Golfing off campus

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2021, 06:35 AM
Default Golfing off campus

Many of us golf off campus in the winter. It would be great if we could start a thread that we could share our experiences golfing outside The Villages. Here is what our group just experienced...On 11/01/21 our group played Green Valley CC in Clermont. We didn't care much for the front nine (not in great shape and very tricky greens) but the back nine was in good shape and a very nice layout. The afternoon price was only $30. I would go back just to play the back nine again. I would also go back because of the little bar / restaurant there. Best cheeseburger I ever had. Great waitress and service.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Great idea. I golf weekly winter off campus with a friend from Ocala. Too expensive to bring him here as a guest since he lives in Marion County.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

If possible, post a link to the course’s web site in your write up…..
Old 11-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmers View Post
Many of us golf off campus in the winter. It would be great if we could start a thread that we could share our experiences golfing outside The Villages. Here is what our group just experienced...On 11/01/21 our group played Green Valley CC in Clermont. We didn't care much for the front nine (not in great shape and very tricky greens) but the back nine was in good shape and a very nice layout. The afternoon price was only $30. I would go back just to play the back nine again. I would also go back because of the little bar / restaurant there. Best cheeseburger I ever had. Great waitress and service.
Congratulations for breaking out of jail.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:44 AM
Default Big Bear Golf in Mount Dora

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmers View Post
My group went to Big Bear two weeks ago. Greens were very slow. The fairways were in good shape. Lots of moguls in the fairway. Many greens are uphill from the fairway. The greens are quite small, in particular several par 5's. But fun to play, the moguls make it different. Black Bear Golf Club | Mount Dora Golf | Mount Dora Golf Courses
Old 11-08-2021, 06:02 AM
Default Off Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
My group went to Big Bear two weeks ago. Greens were very slow. The fairways were in good shape. Lots of moguls in the fairway. Many greens are uphill from the fairway. The greens are quite small, in particular several par 5's. But fun to play, the moguls make it different. Black Bear Golf Club | Mount Dora Golf | Mount Dora Golf Courses
Black Bear is a Pete Dye course, I've played it for years, you might also try Red Tail in Sorrento, Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont, there are many others worth looking into. Eagle Dune is on st rt. 44 Eustis, bring your sand bucket and shovel it is a challenge. All of these courses are approx. 1 hr drive. You could go just a bit further to Deland and play Victoria Hills well worth the drive.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Has anyone played Deer Island in Tavares lately? If so, what condition was the course in?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

There is or was a big group that played outside TV. It was or is called: (Troops or Troupes) Groups. They organized everything and usually included golf plus lunch. Do they still exist?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
Has anyone played Deer Island in Tavares lately? If so, what condition was the course in?
Bring lots of balls because you will probably end up in the water several times. They changed the name, I think.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Default Sanctuary Ridge is a big question mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dronsfield View Post
Black Bear is a Pete Dye course, I've played it for years, you might also try Red Tail in Sorrento, Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont, there are many others worth looking into. Eagle Dune is on st rt. 44 Eustis, bring your sand bucket and shovel it is a challenge. All of these courses are approx. 1 hr drive. You could go just a bit further to Deland and play Victoria Hills well worth the drive.
We played Sanctuary Ridge last year and it was terrible. Hardpan on all fairways, weeds in bunkers.....complete lack of maintainance. Has anyone played it recently?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
We played Sanctuary Ridge last year and it was terrible. Hardpan on all fairways, weeds in bunkers.....complete lack of maintainance. Has anyone played it recently?

I just read that Sanctuary Ridge has been sold and temporarily closed for major renovations.
It think it will be renamed Clermont National.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:43 AM

Harbor Hills, Ocala National, Juliet Falls, Mystic Dunes, Mission Inn - all good courses in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:13 AM

Just attended a golf outing at Arlington in Leesburg. The course was in terrible condition, ordered a sandwich from the cart person and received it 2-1/2 hours later, had dinner after the outing and they would not provide water. Had to purchase it in bottles for a high price. Bought several bottles for the table and when I turned my back the waitress removed the full unopened bottles. Would not recommend this course.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Any reviews of Stone Creek or Spruce Creek?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:01 AM

Deer Island did change their name but changed it back i think. Love the course, lots of water. Last played several months ago and it was in good shape then.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, great, group, shape, golfing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.