new holeless pin

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLAMPHERE View Post
So yesterday at SaddleBrook, my tee shot rolled up, tapped the raised cup, and rested about 2' away. Hole In One? Will any HIO be recorded with the raised cups? My 3 playing partners said the ball would have stayed in the cup. Thoughts???

Good question.

My personal feeling is that any round played with the current cup configuration...should NOT be posted in GHIN.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Quote:
So yesterday at SaddleBrook, my tee shot rolled up, tapped the raised cup, and rested about 2' away. Hole In One? Will any HIO be recorded with the raised cups? My 3 playing partners said the ball would have stayed in the cup. Thoughts???

Not sure many care.

I think it's funny when people report hole-in-ones, "Look at me!" My dad was excited when I got my first one, 50 years ago......but come on people, it was a fluke, an accident, not skill.

Hole in one on the putt-putt courses...............don't even get me started.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
I say it's a hole in one with an asterisk ⛳*
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Great Idea.
Really does not change the game.
No body in TV is getting a check based on their score.
Play Ball!!
I am fine with the changes short term, but it does change the game - significantly. It makes a good putter a great putter. Putts that would never have gone in are now "in" because they glanced off the side of the insert.

My scores are averaging about 3 strokes less on Executive, and 4 less on Champion.

One of the folks I played with yesterday banged it off the PVC on an approach shot. He got an eagle... but that ball is never going in on a normal course.

We refer to it as "croquet golf". Oh, and I got my first "hole in one" playing croquet golf yesterday. It might have gone in on a normal day - one hop and tapped the PVC, came to rest about 18" away. But no way am I going to try to claim that.

I see a lot of folks putting harder and trying to hit the PVC instead of putting to hole out. When things return to normal, I predict a lot of bad putting due to bad habits picked up with these inserts.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
I am fine with the changes short term, but it does change the game - significantly. It makes a good putter a great putter. Putts that would never have gone in are now "in" because they glanced off the side of the insert.

My scores are averaging about 3 strokes less on Executive, and 4 less on Champion.

I agree................great in the short-term.

But you know: Golf is a game of Integrity. You know if you made the putt or not. It's up to you how you score a glance.

Prior to PVC, How many gimmes do you take?.....Hmmm.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:53 AM

Stay homestay home
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post

One of the folks I played with yesterday banged it off the PVC on an approach shot. He got an eagle... but that ball is never going in on a normal course.

We refer to it as "croquet golf". Oh, and I got my first "hole in one" playing croquet golf yesterday. It might have gone in on a normal day - one hop and tapped the PVC, came to rest about 18" away. But no way am I going to try to claim that.

I see a lot of folks putting harder and trying to hit the PVC instead of putting to hole out. When things return to normal, I predict a lot of bad putting due to bad habits picked up with these inserts.
Your eyes definately tell your brain the hole you're aiming at is now a pipe sticking out of the ground and you're not used to hitting an obstacle. It is really different. We played twice with these temporary measures. I decided between stuff I need to do around the house and these changes I'll return to play later. I'll still go to the range.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

I think it could improve my putting. I too frequently leave it short but now I'm not. If I keep putting like this when the PVC is gone, I think I will sink more putts.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
No holes in one for awhile.
Well, I played EP Saturday and had one on Egret #4; hit 2’ in front of the pin and bounced it in between the pin and pipe.

And no, it wasn’t my first (my 10th).
Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 AM

Me too. My last two championship rounds are 10 strokes less then normal. Show I need to work on my putting!!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 AM

We thought it would be easier also, just slam the ball at the pvc through the break and an easy birdie......did not work! Instead of getting it close for your next put, we rolled the ball 10-20 feet past the hole and ended up 3 putting for bogie. Looks can be deceiving.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

10 to 20 feet...…………………..
Old 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,741 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
10 to 20 feet...…………………..
That's the distance of my typical tee shot
Old 04-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
I always play by the Marquis of Queensbury
Rules as dictated by Sir Loin of Beef!
LOL
and for those who don't get the reference...

Arise, Sir Loin of Beef - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
holeless, pin, wife, played, turtle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.