Golf Course Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2023, 07:41 AM

We actually have a real winter here. The grass does go virtually dormant and without the top dressing by the time the high volume of play gets done in march every green and fairway especially on the execs would be dirt. And don’t forget. The odds of someone stepping on the same part of the course as everyone else is much is much higher on execs than champs which explains why the wear and tear on them is higher.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Aerating is not scheduled at any course until June

https://www.golfthevillages.com/turf...20Schedule.pdf
No question Havana or portions of it were doing in the past couple of days… can see it from the road….

Respectfully, DB
Old 01-19-2023, 08:09 AM
Default Don't GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I feel your pain. Posts like this have been made for years on TOTV. The bottom line is, the condition of the courses varies by a lot, depending on time of year and usage, and it certainly is no bargain. Many of us come from smaller cities, etc., where we played golf on nice courses for substantially less $$. They have a captive audience here and will charge what they can get away with. There are always groups that go to other courses outside the bubble. If you play mens or ladies day you will hear about the opportunities, and I encourage you to join up. There are many beautiful courses within easy driving distance of TV that are cheaper and much nicer than what we have here.
No, the courses outside of The Villages are horrid. Don't Go. I have a hard enough time getting a tee time the way it is.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:11 AM
Default Pay

“enhanced” member has nothing to do with course conditions how could that make the course better for just you? It discounts to be cheaper if you play twice a week
Old 01-19-2023, 09:11 AM

I played Glenview last week, shhhh but don’t tell any one else but the conditions were as good as anywhere in TV from where I’ve played in the past 2 months.

I played Heron executive yesterday and the 9 greens were all different and IMHO, it was due to the brutal cold we got in December and then more cold just recently. The greens thru the trees were bare in many spots others in the sun were bare in just a very small areas hence the speed varied every hole depending on what you were putting over.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Played Belle Glade today. I would say about 20 to 30% of the greens had patches of top dressing. Not sure what, but it seems the weather got to some portions of some greens.

So you could have been putting over sand. But it was not the entire green was topped.

Fortunately, i have the skills to land my chips so I didn't have to put over sand (JOKING).

The rest of the greens were awesome, and fast.

BTW, if you have the chance to play BG in the early morning, you are in for a treat, the way the sun rises is something. I started on Seminole and the sun coming up was beautiful.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
I’m not sure why, maybe due to the cold weather????
I pay to be an “enhanced” member…..then during peak season I pay $53 a round…..to constantly putt ON SAND !!
The conditions are mediocre at best. I expect better for what we pay.
I want to add to my earlier post about paying Heron and having various greens in various conditions. I played Red Fox yesterday and for non of the greens were in any type of poor condition… all greens and tees were excellent.

Now the question, why are some greens terrible, some have some issues and some are in near perfect conditions… Don’t all the greens keepers talk to each other???
Old 01-20-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
I want to add to my earlier post about paying Heron and having various greens in various conditions. I played Red Fox yesterday and for non of the greens were in any type of poor condition… all greens and tees were excellent.

Now the question, why are some greens terrible, some have some issues and some are in near perfect conditions… Don’t all the greens keepers talk to each other???
Believe it or not, there may be significant soil composition, rainfall, grass type and watering restrictions between Heron and Red Fox, all of which can contribute to differing conditions.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Believe it or not, there may be significant soil composition, rainfall, grass type and watering restrictions between Heron and Red Fox, all of which can contribute to differing conditions.
Absolutely correct and if I could add, number of rounds, amount of shade and age of the turf are big factors as well.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Don't know what to tell you. But I can guess what you'll read on subsequent posts.

I'll put them in order.

1. Don't like it? Move, or play somewhere outside of The Bubble.
2.The courses get too much traffic to be maintained better than they are.
3.While the enhanced membership ($971) for 12 months, and off-season green fees of around $40, and high-season greens fees of around $50 may seem like a good chunk of money, if you play 2 times a week, with the enhanced membership, that's around 6K/year. Not chump change, but if you are looking for high end private course conditions, that won't even get you in the door. Golf on the Championship Courses may not be "free", but it's definitely golf on a budget compared to a high-end private club.

4. I'm not here all year long, but I'm told conditions improve during the low usage, warmer, wetter months.

5. High traffic means a lot of maintenance, which around here, unfortunately, means a lot of sand.

Or to quote Tony Soprano, "Whatcha gonna do?"
Hardly the point
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, conditions, round…, constantly, putt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.