to have a no cart policy and we can have better than PINEHURST conditions for a fraction of the price of a world class course ( I often wonder why TV calls them Championship Courses). Who can argue with this logic! Problem solved LOL!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

I used to obey all the rules of golf never drove up close to the Greene raked the traps I fixed divots etc. Now I do as the rest of the people When in Rome do as the Romans do. The Villages has changed tremendously so I am with the changes. The king and his court doesn't seem to care about the condition of the courses so neither do I I play what's there and enjoy it. Much easier not having to rake the sand, fix my divots. When The Villages decided not to design any decent courses like the old ones which had trees Lakes sand traps etc. When they decided to take a cow pasture dig a few holes put in some sand plant some fountain grass and put 18 sticks in the ground and call it a golf course that's when I stop caring. I got so tired of hearing all the excuses like too much rain not enough for me too much traffic on the courses too hot to cold Just poor maintenance . Money money money
Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I used to obey all the rules of golf never drove up close to the Greene raked the traps I fixed divots etc. Now I do as the rest of the people When in Rome do as the Romans do. The Villages has changed tremendously so I am with the changes. The king and his court doesn't seem to care about the condition of the courses so neither do I I play what's there and enjoy it. Much easier not having to rake the sand, fix my divots. When The Villages decided not to design any decent courses like the old ones which had trees Lakes sand traps etc. When they decided to take a cow pasture dig a few holes put in some sand plant some fountain grass and put 18 sticks in the ground and call it a golf course that's when I stop caring. I got so tired of hearing all the excuses like too much rain not enough for me too much traffic on the courses too hot to cold Just poor maintenance . Money money money
I am hoping that this is a bit of sarcasm. All golfers know that raking sand, filling divots, etc is for the benefit of the other players who follow. Not to help the owner of the course.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I am hoping that this is a bit of sarcasm. All golfers know that raking sand, filling divots, etc is for the benefit of the other players who follow. Not to help the owner of the course.
If it's not sarcasm, what the heck is he doing here....that is if he really is "here"
Steve
Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 AM

I'm not a golfer (so I'm not thrilled about paying fees to support golf) but I have read from the PWAC that the first reason for the golf courses is for water runoff management. The 2nd reason for the golf courses is as a resident amenity. Obviously, #1 is a higher priority for The Villages system, but, probably most folks view the amenity function as being #1. Obviously, those folks would be wrong.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fswain View Post
I'm not a golfer (so I'm not thrilled about paying fees to support golf) but I have read from the PWAC that the first reason for the golf courses is for water runoff management. The 2nd reason for the golf courses is as a resident amenity. Obviously, #1 is a higher priority for The Villages system, but, probably most folks view the amenity function as being #1. Obviously, those folks would be wrong.
By fees, I assume you mean amenity fee. How much of your fee actually goes to support golf?

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.