Lopez golf course

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Default Lopez golf course

Greens are in terrible shape- more sand than grass.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftgolf View Post
Got some pictures to go with the observation?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
So you're saying all 27 holes are crap?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 PM

You've got that right. They've been bad since August. They over seeded Ashley two weeks ago trying to repair the damage. But the other two need help badly.

If Nancy saw the condition of this course she might shut it down, or take her name off of it. I don't take my phone on the course, so I don't have any pictures.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Sage

Played Tori tonight not sure when was the last time the greens were mowed!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What I don't understand is that The Villages does everything so well, except for golf. The landscaping in the common areas is impeccable. The streets are clean. The Town Squares are beautiful. The golf cart paths are well maintained and well designed.

The golf courses tend to run from deplorable to mediocre.

I mostly play executive courses and most are in pretty bad shape. A few have very good greens while the fairways and areas around the greens are terrible. On most, the areas from tee to green are OK and the greens are awful.

I've played several of the regulation courses, (they shouldn't be called championship courses) and they are just not in the kind of condition that justifies their green fee. Again, some are pretty bad and the best of them are fair.

I've played some regulation courses outside The Villages that are in much better condition and the green fees are less money. And I'm tired of hearing that they get so much play. Number one, if they're getting that much play, then they are getting a lot of revenue. Number two, ALL golf courses in Florida get a lot of play in the winter. I've worked at several courses in Florida and the starting times have always been filled from dawn to dusk seven days a week from December through April. None of the courses were in the kind of condition that The Villages courses are.

The layouts of the regulation course, for the most part, are pretty good. The execs have some holes that are beyond explanation.

I understand that other than Lopez and Palmer, all of the golf courses have been designed by one person.

The operations are also unlike anything I've ever encountered. I've arrived at my starting time 20 minutes early only to be told that they are running way ahead and that they sent my group without me. The ambassadors are nothing more than water and sand stations. They do nothing to maintain the pace of play. I walked off a course a few days ago because we got to the third hole and there were three groups on the tee. The ambassador came by and said that it was going to be slow because there were people on every hole. I'm sorry, but someone is causing the play to be that slow and it is affecting everyone else on the golf course. I certainly understand that a busy course can get a bit backed up, but three groups waiting on a tee while we were about to become the fourth is unacceptable.

I wonder if the people in charge of the golf courses have any experience outside of The Villages in designing, maintaining and operating golf courses.

I would love to see them sell the courses to a golf course management firm. or at least get some professionals in here with experience from outside to change some of the policies and procedures.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Sometimes I think the ambassadors aren't paying attention and or there is no communication between the starter shack and ambassadors. Sometimes we have been sent out two minutes immediately after the starter sent the previous foursome saying we're clear and then 4 are standing directly behind us before we've teed off. Other times we've offered to let a 2 some go before us 4 and that only threw the golf management into kaos.

Last edited by DonH57; 03-31-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:09 AM

Golf is fun and relaxing, taking the stress, and worry out of everyday living...For the peace and harmony of the body, mind and spirit, for a totally relaxing and healthy lifestyle of playing the game of golf. ..So get on out there, on the beautiful Villages greens, and breath in all the wonderful fresh open air with friends and family for a wonderful time, to be had by all.....

Last edited by Villagevip; 04-01-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Given the standard of enforcement, and the ignorance of many golfers to the etiquite and rules of golf, I would hazard the conditions are what are deserved.
Until there is more concern amongst players to look to their responsibilities, nothing will improve.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Sage
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Given the standard of enforcement, and the ignorance of many golfers to the etiquite and rules of golf, I would hazard the conditions are what are deserved.
Until there is more concern amongst players to look to their responsibilities, nothing will improve.
Of all the possible damages to course greens the one that irks me the most are the dig marks on the green. Are people using their pitching wedge on the greens or angered putter gouges.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Agree.
Along with the non repair of pitchmarks and divots, and failure to rake bunkers, my other pet hate is players in denim.
They look like they have come of the night shift at John Deere's!
I am no golf snob, but the line on denim should have been drawn years ago, inspite the Morse man saying it was OK.
When standards are set to the lowest denominator, that is the player you will get.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Of all the possible damages to course greens the one that irks me the most are the dig marks on the green. Are people using their pitching wedge on the greens or angered putter gouges.
Probably double digit handicappers trying to break double-bogey and angry they can't make a two-footer to win $.25 so they slam their putter into the green.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Sage
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Probably double digit handicappers trying to break double-bogey and angry they can't make a two-footer to win $.25 so they slam their putter into the green.
No doubt. Unfortunately some have no respect for property, other players, or the game.
Closed Thread

Tags
shape-, sand, grass, terrible, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.