Florida Winds

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Default Florida Winds

Can somebody with knowledge about wind explain how this happens?

All day today, radar showed weather cells passing across Florida from west to east. Maybe west / southwest to east / northeast. But the National Weather Service report said, and it was obvious when I was riding my bicycle, that on the ground the wind was raging out of the north / northeast. How can the ground level wind direction be so different from the winds aloft?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Can somebody with knowledge about wind explain how this happens?

All day today, radar showed weather cells passing across Florida from west to east. Maybe west / southwest to east / northeast. But the National Weather Service report said, and it was obvious when I was riding my bicycle, that on the ground the wind was raging out of the north / northeast. How can the ground level wind direction be so different from the winds aloft?
A front is a merely collection of like weather moving together in one direction. The front as a whole was moving in a direction from west to east. It will always move from west to east because they are guided by the jet streams, which themselves are guided by the earth's rotation. This front was a low pressure area, winds in low pressure blow counter-clockwise. Just like a hurricane when they say the worse side is the right front side as it moves ashore.

We are now in high pressure, current pressure is 30.20 at 9:30pm, normal is 29.92, a high is always clear, cool and windy, which is what we have. We should also switch to clockwise wind since the front has passed and we are now north of the front.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

...maybe the bike rider just ahead of you broke wind.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Differences in wind direction in the vertical, like you described, are common around the world. In fact, this happens nearly everyday, to varying degrees, depending on the current weather pattern. As an observer, you will never see it, unless there are clouds at different levels in the atmosphere. The technical term for this phenomena is call vertical wind shear. During stormy & thunderstorm conditions, strong vertical wind shear is necessary to produce tornadoes -- it provides atmospheric twist -- thus twisters. During conditions of partly cloudy, fair weather, it can be absolutely fascinating just to watch how clouds at different levels will move in different directions ... sometimes in 3 different directions depending on the vertical structure of the atmosphere at that time. The most dramatic visual example of vertical wind shear is to watch a satellite loop of a major hurricane ...where the low level winds (and cumulus/storm clouds) all flow into the center of the storm (in an anti-clockwise rotation) as high level winds (and cirrus clouds) all flow away from the hurricane (in a clockwise rotation).
Old 05-04-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,688 Times in 3,601 Posts

All the wind (& weather) information you will ever need:

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:38 AM

Thanks for your explanation.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I find wind down here rather pleasant compared to Midwest. Occasionally it will blow up, but most time it’s mild.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I find wind down here rather pleasant compared to Midwest. Occasionally it will blow up, but most time it’s mild.

...wait until June 1<>Nov 30. Hurricane season.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
...wait until June 1<>Nov 30. Hurricane season.
Cant wait
Closed Thread

Tags
wind, florida, east, west, ground

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.