Water purification or water softener

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Default Water purification or water softener

We are just curious as to how many villagers use water softners or whole house water purification systems or both.
With all the sinkholes there has to be a lot of limestone which leads to hard water problems.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Eternal Member

I have a water softener and am very happy with it.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Both were in my resale when I bought it. I don't think much of the water softener because I am used to hard water. But my reverse osmosis system at the kitchen sink is terrific. I've had some trouble getting reliable folks to replace filters, but I would not be without the system.

If you are wondering what I mean, put tap water in a clean clear glass. Hold it up to the light. See what you are drinking here?
Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Please read this thread about hard water.

The softeners don't remove chlorine or sediments etc.

Then see our whole house filters here

Hope this helps make an informed decision
Old 10-19-2013, 03:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
Both were in my resale when I bought it. I don't think much of the water softener because I am used to hard water. But my reverse osmosis system at the kitchen sink is terrific. I've had some trouble getting reliable folks to replace filters, but I would not be without the system.
They (RO's) are good but it is only in the kitchen but you still are bathing in not so good water, if you have a pool or spa that's the same bad water!

To have all your household water filtered is the healthy option, it would also allow your RO membranes to last a lot longer because chlorine eats them up.
Also your expensive ice cube maker filter will last a very long time too.

Quote:
If you are wondering what I mean, put tap water in a clean clear glass. Hold it up to the light. See what you are drinking here?
True

Been doing these over 30 years
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Sage

We had a softener installed shortly after we moved in due to the reports of hard water. Things went well for about four years, although lifting the bags of salt into the tank got to be a bother. Then we started to get a weird taste in our water, so we replaced the fridge filter, but it continued. And we noticed it in the tap water as well. The fridge died and we bought a new one, but the taste was still there. We replaced the fridge filter twice, but there was no improvement.

That's when we had the softener checked and discovered the resin in the softener was getting into the outlet and contaminating our entire water supply. The softener company wanted $500 to repair the unit plus another $400+ for a filter to remove chlorine which they said was responsible for the damage to the softener. I had them take out the unit entirely.

We got a water hardness test done and it showed the water was only mildly hard. Then we bought a filter system from Nova and installed it. Our water tastes wonderful. There is no problem washing clothes, dishes, or residents. Soaps and cleaners lather normally. Very happy with that change. And the filters should last a year before replacing.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 AM

We moved into our new home in September and immediately installed a Nova filtration system. Very satisfied with the system. Our water (Collier) is had a 7.4PH and is mildly hard at best. We use a Kangen system for drinking that increases the PH to 9.5.

Some areas may require a water softener but they are not the magic bullet that the sales people make them out to be. Get a good filtration first and then decide in a softener is required.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Thumbs up

Thank you both for your support.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Sage

Ok, Jimbo, I've thought it over and I'm ready to get my filtration system. Couple of questions..What if I also want a loop thingy to keep water hot? who does that?
does Nova's system come installed or is that added on and done by ____?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I would like to know if it's possible to have the Nova filtration and still retain your water softener. We've softened our water for the last 25 years, and we simply don't want to lose that. But I would like to have our water filtered.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would like to know if it's possible to have the Nova filtration and still retain your water softener. We've softened our water for the last 25 years, and we simply don't want to lose that. But I would like to have our water filtered.
I would expect it is very possible since our water softener company wanted to put a filter in along with the repaired softener to remove the chlorine.

But, truthfully, we have noticed no change in our clothes, or washing dishes, or washing ourselves in the four months since we removed the softener and went with filtration only.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Thanks, Mikeod.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Another vote for the Nova system - we had ours installed a couple weeks ago, and notice a huge improvement in the quality and taste of our tap water. Low cost and no maintenance except to change the filters once a year.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Ok, Jimbo, I've thought it over and I'm ready to get my filtration system. Couple of questions..What if I also want a loop thingy to keep water hot? who does that?
does Nova's system come installed or is that added on and done by ____?
We don't do the hot water loops, but if you search there was a thread about that and some found that the cost of running several gallons thru the system was not worth the investment. Try timing how long it actually takes to get hot at different points in the house.

-----

The system is installed ready to use for $495,
we are running about 10-14 days out to booking installs.

So just let me know when you're ready

Here's what it looks like

The Villages Florida

Each canister (3) are large 6" X 24", it is heavy duty unit. Notice the two pressure gauges!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes it is.

There are two ways to do it.

1. Before the system, that way the chlorine is removed which breaks down the softener materiel faster, the down side of that is the softener will add back some debris.

2. After the system, we prefer this way because the debris from the softener is then filtered out before is used in the home.

The Nova system will filter hard or soft water makes no difference.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.