Water purification or water softener

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb

Having said that, if you don't already have a water softener I suggest not getting one until first installing our whole house filter.

I can install the water softener from (Axeon) the same manufacturer also. but don't feel you need it.

-------

The World Health Organization says that "there does not appear to be any convincing evidence that water hardness causes

adverse health effects in humans". In fact, the National Research Council has found that hard water can actually serve as a dietary

supplement for calcium and magnesium

Myths
MYTH #1 - Water Softeners Are Safe For The Environment

Fact: Water Softeners Cause Considerable Damage to the Environment

According to Ann Heil, a Supervising Engineer of the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, automatic water softeners waste

water and put a salty brine into the waste stream. High salts in the waste stream can harm aquatic life and can damage crops
irrigated with downstream waters.

There are many simple solutions you can take to fix any mineral spotting - and none of them require a water softener. A teaspoon
of Sour Salt will handle mineral residue in the dishwasher. Rain-X or furniture wax will minimize water spots on shower doors.
Finally, a whole-house water filter, that retains healthy minerals, will work great for bathing, cooking, cleaning and drinking.

MYTH #2 - Hard Water Is Harsh, Fades Clothes and Dries Skin and Hair

Fact: Hard Water Does Not Fade Colors or Dry Skin and Hair Chlorine in tap water does the damage, just as chlorine bleach.

Water softeners do not remove chlorine or chlorine disinfection byproducts

MYTH #3 - Water Softeners Filter Water

Fact: Water Softeners Do Not Filter Water; please read carefully!

They Only Exchange Sodium for Minerals In other words, water softeners convert dirty, chlorinated tap water into dirty, chlorinated, salty water. There is still a need to use a secondary filter system to remove salt, sediment and chlorine to produce a palatable water for drinking and cooking - but only at the kitchen tap.
Dirty chlorinated, salty water still runs throughout the rest of the home.

MYTH #4 - Minerals In Water Are Contaminants

Fact: Hardness Minerals Are Not Contaminants, Minerals are Nutrients

Scientific findings supported by research at the World Health Organization (www.WHO.int) have shown that drinking water
rich with essential minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium, protects good health and leads to lower instances of heart disease and stroke.

MYTH #5 - Hard Water Clogs Pipes

Fact: Calcium and Magnesium Do Not Build Up and Clog Pipes

Between the mid 1940s and the late 1970s, most homes were built using steel (galvanized) pipes. Minerals, such as calcium
and magnesium, will stick to steel pipes. New and re-piped homes built after 1975 have pipes made of copper or cpvc (plastic).

Here the homes are built with CPVC.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY; Staten Island, NY; Monroe, NY; Maple Grove, MN; The Villages

I appreciate your insight and information. In 2010 we moved into a pre-owned home built in 1998 that came with a Kinetico water softening system. The main tank has had a constant leak and we were thinking of replacing the system, but may think twice after reading your post, especially since they are pretty expensive. Is it your suggestion that a filtration system (i.e. Nova) would be a better route and just remove the Kinetico system?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Well in a word yes, see this info

That filter leaves all the contaminants you see below

The Villages Florida
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM

I was approached by water filter companies in TV, before I even closed on my house. They want to charge upwards of $6000 to in stall and they have to maintain it.
My neighbors vet told him why his dogs were getting stones was because the water contained contaminants/dirt. I installed a whole house filter that I purchased from Home depot for $36.00 and connected where the supply line comes in at the garage. I was amazed at the how brown the filter turned in a short period of time, I change the filter every three months. I later installed a water softener combo chlorine removal from the Sears on 441, it was on sale for about $500 compared to Lowe's at $850. Water is very soft and no more chlorine smell from the facets. Sears will in stall for you. Total investment supplies and all $625.00. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz View Post
I was approached by water filter companies in TV, before I even closed on my house. They want to charge upwards of $6000 to in stall and they have to maintain it.
My neighbors vet told him why his dogs were getting stones was because the water contained contaminants/dirt. I installed a whole house filter that I purchased from Home depot for $36.00 and connected where the supply line comes in at the garage. I was amazed at the how brown the filter turned in a short period of time, I change the filter every three months. I later installed a water softener combo chlorine removal from the Sears on 441, it was on sale for about $500 compared to Lowe's at $850. Water is very soft and no more chlorine smell from the facets. Sears will in stall for you. Total investment supplies and all $625.00. Just a thought.
A $36 filter from HD is a toy, it is not in the same class as these triple filters.

You would really be amazed if you saw what a commercial filter such as the Nova filter with 3 4"x20" filter can remove from the water.

It's not the water softener doing all that you think, it's the carbon.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM

We have a GE pro elite whole house purification/softener system as well as an RO system under the kitchen sink. Could not be happier with both.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.