Don't buy new GPS App

Don't buy new GPS App

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I never thought I’d say this but the GPS application for the Villager’s since the upgrade has been nothing but terrible.
Hi Kerry AZZ lol

Please contact us at VillagesGPS@gmail.com and we will get you up and running. Both Android and iPhone apps work fine.

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
http://villagesgps.com/faq
Or you can email us anything else at:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
This is a WONDERFUL AP and well worth the very modest price of $6.99. I cannot understand why anyone would complain about it. Customer Service has always been great in the few times Ihad any questions.
I agree. This is a wonderful tool for traveling throughout The Villages in a golf cart. I've been very satisfied with the recent major update and with Customer Service when needed.
I don't understand the various complaints from posters and hope I never meet the OP based on the unfair and misleading title of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

I'm very happy with this app, however, if we are paying for it, why does it had advertising embedded into it?

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
I'm very happy with this app, however, if we are paying for it, why does it had advertising embedded into it?
Heheh. Fair question.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Probably because in a Capitalist Country businesses like to make a profit and for $6.99 , it probably does not.

I do not understand all this negativity. Creative people should be encouraged, not discouraged. The AP iprovides a great Service. Probably stopped more than a few accidents sincesafe driving and reading paper maps is not compatable . Use it, enjoy it and encourage others.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
I agree. This is a wonderful tool for traveling throughout The Villages in a golf cart. I've been very satisfied with the recent major update and with Customer Service when needed.
I don't understand the various complaints from posters and hope I never meet the OP based on the unfair and misleading title of this thread.
I agree. But then there are people who go around taking photos of cars parked on the lines in parking spaces and posting them on the internet. Maybe they should start a Club for that activity....the NEGATIVE THINKERS. Or “NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SMILING” CLUB.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Probably because in a Capitalist Country businesses like to make a profit and for $6.99 , it probably does not.

I do not understand all this negativity...
I don’t think the question you replied to is based on negativity. I think it’s based on experience. Most apps give you an option...get it for free and deal with ads, or pay for it and have the ads removed.

I’m okay with the app as it is. But I will repeat...the question asked by kahuna is a fair one.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

App works great on my iPhone 7. A far advancement from using the paper map when we first came in 2014. Props to the developers.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 AM

I am not a GPS person. I'm hearing impaired, AND I have ADD. The distraction of having to look at the GPS because I can't understand the words that the voice is saying on the cell phone would be a really bad thing. That is WHY I need written directions instead of a map or a voice. It's so much easier for me to remember "When the first mexican restaurant is on your far right corner, take a right. Then take a left onto Paige, you'll see Ay Jalisco on your right at that turn. Look for the little sign on your left that directs you to the golf cart bridge, and take a right there. Over the bridge, follow all the main roads in the leftish direction past the park, and the Paradise mail boxes will be on your left. If you see a cross-road that goes to a stop light on your left, you drove too far" than to listen to numeric and NSEW directions, or to try and decipher a map.

I need landmark directions, in other words. But having my husband in the golf cart with me repeating the directions that voice on the cell phone was saying was very helpful. We got turned around a few times because the GPS is just SOOOO distracting to me and I have a really hard time concentrating on driving when I need to divert my attention to other things (music is not a problem, since it's not a "necessary" thing that requires my attention. But having a conversation with someone while I'm driving is, if I'm unfamiliar with the area).

When I tried testing the GPS by trying to read the map, I found the map wouldn't sit still and that was frustrating as well. I turned into a parking lot and was in a space so I could pay attention, and it said to take a left. Except - a left would have taken me to the curb at the edge of the parking lot. So "left" was meaningless. I'm sure there's a toggle for that but I hadn't gotten to that part of my experimenting yet. And then I pressed something, not sure what, and couldn't get the voice to say anything anymore til I reset the app.

On the other hand - I found after several trips over a 3-day period, I was becoming more comfortable with the thing.

It's a learning curve some of us just have difficulty with, and is no fault of the app. Everything seemed to do what it was supposed to do. I'm just still learning what these gizmos are supposed to do.
Maybe change really isn’t good?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 AM

Default Maybe change really isn’t good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages GPS View Post
Hi and Thank you for your questions.

Just so you know...We are Villagers like yourself.

We started this back in 2012 because all there was back then is a paper map and holding it while driving was impossible. It was released in 2013.

So... we decided to make an app... it cost a small fortune to make it because we don't code and aren't developers. As The Villages grows, we have to continuously update the app and bugs, unfortunately, do happen. Technology can be a huge pain and we have had our share of issues.

We just wanted to help Villagers like ourselves from getting lost.

Why isn't it free you ask? Why doesn't the developer give us all our houses for free? Why didn't work your job for free lol ;-)

We are talking about $6.99 and all the free updates for the life of your device on whatever app store you bought it on.

The truth of the matter is... it is an ongoing cost and we put everything back into the app. We still have a real job even though we do live here. If you look at all of the updates we have done, you can see we haven't rested and always try our best to improve the app.

If ANYONE reading this is having an issue with the app, Please contact us at VillagesGPS@gmail.com and we will get you back up and running.
I understand the amount of hard and costly work that went into this application. Since the change of looks and upgrades over the past year the application seems to be much tougher to use. If your going to preload Restaurants and shopping maybe you should do it after you have a complete list? I’ve made its point to tell new folks here to download your application. It still is my go to application for my golf cart. And at a price less than a drink it’s still a good deal.

Tags
app, gps, phone, call, support