In case you were wondering ...

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default In case you were wondering ...

It appears the dewpoint rose into the low 80's today. That is pretty high for us. That amount of moisture in the atmosphere often leads to thunderstorms if some lifting can be provided. The discomfort level doesn't get much worse than what you experienced today. However, the rain is a good thing.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM
fw102807

Pretty crazy weather everywhere
Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Thanks for that info. It has been a crazy first half of the year for weather. Hope the 2nd half doesn't bring extreme hurricanes.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

I still don’t understand dew point. Are you able to explain to a greater extent than the higher it is, the more uncomfortable one is?why is it called “dew point”?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I still don’t understand dew point. Are you able to explain to a greater extent than the higher it is, the more uncomfortable one is?why is it called “dew point”?
Thank you. I wonder too. Also percent humidity. It can't be 80% WATER as the amount of Water in the air. We don't have gills. It does seem to make it harder to breathe when walking for exercise.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Dewpoint is a measure of the actual amount of water that has been evaporated into the air. The dewpoint is the actual temperature the air would have to be cooled to in order for condensation to take place. The higher the dewpoint, the more moisture in the air. When the actual temperature is equal to the dewpoint the relative humidity is 100%. It is a better measure of discomfort than relative humidity, which has a temperature dependence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Relative humidity is the ratio of the amount of water that is evaporated into the air and the maximum amount of water that could be evaporated into the air. There is a strong temperature dependency which is why it is not a particularly useful metric. For example, when it is 95 degrees outside it is unusual for the relative humidity to be over about 50% and this would be very uncomfortable weather. However, is is not unusual to see 70 degrees with 95% relative humidity and this is not uncomfortable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you. I wonder too. Also percent humidity. It can't be 80% WATER as the amount of Water in the air. We don't have gills. It does seem to make it harder to breathe when walking for exercise.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Tucc is my hero.

Glad he is talking about dew-points (dew-ilson58) and not hurricanes.

Thanks for all your information during our times of need.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Tuccillo, as a newbie to Florida and the wild weather of the last two seasons being fresh in our minds we appreciate you sharing the knowledge you have with us. We prefer the way you deliver facts instead of trying for higher ratings like some on local television. We hope you don’t have to report anything this year. Thanks Again.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Tuccillo, as a newbie to Florida and the wild weather of the last two seasons being fresh in our minds we appreciate you sharing the knowledge you have with us. We prefer the way you deliver facts instead of trying for higher ratings like some on local television. We hope you don’t have to report anything this year. Thanks Again.
Yes, this information was invaluable in the last hurricane but I also hope we don't need this service this year.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Tuccillo, you seem to be the designated “go to” person for weather-related information, and I feel sure we all appreciate your knowledge. Thanks!

Tags
today, provided, discomfort, level, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.