Carbon filters explained

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb Carbon filters explained

I get many questions about the third stage in my system the carbon.

Less expensive filers use granular carbon, to tell what you have if you shake it or turn it end to end and you hear carbon moving around it's granular.

Meaning it's loose packed, the problem with these is water finds a path of least resistance in so doing it creates channels bypassing the carbon reducing its effectiveness. I see many installations of water softeners using this type also resulting in dirty soft water.

Carbonaceous substances are the raw materials used to make activated carbon, and the most common are:

Wood (hardwood and softwood)
Peat
Coal (lignite, sub-bituminous and bituminous)
Palm shell
Coconut shell.

My carbon filter is not granular it is solid bloc preventing bypass or channeling.

Importantly it is made from coconut shell, Coconut shell carbons are generally harder, more pure, more active (greater surface area) and have a microporous internal structure.

Coconut shell activated carbon has the greatest density, highest hardness, lowest ash and highest activity level in the activated carbon family tree.

Any questions or schedule an install PM or email me please.

More info

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage

I've encountered a problem with a neighbor's filter system that has granular carbon. Carbon particles get into the water supply and clog the valves in the toilet so it won't shut off. We have to take the valve apart, clean out the carbon particles, and re-assemble it to get the valve functioning properly. Unfortunately, we learned this after replacing toilet valves instead of cleaning them. The old valves were probably fine, just clogged.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.