15 year old girl talks to UN on climate issues

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Earth’s Changing Climate | The Great Courses

This could be a useful link.

There are many areas we could at least be doing something for future generations.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I am headed North tomorrow but I never rise before noon, so I must decline. By definition, we are from different generations. Some genius has declared that I was born ten months too early to be a boomer, so I was forced to become one of the youngest curmudgeons.

Aw, Rap, we are closer than you think. I am an elder-Boomer.

You really have raised curmudgeon-ing to an art form. Find a niche and fill it so they say. it works.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you, Bogie,

You have illustrated here how it is not only important to cite sources but to recognize the need to back source cited sources.

In other words -- who said what, when, and why did they say it?

As a nation we are awash in disinformation and propaganda.

I actually change the channel sometimes, just to see what is being said. But too many people are not willing to look at anything other than what taps into whatever it is they need to think, for whatever reason.
Yep.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
It is difficult and complicated to reverse the situation, but many don't even care to begin the process, and try to use disinformation to back their arguments. Our grandchildren and their children and grandchildren will one day be asking "what were they thinking?"
Yep.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
What happened to global cooling, acid rain, depletion of the ozone layer, global warming . . . ? Now we have global climate change blamed on CO2, which is a necessary gas for life on this planet, along with oxygen. Follow the money trail? Who would gain from selling carbon credits? How do we control solar flares, sun activity, which I am sure has a major effect on our weather? The computer models do not include the sun's effect on our planet. Hmmm.
"Follow the money trail"...is an excellent idea.

One has to also ask, who benefits the most by ignoring the recognition of any problems of spewing greenhouse gasses and continuing the course of...'business as usual?'
Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think I understand the real, and the political issues better than most. What are the ramifications for continuing to push the status quo, and who benefits? If you answer the question of who benefits, and you follow the money, you will know who also buys the politicians and the "oppo-research.
Yep.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
If we do not work toward the middle, we are doomed.

If we do not stop dehumanizing those who are not like us, we are doomed.

If we do not stop the unrestrained greed, we are doomed. (No. I am not what some of you want to call me. I just happen to think that unrestrained greed is bad economics. We have seen it before and we might be headed there again.)

If we do not stop falling for the old "Divide and Conquer" routine, we are doomed.

If we who have everything we need stop seeing the pain of others, we are doomed.

If we do not learn to see through manipulation, we are doomed.

If we never question anything, we are doomed.

If we do not stop excusing the inexcusable, we are doomed.

If we continue to abdicate our ability to think for ourselves and continue to let the screens in our homes tell us what to think, feel, and do, we are doomed.

If we do not notice that there is so much anger and it is being fanned constantly, we are doomed.

If we cannot see hypocrisy, we are doomed.

If we do not stop and look in the mirror and ask ourselves who we really are, we are doomed.

etc.
A huge...YEP!

- - - - - -

Quote:
Uh-oh. I think I just managed to close this thread.
Nope, it won't be due to just you.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Hopefully, salvation rests in the ability to recognize unbridled hyperbole.
I concur. And with every year we live, most of us anyway,gain a little more insight and knowledge.

Plus I recall your impressive history and background and achievements. I know that you, Mr. Scallion, have knowledge of many things.

You can recognize hyperbole and over sentimentality from at least 20 paces.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-15-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
A bit disingenuous as the magnitude of the problem is far from known. As I have stated previously, this is an area of ongoing research and is hardly settled science. The homogenization of certain observational datasets and the lack of fidelity in the treatments of certain physical processes in numerical models makes any conclusions suspect. Well respected scientists such as Lennart Bengtsson have expressed the opinion that we simply don't know the magnitude of anthropogenic warming nor the time scale. 40 years ago the concern was about global cooling. Full disclosure: undergraduate and graduate degrees in atmospheric science, researcher and numerical model developer for NASA and the National Weather Service.

Those are very valid qualifications to me and to most people. Tucillo. I thank you for the information that you have shared in the past. You are indeed a scientist.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I concur. And with every year we live, most of us anyway, we gain a little more insight and knowledge.

So to me that means that just being a little bit older grants us the ability to recognize bull excrement better. I think that is what you meant by hyperbole.

Plus I recall your impressive history and background. I know that you, Mr. Scallion, have knowledge of many things.
I presume that the "most of us" who "gain a little more insight and knowledge" pertains only to those who agree with you and Mr. Scallion. Oh well, neither of us will likely change anything or any minds, but at least I'm comfortable that my great-grandchildren will know what side of the issue I was on.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
I presume that the "most of us" who "gain a little more insight and knowledge" pertains only to those who agree with you and Mr. Scallion.

Oh well, neither of us will likely change anything or any minds, but at least I'm comfortable that my great-grandchildren will know what side of the issue I was on.
Exactly!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I presume that the "most of us" who "gain a little more insight and knowledge" pertains only to those who agree with you and Mr. Scallion. Oh well, neither of us will likely change anything or any minds, but at least I'm comfortable that my great-grandchildren will know what side of the issue I was on.
I believe that both sides are aware and concerned about global warming, but how to deal with it is the problem. I don't think being the major funder in the Paris meeting is doing something. I don't think that passing laws about drilling or pipe lines is doing something. As long as you gas your car, you prove that argument invalid. Industrialization is a major cause of greenhouse gases. Texas has windmills just like Germany and so does Massachusetts. So far scientists are incapable of changing the world to alternate power. Moving your arms and legs and worrying about plastic straws all day and night are not going to stop global warming or save the oceans. The trouble is that not one valid solution has been offered in any of these posts to stop global warming. Talk is cheap.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Bibliography: Discovery of Global Warming

Lots of information on global warming is out there. I hope that our younger generations take it upon themselves to really get out there and do something about these problems vexing us like global warming.

The Discovery of Global Warming - A History

Basic information and links
Old 12-15-2018, 11:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses | NASA

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I find it amazing and perplexing how many people who, because of the initial following their name, follow the line without thought. If you own a petroleum or coal company, or a pipeline, or anything else that supports fossil fuels, I understand your position. I can think of no rational reason, other than that, which would cause you to think that cleaning the environment was anything other than vital. I'm sure this post and probably this thread, won't last long unfortunately.

But till it does, I support you. And I decry those who kick the can down the road, for whatever reason.

Tags
issues, future, bright, climate, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.