What's in the water?

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default What's in the water?

The main sources of municipal tap water are surface water and ground water – water from lakes, streams, rivers and deep wells. Almost all municipal water sources undergo a disinfection process using chlorine or chloramine (chlorine & ammonia) to kill bacteria and parasites.

Although the EPA regulates 91 water contaminants, there are many that still find their way into the tap water we use every day. Other contaminants commonly found in tap water include lead, copper, sulfate, nitrates, pesticides, herbicides, arsenic, industrial solvents and trihalomethanes, a chemical known to cause colon and bladder cancer in large concentrations.

Contrary to popular belief, municipal water treatment facilities were not designed to take out contaminants such as synthetic organic chemicals and toxic heavy metals like lead.

Understanding what is in your water and the importance of using healthy, chemical free water is the first step towards healthier living.

Whole House Nova Filters will provide healthy water throughout your home for drinking, cooking, bathing and showering.

No Drainage, No Electricity, No Backwashing, No Wastewater.

More info here

Install pics here

Myths about hard water

The World Health Organization says that "there does not

appear to be any convincing evidence that water hardness causes

adverse health effects in humans". In fact, the National Research

Council has found that hard water can actually serve as a dietary

supplement for calcium and magnesium

Myths
MYTH #1 - Water Softeners Are Safe For The Environment

Fact: Water Softeners Cause Considerable Damage to the Environment

According to Ann Heil, a Supervising Engineer of the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, automatic water softeners waste

water and put a salty brine into the waste stream. High salts in the waste stream can harm aquatic life and can damage crops
irrigated with downstream waters.

There are many simple solutions you can take to fix any mineral spotting - and none of them require a water softener. A teaspoon
of Sour Salt will handle mineral residue in the dishwasher. Rain-X or furniture wax will minimize water spots on shower doors.
Finally, a whole-house water filter, that retains healthy minerals, will work great for bathing, cooking, cleaning and drinking.

MYTH #2 - Hard Water Is Harsh, Fades Clothes and Dries Skin and Hair

Fact: Hard Water Does Not Fade Colors or Dry Skin and Hair Chlorine in tap water does the damage, just as chlorine bleach.

Water softeners do not remove chlorine or chlorine disinfection byproducts

MYTH #3 - Water Softeners Filter Water

Fact: Water Softeners Do Not Filter Water;

They Only Exchange Sodium for Minerals In other words, water softeners convert dirty, chlorinated tap
water into dirty, chlorinated, salty water. There is still a need to use a secondary filter system to remove salt,
sediment and chlorine to produce a palatable water for drinking and cooking - but only at the kitchen tap. Dirty chlorinated, salty water still
runs throughout the rest of the home.

MYTH #4 - Minerals In Water Are Contaminants

Fact: Hardness Minerals Are Not Contaminants, Minerals are Nutrients

Scientific findings supported by research at the World Health Organization (WHO | World Health Organization) have shown that drinking water
rich with essential minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium, protects good health and leads to lower instances of heart disease and stroke.

MYTH #5 - Hard Water Clogs Pipes

Fact: Calcium and Magnesium Do Not Build Up and Clog Pipes

Between the mid 1940s and the late 1970s, most homes were built using steel (galvanized) pipes. Minerals, such as calcium
and magnesium, will stick to steel pipes. New and re-piped homes built after 1975 have pipes made of copper or cpvc (plastic).

Here the homes are built with CPVC.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Default Nova Whole House Water Filter

For the Nova Whole House Water Filter:

1) Size of Blue Housing?

2) Max Flow Rate?

3) Max Pressure?

We closed on our house in January, and we'll move to TV full-time in April. We're looking for WHF to be installed as soon as we move in.

Thanks,
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 AM

I had the Nova whole house water filter installed about 6 weeks ago and I could not be happier! I use less soaps/detergents, the water tastes fresh and clean w/o any aftertaste that I had before adding the filtration system. The spotting in the shower is gone as on the fixtures. The installation was done professionally and having 2 pressure gauges, one before the filters (gives me the pressure coming into my home) and the other after the filters let's me know when it is time to replace the filter cartridges. I will change out the cartridges when there is approx a 7 to 10 pound drop in the readings. No guessing when to make the change which will allow me to get the full life out of the filters! One of the best decisions we made of all of the "after home purchase" items one can buy.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tialarre View Post
For the Nova Whole House Water Filter:
1) Size of Blue Housing? 4"X20" cartridge fits inside so a bit larger than that about 6"X24"

2) Max Flow Rate? max flow on a 3/4" pipe is 23gpm, but no home uses that much, about a rate of 6gpm is the most a home will use.
But the unit can handle more.

3) Max Pressure? The water towers here run about 70psi at the street is goes to about 60-65.

I had them in commercial apps at 110psi

You will have pressure gauges on the unit to monitor.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Great System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
1) Size of Blue Housing? 4"X20" cartridge fits inside so a bit larger than that about 6"X24"

2) Max Flow Rate? max flow on a 3/4" pipe is 23gpm, but no home uses that much, about a rate of 6gpm is the most a home will use.
But the unit can handle more.

3) Max Pressure? The water towers here run about 70psi at the street is goes to about 60-65.

I had them in commercial apps at 110psi

You will have pressure gauges on the unit to monitor.

A really great and reasonably priced system fitted by a true professional who knows their business!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

2012 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...2012_Final.pdf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.