Newest Update for iPhones!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Default Newest Update for iPhones!

Hi Everyone...
We just wanted to let you know we have a new update available that fixed or Search issue.

HINT: When searching for a Place like "Publix"
Add "The Villages" after Publix and they will all show up for you.

Please follow these steps to update.

1. Go to your App Store App
2. Click the Update button on the bottom right.
3. Find Villages GPS
4. Click Update

We hope everyone has a Wonderful and Safe Christmas :-)

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
http://thevillagesgps.com/faq
Or you can email us anything else at:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage

A search brings up Villages GPS and Villages_GPS. Why two? Are they the same? Is one more updated?

Also, an unrelated question/request...

When I zoom in to a section of a displayed route, the app automatically zooms back out. Why? I'd like to be able to look at route segments more closely.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 10:32 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi and Thank you for contacting us.

When you go to the App Store app and search for Villages GPS we have 2 apps.

One says. Villages GPS
The other says Vilages_GPS

Villages_GPS was originally made for iPads back in the day and Apple won't allow us to combine them into one. They are exactly the same but we have to keep Villages_GPS because a lot of people bought that app, so as advertised, they get all updates free.

As for the Zoom.
There are 2 ways to do what you want to do.

1. After finding where you want to go, Click Directions by Golf Cart or Car.
After that, don't click Start and you can zoom in wherever you want and the blue dot showing where you are will move along with you.
There obviously won't be any directions but there are a lot of users that have told us they travel that way.

2. The other way is after clicking Start....it shows you where you are. Then just click the snake looking icon on the top right.... that shows you the whole route.
Then you can move the map with your finger and you can pinch in and out to see wherever you want.

You will see the Re Center button as well. Just click that to zoom back in to where you currently are.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
A search brings up Villages GPS and Villages_GPS. Why two? Are they the same? Is one more updated?

Also, an unrelated question/request...

When I zoom in to a section of a displayed route, the app automatically zooms back out. Why? I'd like to be able to look at route segments more closely.

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages GPS View Post
...As for the Zoom.
There are 2 ways to do what you want to do.

1. After finding where you want to go, Click Directions by Golf Cart or Car.
After that, don't click Start and you can zoom in wherever you want and the blue dot showing where you are will move along with you.
There obviously won't be any directions but there are a lot of users that have told us they travel that way.

2. The other way is after clicking Start....it shows you where you are. Then just click the snake looking icon on the top right.... that shows you the whole route.
Then you can move the map with your finger and you can pinch in and out to see wherever you want.

You will see the Re Center button as well. Just click that to zoom back in to where you currently are.

Hope that helps.
Sorry, but not really. Here are my results for the two suggested methods...

1. I'm one of those that never clicks Start. But when I zoom in, it doesn't stay zoomed in. It automatically zooms back out. I don't want to have to hold my fingers on the screen to stay zoomed. I just want it to stay on the screen I zoom to.

2. I tried using the Start button to see if that would do what I want. But after I zoom in, it still resets to current location and zooms back out automatically. The Re center button appears briefly, but it zooms back out whether or not I click that button.

If the app actually does what you say on some iPhones, could it be a setting or something? I'm stumped.

I want so much to like and use the Villages GPS. And I do use it some. But I usually use Google Maps just because of this issue alone.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Ok, I was just driving around and tried it again both ways.
I stand corrected on #1 It will zoom back in.
#2 After clicking Start, you can zoom in and out.
Here is a link to the video I just made Dropbox - ScreenRecording_12-13-2017 11:28.mp4

As you can see, I was driving and the blue dot showing my current location was moving.

Maybe try it again after clicking Start?

Quote:
Sorry, but not really. Here are my results for the two suggested methods...

1. I'm one of those that never clicks Start. But when I zoom in, it doesn't stay zoomed in. It automatically zooms back out. I don't want to have to hold my fingers on the screen to stay zoomed. I just want it to stay on the screen I zoom to.

2. I tried using the Start button to see if that would do what I want. But after I zoom in, it still resets to current location and zooms back out automatically. The Re center button appears briefly, but it zooms back out whether or not I click that button.

If the app actually does what you say on some iPhones, could it be a setting or something? I'm stumped.

I want so much to like and use the Villages GPS. And I do use it some. But I usually use Google Maps just because of this issue alone.

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ok, I was just driving around and tried it again both ways.
I stand corrected on #1 It will zoom back in.
#2 After clicking Start, you can zoom in and out.
Here is a link to the video I just made Dropbox - ScreenRecording_12-13-2017 11:28.mp4

As you can see, I was driving and the blue dot showing my current location was moving.

Maybe try it again after clicking Start?
Your video shows you just barely moved the screen away from your current location.That works for me too.

I'm talking about scrolling the screen pretty far away from my current location, possibly near my destination. That still doesn't work for me. App automatically takes me back. It won't stay zoomed where I want it.

I think looking at zoomed in views of route segments is very useful and reasonable.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Well, we just haven't had many users asking about that type of feature. BUT...We will look at disabling the whole screen in the future.

Thank you so much for your input and have a Wonderful Christmas.

Quote:
Your video shows you just barely moved the screen away from your current location.That works for me too.

I'm talking about scrolling the screen pretty far away from my current location, possibly near my destination. That still doesn't work for me. App automatically takes me back. It won't stay zoomed where I want it.

I think looking at zoomed in views of route segments is very useful and reasonable.

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, we just haven't had many users asking about that type of feature. BUT...We will look at disabling the whole screen in the future.

Thank you so much for your input and have a Wonderful Christmas.
Thanks for the exchange. And Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:56 PM

For what it is worth, I would like the same functionality that Polar Bear was asking for. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 AM

If you put in Polo Field it shows 5051 miles to destination something wrong with this destination.
Closed Thread

Tags
update, villages, publix, app, click