» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDeaf View Post
What about the text version instead of voice directions for people with hearing loss? Also, why should I pay another $4.99 for my spouse's phone? Please advise.
The Villages GPS app does have text turn by turn on it for your convenience (and for hearing impaired). You can follow along on the map or hit "Steps" in bottom right to simply see just all TEXT.

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
http://thevillagesgps.com/faq
Or you can email us anything else at:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
App looks great but my husband says it shows Brownwood as undeveloped yet? Hope the app updates frequently!
In Satellite view yes you are correct Brownwood is dirt but it will update when the satellites update again (we have the most up to date satellites software). Thanks for your purchase...

Here is the FAQ section on our site to help common questions that we are updating all the time:
VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
It seems that only the latest Garmin GPS has the streets south of 499a. I did download the Villages GPS App and since I am not currently at the Villages it is hard to tell if it will be any good. If Garmin was smart they would do an optional Golf Cart map to download into your current Garmin GPS.
Thanks for your purchase… Garmin and any other GPS devices I would highly highly doubt would ever take the time and money to do what we did to cater just the cart paths of the villages as they are all big companies and the profit margins are not there for them. Also, There is no need for it in other communities as The Villages, Florida is truly one of a kind.. Which is why we brought it to you.. The nice thing is not only do you have this for cart trails but you can also drive by car from anywhere in the United States as well with our handy app.. When I am not in The Villages I use our menu and it will find area restaurants,etc which I like...Thanks!!

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Maybe, maybe not
Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Location: In July 2012 we'll be moving from Amelia to St. James.
Default Maybe, maybe not

To begin with, this is the very first time I've spent this much to get an app, but thought it would be worth it if it worked. So far, it's been problematic for me. For example, taking me from where I now live in St. James to where I used to live in Amelia, it took me to 466A clear down to Rolling Acres, and then to an intersection that doesn't exist! Obviously missing something there. Do appreciate having the buttons to push rather than typing the whole name for the rec centers and golf courses. Lived here for 6 years and still haven't visited all the rec centers, and sure haven't played all the golf courses, so maybe it'll be worth it eventually.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpusher View Post
To begin with, this is the very first time I've spent this much to get an app, but thought it would be worth it if it worked. So far, it's been problematic for me. For example, taking me from where I now live in St. James to where I used to live in Amelia, it took me to 466A clear down to Rolling Acres, and then to an intersection that doesn't exist! Obviously missing something there. Do appreciate having the buttons to push rather than typing the whole name for the rec centers and golf courses. Lived here for 6 years and still haven't visited all the rec centers, and sure haven't played all the golf courses, so maybe it'll be worth it eventually.
Oldpusher,

We use the latest software available on the market for all of the Golf Cart routes. We know that sometimes the app can drive you on a “not approved” street for Golf Carts in The Villages like you described above. So until we make it absolutely perfect…. we actually took a full year to map every single Golf Cart path. They are in "Green". These certain roads Golf Carts are not allowed on are in "Red". The GPS route that our software suggest is always in "Blue".

We have every time on the app a popup box with the Red, Green and Blue explanation. It’s actually pretty easy once you use it a couple times… When you use the GPS on the Golf Carts, we suggest everyone zoom over your whole route before driving it to make sure it takes you on all green. If you see a red, once you get there continue in the direction of your destination on a GREEN trail and you can follow the green lines to your destination.

There is a “ReRoute” at the top right once your on the green line that you can push and if your far away from the red one it will take you to your destination once again… It may take a few minutes to figure out but we are giving you the tools to do so to make it easy…

We are hard at work with our developers and the software to make it perfect and to say the least… I won’t go into details but this is a very tedious task and not a simple solution. We are working hard to have it completed and thank you for your patience.

Our people are looking at 466A clear down to Rolling Acres on the "intersection that doesn't exist" which doesn't make sense.. we will drive this and handle. Thanks for your confidence in us..

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

I thought $4.99 was WAY too expensive for a phone app. Whether it is right or not, my first thought was "here we go with The Villages' gouging, again". And, to think the total cost would be $10 (rounded) for two phones in the household. Just not worth it to me. My opinion, please don't blast me for my opinion!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Will this app work on an iPad with only wifi. Can I still use it away from wifi?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

You would need probably an IPAD with a internet subscription hooked up to verizon or att, etc… WIFI wouldn't work because as soon as you drove off you would lose it.. If you had a WIFI mobile router device in the cart with it… that would work...

We would never bash anyone for their opinions in fact we welcome it.. We know TOTV very well and love TOTV and decided we wanted to be here on an OPEN forum about these discussions. We knew that some people wouldn't pay for apps or will voice negative opinions as we saw negative responses on here to great services like Chik-Fil-A so we knew we would get some of them as well. But with every one negative we have had 50 positives and we thank you!! It goes back to... you get what you pay for… There are many apps by the way that are $9.99, $14.99 and higher.. Trust me the $4.99 price was well thought out and it will take us YEARS to get our money back… YEARS! We polled many friends and Villagers as we developed it and they said if we were able to this… $4.99 is nothing to have for LIFE! You can think of it as 1 penny a day for one straight year and it's paid for… There is no competition for us in this market on what we offer and have in this app. Anything FREE out there is not this product. Thanks everyone.. the responses has been great...

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!

Last edited by Villages GPS; 08-19-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Got your app this afternoon. It looks good but I have a couple of comments:

1. When I request a cart route to a location that is inaccessible by cart, the app should point that out. For example, the Aldi in Lady Lake is one such point but the app shows a route and makes no comment. (Yes, the last portion is in red but people may overlook that.)

2. The restaurant list is woefully incomplete. Are only stores that paid to be listed included?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhbear View Post
Got your app this afternoon. It looks good but I have a couple of comments:

1. When I request a cart route to a location that is inaccessible by cart, the app should point that out. For example, the Aldi in Lady Lake is one such point but the app shows a route and makes no comment. (Yes, the last portion is in red but people may overlook that.)

2. The restaurant list is woefully incomplete. Are only stores that paid to be listed included?
Thanks for your purchase… Answers to your questions:

1. Since the Aldi is Lady Lake and there is no authorized GOLF CART path to get you there.. like you said.. it's red at the end to indicate you can't go on there because the road to get there not accessible by golf carts. Our App will show you how to get there regardless though… We will take your suggestion for the next update about seeing if a pop up is possible to say "the app should not be accessible by Golf Cart" in stuff that is outside the Villages when going by golf carts...

2.The Restaurants pay nothing as we just want the best device for Villagers. The list is complete but When you click "Shopping or Restaurants" We show you the top 30 results closest to your location at the present time. This is a great function that knows to give you the closest locations but sometimes the business you are looking isn't there due to the restaurant not update their website "meta tags" that say they are a "Restaurant" so they can occasionally can be left out in the search. The computers that do the Search for you uses Meta tag Keywords.

If you have a specific search and it doesn’t pop up….the best way to find those actual places is by:
-Click "Search" at the Top right side
-Type in your search
-Then there will be around 20 of the closest locations of your search
-Then you click on the "Heart" beside the location you like to save in your Favorites for quick access next time. Make sure the heart turns Red so it saves in your Favorites.

Thanks again...

VillagesGPS@gmail.com

We are here for you!!!