NOVA Water Filtrations

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Shall do.

tks
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Got Bob installing a Nova Water filter system the 1st week in November. Can't wait to have the system up and running.
Bob
Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Bob, I get no answer when I call the number listed. How do I get in touch with you?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi, I'm at 631 338.1048

Bob
Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb

Just a reminder to all our customers that have their systems over 12-15 months to call us to schedule cartridge replacements.

The price installed is $95 for all three and you will get the new 5 micron carbon.

(if you prefer to install yourself they are $70 for a set of three)

tks
Bob
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM

Would you please educate us on Salt-Free Water Conditioners vs. Salt Using Water Softeners. Costs, maintenance. Which we could use if we only care about scale/
Thank you
Old 02-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage

I have not seen scale in pipes here including homes that are over 15 years old.

Scale is more of a concern in copper pipes all the pipes here are CPVC (plastic)

The scale you may be referring to is claimed by salesmen selling water softeners, I assume that's where you may have heard that, if it's something else please explain further.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 PM

Isn't scale the white granular calcium deposits found inside the water closet,along the edge of the pool,etc
Old 02-20-2015, 08:05 PM

Again,could you please educate us on the difference between salt free water conditioners and salt using water softeners. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage

The deposits your speaking of is surface deposits, I was speaking to build up inside of pipes.

surface deposits which can be wiped clean with CLR 2-3 times a year and be gone, no need for a water softener.

But to answer your question

Salt based water softeners use an electronic metered valve mounted atop a fiberglass resin tank that meter water by the gallon and then run a cleaning cycle when the ion resin bed reaches a saturation point. During the cleaning cycle, the electronic valve cycles a series of back flushes to purge the hardness particulates that have been captured from the system and flush them down a drain line. The sodium is also replenished in the resin bed during the cycle and all is ready to go again.

salt free
In the process above (true water softening), hardness minerals are actually removed from the water. In the salt-free process minerals are retained in the water, but their form is changed so they will not adhere to surfaces.

Water is processed through a catalytic media using a physical process called Template Assisted Crystallization (TAC). What happens is the hardness minerals are converted to a hardness crystal that is not able to bind to surfaces. This is actually water conditioning, not softening.

does that answer your question?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Economics of each type of system? pros and cons? Maintenance costs? Thank you
Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage

We don't advocate the use of them, they don't actually filter water.

It is my position far better results are obtained with our triple whole house filter, at considerable saving and maintenance over other types.

see this page https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...d-water-91472/
Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 AM

Thank you Jimbo. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems salt based systems are very expensive, often not necessary, and have high maintenance costs. Salt free water conditioners sort of polish the Ca and Mg so they don't adhere as much but they still end up being deposited after the water dries. i.e. expensive but don't do much?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Sage

That sums it up, that's why the Triple is the best punch for the buck under $500 and $95 a year maintenance.

I'm disconnecting another softener (my 6th one) this Wednesday in fact, replacing it with Triple
Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
A bit of back ground on myself I’ve been in the aquarium (pet) industry over 35 years, during that time specializing in ponds, fish and reef tanks. Reef tanks demand a very high quality of water and some of the larger systems have upwards of $40K invested in its livestock.

For many years we have been selling the source water filtration systems for these aquariums in our stores and an authorized dealer.

The Villages Florida

The basic system is the one I already mentioned made by Axeon Water Technologies. We have had good results with their products, they are I believe one of the largest manufacturers in the US and private label for many others. They also make RO units which we use on tanks all the time. In addition they also manufacturer water softeners but be mindful all their products are commercial grade.

In the Villages the water is hard, but water hardness is not harmful to us so the issue is do you need or want soft water. As you know folks have been selling these for about $2500 to $7500, we can offer a unit as robust if not more so with equal or better ratings and capacities for only $1499.

“AXEON Meter Water Softeners use advanced ion exchange resin technology in order to meet the most demanding water conditions. These systems are designed for maximum performance with a minimal amount of maintenance and comply with all industry standards and specifications.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners offer a new dimension in water treatment equipment and have been engineered with both the installer and consumer in mind.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners are effective in reducing hardness, iron, and regenerate based on measured gallon flow-through. AXEON Meter Water Softeners require periodic backwashing to dispose of accumulated hardness ions. Backwashing allows for removal of contaminants through regeneration with a salt or potassium solution”

Having said that, I myself will not being installing a water softener in my Village home instead I’m using a whole house filter or “WHF”.
This is a LARGE triple 20” canister including the all important carbon bloc, removing what I feel is the primary contaminate for us to ingest, cook or bath in.
You will notice in the picture there are two gauges on the unit these will indicate a drop in water pressure comparing the incoming to our going. Easily telling you when the cartridge elements need changing. It is estimated that these filter elements will last 9-12 months replacements are low cost.

The Villages Florida

Notice the two pressure gauges!
So the question here is will a whole house filter “WHF” suffice to deliver the clean water you need or do you need a softener. IMO the whole house filter should be satisfactory for most homes at a low cost of not only initial purchase but replacement filters on an ongoing basis.

Lastly, if you decide to switch to a water softener after the getting a WHF it will work as a pre-filter removing sediments before the softener and the carbon can be used as a post filter to remove chlorine after the softener, so the investment in the WHF will not be wasted.

Just a note in any softener installation a carbon filter must be used to remove chlorine & other contaminates after the softener.

If you do nothing else get a whole house carbon filter for about $139.

The first shipment arrived of these great filters, I'll be installing one in my new home in the next few day and I'll post pics of the install.

If prefer to install the unit I'll give you complete instructions on how to do it.

I think this is good information , thanks Jimbo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.