Strange Grass

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Strange Grass

Does anyone know what the grass is that seems to be on a lot of executive course fringes and tees? It looks like the branches of an evergreen tree. Is this supposed to be there or is it some kind of weed?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

torpedo grass
Old 10-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Good question. It's almost like velco to golf balls!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Good question. It's almost like velco to golf balls!
DON'T smoke it!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Take a sample to the UF Extension folks that are at the Pinellas Library in Fridays.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 PM

as previous poster..torpedo grass
Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Take a sample to the UF Extension folks that are at the Pinellas Library in Fridays.

What time are they there?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
DON'T smoke it!!!
Not good. Too many chemicals and pesticides!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What time are they there?
I'm not sure. Sorry!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

In anticipation of the medical marijuana bill passing, The Developer is once again at the vanguard of seizing profit opportunities and has begun testing new strains of it...right under the noses of clueless Frogs.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkfarm View Post
as previous poster..torpedo grass
I've been around golf courses up north and, to a lesser extent, down south but I've never seen this stuff before on a golf course.

I worked at three different golf courses in Florida and I've played tournaments down here and I don't recall ever seeing torpedo grass on a golf course.

Is this some kind of weed that has infiltrated our courses or was it deliberately planted? It doesn't seem to be the type of grass that belongs on a golf course, especially fringes. On most course I've played, the fringes are the same type grass as the greens but cut slightly higher.

Is there any way to communicate with the powers that be to discuss this or any other issues?

Old 10-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've been around golf courses up north and, to a lesser extent, down south but I've never seen this stuff before on a golf course.

I worked at three different golf courses in Florida and I've played tournaments down here and I don't recall ever seeing torpedo grass on a golf course.

Is this some kind of weed that has infiltrated our courses or was it deliberately planted? It doesn't seem to be the type of grass that belongs on a golf course, especially fringes. On most course I've played, the fringes are the same type grass as the greens but cut slightly higher.

Is there any way to communicate with the powers that be to discuss this or any other issues?
I'm playing Silver Lake tomorrow I'll ask the guys there if they know what kind of grass it is.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

Golf Management Solutions. 352.753.3396
Old 10-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Sage

The prevailing weeds on the courses are goose grass which is somewhat like crabgrass but has longer stolons, and paspalum which is similar to the hybrid bermuda on our greens, but has a slightly thicker/wider blade and more yellow-green than the Bermuda grass.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The prevailing weeds on the courses are goose grass which is somewhat like crabgrass but has longer stolons, and paspalum which is similar to the hybrid bermuda on our greens, but has a slightly thicker/wider blade and more yellow-green than the Bermuda grass.
So this "torpedo grass" (assuming that's what it is) is purposely planted on the fringes and tees?

I thought that pretty much the entire golf courses were planted in some sort of hybrid Bermuda.

Most of the golf courses I've played outside The Villages were Bermuda tees, fairways and rough except in the winter when roughs, greens and aprons were over seeded with annual rye grasses.

I've noticed that the fairways on most of the courses I've played in TV are longer than on courses that I played in Florida in the past. I am surprised that they left Bermuda fairways that high. But then again, maybe they're not Bermuda.

I've played mostly executive courses, but I have played a few of the championships and none of the fairways I've played are like what I've played in Florida in the past.

But that's another subject. I'm more interested in this stuff on the fringes and aprons. It seems to be prevalent on the tees as well, but that doesn't bother me so much as I tee the ball up.

Closed Thread

Tags
grass, evergreen, branches, tree, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.