NOVA Water Filtrations

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default NOVA Water Filtrations

NOVA Water Filtrations

I want to thank all my clients for trusting us with their water filtration systems, for the past three years. As a fellow Villager I understand the water quality here in The Villages.

As most of you may have read my background has been designing and installing water filtrations systems for aquariums since 1974 on Long Island. Fish actually require better water chemistry then us.
So it is with that background I can offer superior filtration options on three levels.

My proprietary custom designed Triple Whole House Filter is the mainstay of this business and have installed many here that have had positive reviews not only on TOV but word of mouth.
The Villages Florida

We are now going offer Reverse Osmosis (also called RO) filters with are 4 stage filters mounted adjacent to your kitchen sink for the purest water. W offer designer faucets to complement your existing faucet or sink. There are others offering these for upwards of $600.
We can offer these with better quality at an introductory price of $299! (Granite counters slightly higher)
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida

I know I said in the past that you don’t need a water softener; however, due to demand I will now offer them at an introductory price of $999.
However, while there are some benefits I think our Triple Whole House filter meets the needs here. But those that wish to have them can call us.

The Villages Florida

Since I’m supposed to be retired this expansion will require additional personnel, to that end my son Brad has decided to relocate here, he is a Navy Vet and has working experience in the family run Aquarium stores for over 20 Years.
For further info and details my direct Cell 631.338.1048

Main phone 352.566.2649

Thanks
Bob & Brad

Last edited by Ad poster; 02-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Arrow

A bit of back ground on myself I’ve been in the aquarium (pet) industry over 35 years, during that time specializing in ponds, fish and reef tanks. Reef tanks demand a very high quality of water and some of the larger systems have upwards of $40K invested in its livestock.

For many years we have been selling the source water filtration systems for these aquariums in our stores and an authorized dealer.

The Villages Florida

The basic system is the one I already mentioned made by Axeon Water Technologies. We have had good results with their products, they are I believe one of the largest manufacturers in the US and private label for many others. They also make RO units which we use on tanks all the time. In addition they also manufacturer water softeners but be mindful all their products are commercial grade.

In the Villages the water is hard, but water hardness is not harmful to us so the issue is do you need or want soft water. As you know folks have been selling these for about $2500 to $7500, we can offer a unit as robust if not more so with equal or better ratings and capacities for only $1499.

“AXEON Meter Water Softeners use advanced ion exchange resin technology in order to meet the most demanding water conditions. These systems are designed for maximum performance with a minimal amount of maintenance and comply with all industry standards and specifications.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners offer a new dimension in water treatment equipment and have been engineered with both the installer and consumer in mind.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners are effective in reducing hardness, iron, and regenerate based on measured gallon flow-through. AXEON Meter Water Softeners require periodic backwashing to dispose of accumulated hardness ions. Backwashing allows for removal of contaminants through regeneration with a salt or potassium solution”

Having said that, I myself will not being installing a water softener in my Village home instead I’m using a whole house filter or “WHF”.
This is a LARGE triple 20” canister including the all important carbon bloc, removing what I feel is the primary contaminate for us to ingest, cook or bath in.
You will notice in the picture there are two gauges on the unit these will indicate a drop in water pressure comparing the incoming to our going. Easily telling you when the cartridge elements need changing. It is estimated that these filter elements will last 9-12 months replacements are low cost.

The Villages Florida

Notice the two pressure gauges!
So the question here is will a whole house filter “WHF” suffice to deliver the clean water you need or do you need a softener. IMO the whole house filter should be satisfactory for most homes at a low cost of not only initial purchase but replacement filters on an ongoing basis.

Lastly, if you decide to switch to a water softener after the getting a WHF it will work as a pre-filter removing sediments before the softener and the carbon can be used as a post filter to remove chlorine after the softener, so the investment in the WHF will not be wasted.

Just a note in any softener installation a carbon filter must be used to remove chlorine & other contaminates after the softener.

If you do nothing else get a whole house carbon filter for about $139.

The first shipment arrived of these great filters, I'll be installing one in my new home in the next few day and I'll post pics of the install.

If prefer to install the unit I'll give you complete instructions on how to do it.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

In the past few days I had a few questions about what a whole house filter “WHF” such as this can and cannot do.

I thought I would share with you that info.

The purpose of this 3 stage filter is to first remove sediment in your potable water this is designed to remove this in two stages a coarse grade and then a fine grade.

Sediment filters stages 1 & 2
How it works: Water that appears cloudy or turbid is caused by particulates (such as rust, sand, heavy metals, or clay) found in the water sediment filters that remove suspended solids, variously referred to as turbidity, sediment or particulate. Also
In general terms, filters of this type are sieving devices. They are like nets that catch and hold particles that are too large to pass through the holes in their surface. Our filter will remove particles as small as Talcum Powder, that’s very small.

Water softeners do not remove sediment!

Problem with typical residential filters is it’s hard almost impossible to know when to change them, too soon you’re wasting money, this unit has two pressure gauges measure the differential pressure to indicate when the cartridge needs replacement.
The Villages Florida
Next the water free of sediments is passed thru stage 3 the carbon filter bloc, having removed the sediment beforehand allows the carbon to effectively do what it should without clogging up with that sediment.
Just putting in a carbon filter alone isn’t nearly as effective.

Carbon filter stage 3
The carbon removes bad tastes and odors, including chlorine. Also can substantially reduce many hazardous contaminants, including heavy metals such as copper, lead and mercury; disinfection byproducts; parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium; pesticides; radon; and volatile organic chemicals such as methyl-tert-butyl ether (MTBE), dichlorobenzene and trichloroethylene (TCE).

The following lists of features are what combine to create the type of filter that will remove the widest range of possible contaminants in the drinking water:
• Mechanical straining: the block of carbon mechanically strains out dirt, sediment, rust, algae, bacteria, microscopic worms, cryptosporidia and asbestos.
• This is all accomplished by water pressure so no electricity is required.
• Chemical bonding: As explained earlier, activated carbon bonds to thousands of chemicals. In fact, carbon will bond to most chemicals known to man!
• Health-providing trace minerals like dissolved calcium and magnesium do not bond to carbon and are allowed to pass through, thereby retaining the health quality and good taste of the water.
• Prevention of bacterial growth: Bacteria are strained out and remain on the outside of the carbon block. Therefore, because of the density and lack of oxygen and space inside the block, bacteria cannot breed in the medium and come out in the finished water.

Water softeners do not remove sediment or chlorine.

I have used this system for very delicate aquarium fish & live corals that are more sensitive to water quality than we are, it works.

If you still fell you want to go further there are two additional choices.

I personally don’t believe you need either one.

A water softener, but understand that hard water itself is not harmful to us, but having the whole house filter installed with it allows the softener to work more effectively and allows the salts to last much longer.

Reverse Osmosis “RO” is not practical for the whole house but can be installed under the kitchen sink usually for drinking and cooking.

In the alternative you can buy Aquafina bottled water which is RO water.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Ok here's the one installed in my home.

The gauges show about 70PSI, that's great water pressure.

I don't have the chlorine smell that I had when using the garden hose that was where it was most evident.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0618.JPG
Views:	2418
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	9897  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

After a few days now there does seem to be difference in the feel of the water.

Maybe it's just the debris out of the water along with the absence of chlorine, most noticeable in the shower.

I installed 4 so far waiting for feedback from those folks.

Putting in two more today.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Platinum member

Where are they installed?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Here in the Villages.

Would you like to see mine here in Fernandina?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM

We have had our system for about a week and what a difference in our water. The smell is gone and our bath soap seems to lather up better. I had two company's give me estimates and both wanted to sell me a water softener and a whole house filter system $2500 to $3500. This system does not take up any room in the garage and depending on water usage you should be to get a year use out of the filters. Job well done on the installation! Any questions PM me!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM

We agree with the above statements. Soap, and shampoo lather better, we do not smell chlorine at all anymore. We are using water right from the tap now. I think our clothes seem cleaner as well. Bob does a great job installing these, he is very particular about detail and how it will look hanging on the wall.
Great job! Thank you. ~Mike and Val
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage

Thanks Mike, glad you're both enjoying the difference of really clean water.

Yours is the 22nd I've done to date.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

Just out of curiosity do you have any surveys/comments from customers that USED to have a water softener and switched to your product?

I have had a water softener for over thirty years. I lived in NJ and had a well for 25 of those years and the softener was a necessity to me. When I moved to TV I did not like the feel of the water so I got a softener and I am very happy with it. I started with the potassium one in TV and switched over to the salt one because the potassium was bad because of a health problem.

As an aside, what can yours do better?

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Well since you have it and like just continue to use it.

No one has replaced it so far, but one homeowner uses it in conjunction with their softener.

First question does yours have any type of pre or post filter?

I'll assume it does not.

My unit placed as a pre-filter removing the chlorine will allow your salts to last longer.

Of course you will not have chlorine in your cooking, bathing or drinking water as well.

Additionally the other two stages will remove sediments and heavy metals, if you saw what these filters trap upon removal you would be very shocked.

So it answer to question what can it do better - it can filter harmful contaminates out of the water.

A softener does not.

Hope that answerers your ?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Just out of curiosity do you have any surveys/comments from customers that USED to have a water softener and switched to your product?

I have had a water softener for over thirty years. I lived in NJ and had a well for 25 of those years and the softener was a necessity to me. When I moved to TV I did not like the feel of the water so I got a softener and I am very happy with it. I started with the potassium one in TV and switched over to the salt one because the potassium was bad because of a health problem.

As an aside, what can yours do better?

Z
Z, we had a water softener here for 6 years using potassium salt. We started to get a funny taste in our water from our fridge. We thought it was the fridge filter and changed it out but the problem persisted. Turns out the resin in the softener was leaching into the water output. It was going to cost $400 to fix the resin problem plus another $400 for a chlorine filter since they blamed chlorine for the demise of the resin tank. I decided to have it removed.

We got the Nova filter system in July and have noticed no problems with washing clothes, dishes, or ourselves. It is so nice to have no odor or funny taste in our tap water. The fridge filter is essentially superfluous. We are quite satisfied with the filter system and expect the filters to last about a year. I like the presence of the input and outflow gauges so we can monitor the filter performance easily.

If you decide to get one, I would suggest having it installed. I did it myself and, while it wasn't overly difficult, it did get a bit frustrating at times.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thanks Mike, glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

If you have a softener that you want to keep then it may be worth considering to have the Nova filter installed as a prefilter, that way the chlorine and sediment can't negatively affect the softener or its salts
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.