iOS Compatibility Issue?

iOS Compatibility Issue?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

iOS Compatibility Issue?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Angry iOS Compatibility Issue?

The app no longer works on my iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.1. All settings are correct, removed all and reinstalled. Every location entered returns "Error Route not found". Is there a fix?

Turns out it wasn't a compatibility problem. The issue was identified as interference when I tried to use the app from home. Went a little distance away from home and everything works perfectly. I can't say enough good things about the developer and the support provided. There were a series of 14 e-mails between us trying to identify the cause and providing possible fixes. I'm a very satisfied customer! If you're having problems, send them an e-mail. They're responsive and helpful.

Last edited by 2AFRetSNCOs; 04-15-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Issue identified and resolved.

Ipad. Works fine
Old 04-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Ipad. Works fine

Updated iPad 9.7 Pro to 10.3.1 today. Apps I later used, including Villages GPS, worked.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
Updated iPad 9.7 Pro to 10.3.1 today. Apps I later used, including Villages GPS, worked.

Yea, the only app I have that didn't work after the update was the villages gps app which is the worst piece of junk app and was totally useless to begin with and it remains totally useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM

FWIW, The Villages GPS app runs fine on my iPhone 5s with 10.3.1 -- of course it always has worked well. In my opinion this app is far from "the worst piece of junk app and was totally useless to begin with..."

It's a great app that works well and has some very unique features that make it one of my most-used apps when I'm in The Villages.

I'd try deleting the app completely from your iPhone and re-installing. That's fixed other apps for me when they began crashing.

[NOTE: I am NOT affiliated with the developer of this app, just a happy customer.]
Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLEPEU View Post
FWIW, The Villages GPS app runs fine on my iPhone 5s with 10.3.1 -- of course it always has worked well. In my opinion this app is far from "the worst piece of junk app and was totally useless to begin with..."

It's a great app that works well and has some very unique features that make it one of my most-used apps when I'm in The Villages.

I'd try deleting the app completely from your iPhone and re-installing. That's fixed other apps for me when they began crashing.

[NOTE: I am NOT affiliated with the developer of this app, just a happy customer.]

The first time I used the app, when I first moved into town about two months ago it took me into the circle at Morse right past the sign saying no carts beyond this point instead of having me go through the Winn-Dixie parking lot about 100 yards before. It didn't recognize the change of the golf cart path that was supposedly changed out 4 years ago.That was after it crashed about six different times. The next time I used it it told me my house in the village of Amelia was 1300 miles (not a typo) from Lake Sumter Landing again after crashing about 14 times. The next time I used it was three days ago (I am a glutton for punishment ) when I wanted to go from the village of Amelia to Brownsville for the first time by cart. it made me turn left instead of right and then it crashed somewhere on the other side of 466a.

It does have some other decent features other than navigation but navigation is why I purchased it.

I do believe you have the answer to the problem. You are using an iPhone 5s. This app was probably written for that hardware or earlier and has not been able to keep up with the newer hardware versions of the iPhone. I have had nothing but constant crashes and shut downs of the app in the middle of using it. Fortunately for me I have learned my way around most of the golf cart paths in the villages and no longer need it but for a new person who is totally lost when they come in here they could end up getting Lost or at worse killed on a traffic circle when the app directs you to an incorrect turn because it has not been properly updated as it did to me on my second day here.

I'm not a novice, and I am aware of how to troubleshoot since I have been in IT for the last 25 year before retiring. I've never had an app consistently crash and just shut down like this from any other navigation app on my phone or any phone or tablet I've ever owned. In theory this app is great, however I would never recommend it to anyone never here before just out of fear of being misdirected into a dangerous situation due to incorrect mapping. I really hope they have a very good quality very high dollar liability insurance policy because the navigation on this app is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Please disregard the weird typos as I am dictating this to the phone rather than typing it in.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The first time I used the app, when I first moved into town about two months ago it took me into the circle at Morse right past the sign saying no carts beyond this point instead of having me go through the Winn-Dixie parking lot about 100 yards before. It didn't recognize the change of the golf cart path that was supposedly changed out 4 years ago.That was after it crashed about six different times. The next time I used it it told me my house in the village of Amelia was 1300 miles (not a typo) from Lake Sumter Landing again after crashing about 14 times. The next time I used it was three days ago (I am a glutton for punishment ) when I wanted to go from the village of Amelia to Brownsville for the first time by cart. it made me turn left instead of right and then it crashed somewhere on the other side of 466a.

It does have some other decent features other than navigation but navigation is why I purchased it.

I do believe you have the answer to the problem. You are using an iPhone 5s. This app was probably written for that hardware or earlier and has not been able to keep up with the newer hardware versions of the iPhone. I have had nothing but constant crashes and shut downs of the app in the middle of using it. Fortunately for me I have learned my way around most of the golf cart paths in the villages and no longer need it but for a new person who is totally lost when they come in here they could end up getting Lost or at worse killed on a traffic circle when the app directs you to an incorrect turn because it has not been properly updated as it did to me on my second day here.

I'm not a novice, and I am aware of how to troubleshoot since I have been in IT for the last 25 year before retiring. I've never had an app consistently crash and just shut down like this from any other navigation app on my phone or any phone or tablet I've ever owned. In theory this app is great, however I would never recommend it to anyone never here before just out of fear of being misdirected into a dangerous situation due to incorrect mapping. I really hope they have a very good quality very high dollar liability insurance policy because the navigation on this app is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Please disregard the weird typos as I am dictating this to the phone rather than typing it in.

I suspect you have something else going on.....the app works right if the information and expectations are input properly. I have used it from Brownwood to Spanish Springs by cart and have never had an issue. Some of my friends live in places I didn't know existed up north so it was critical in my travels. It has never led me astray. Being an IT guy doesn't make you imune or better than others.....just may help in understnading the process but not the code.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

I never suggested I was any better than you or anyone else just that I have been dealing with support of these devices going back to the first Palm smartphone back in the late 90s and know I am using it properly and how to troubleshoot recurring issues.

The issues with misdirection and my other examples have been confirmed by the devs in multiple email conversations when they occurred. I probably still have the screenshots I sent them in our emails.

Have you read the AppStore reviews? Bottom line to me is the app is worthless for what I purchased it for. Navigation --and can be downright dangerous if one is new to TV and doesn't know where they are around here. I'm glad it works and satisfies you. I'm glad the first time you used it it didn't direct you onto the (non-existent for the last 4 years) cart path at LSL and into the circle there as it did me.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi EdFNJ,
Have you checked to see if there is a new update for our app.

The latest update came out March 13.

1. Go to your App Store App (Blue)*
2. Click the Update button on the bottom right.
3. Find Villages GPS (Blue with a compass)*
4. Click Update.

If there isn't a new update for your app now....We are in the middle of a massive update with a All New navigation and new look that will be awesome and fix a lot of the issues that we have had. Look for that in a month or so.

We keep listening to everyone and will never stop trying to make this app the best for all of us Villagers.
YES, we are Villagers ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I never suggested I was any better than you or anyone else just that I have been dealing with support of these devices going back to the first Palm smartphone back in the late 90s and know I am using it properly and how to troubleshoot recurring issues.

The issues with misdirection and my other examples have been confirmed by the devs in multiple email conversations when they occurred. I probably still have the screenshots I sent them in our emails.

Have you read the AppStore reviews? Bottom line to me is the app is worthless for what I purchased it for. Navigation --and can be downright dangerous if one is new to TV and doesn't know where they are around here. I'm glad it works and satisfies you. I'm glad the first time you used it it didn't direct you onto the (non-existent for the last 4 years) cart path at LSL and into the circle there as it did me.

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
http://thevillagesgps.com/faq
Or you can email us anything else at:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Update
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Default Update

UPDATE as of April 18th.... for everyone who has the app now and those who don't.

We are in the middle of a Massive update with a All New navigation, Map and Look that will be awesome! It will fix a some bugs that we have had and will make the app very stable. Look for that coming in a month or so after we do a lot of testing.

We will always listen to you and will always try to make this App the best possible and will not rest until we do.

Just so you know, we are Villagers like yourself that started this back in in 2012 because WE were so lost driving around this great town. The app went live in the app stores on December of 2013.

We have had our ups and downs and just keep chugging along and putting money back into the app as we get it. Trust us...It isn't cheap to do make a navigation app from scratch lol.

With that being said.... We appreciate your support over the years and will keep doing our best.

If you are having issues with our app, please send us a email by clicking the link below and we will get back to you within a day and most of the time a lot faster.

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
http://thevillagesgps.com/faq
Or you can email us anything else at:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Still makes little sense that there are a lot of us with the app on an iphone with the most current OS upgrade and have zero issues. I would also hope that if the developers are having an issue where the app could send you into harms way they would not remain silent on the issue. Has to be something else going on.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
ios, location, entered, reinstalled, returns