Hot

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Here's the thing. The temps and humidity in central Florida are consistently high throughout the late spring to early fall period. However, they are not quite as high as in several other places in the U.S. On numerous occasions. The temps, and humidity may be somewhat higher on a constant basis in TV and environs, but not as high as the extremes in other places such as here in Missouri. It is not unusual for us in the KC area to get a week or two above 100 degrees, while those highs seldom occur in TV. Plus, our humidity is just as high as there. So I believe the fear of unliveable conditions in TV in the summer are highly overstated. I will test my theory in August this summer and I hope to give you a balanced report at that time. Ed
I beg to differ with your stating that the conditions are highly overstated.

We lived in Melbourne FL three times, and trust me, it was totally uninhabitable for six months. It was so unbearable that I had to wait until 5:00 am to walk our dog and to the mail kiosk.

Testing it in August is not enough...test it from April 1st to Nov 1st, and you will see how long you can bear it.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Half Moon Bay in California is perfect. Louisiana and Florida are worst. Klamath Falls in Oregon is bad - too cold in winter with heavy wet snow and too hot in summers which are so short that planting annuals is futile.

If I could pick just one place to live in, it would have NC springs, VT falls, CA (northern coastal) summers, and FL winters - all combined into one place.
My first visit to Half-moon Bay in late September of 96...had me hooked.

Coming in from 280, with a cool fog in the air and passing all of the farms with the plethora of displays of pumpkins...was truly magical.

Back then there was only one 18 hole course and while the front nine looked a lot like Orange Blossom here, the 'new' (at that time) back nine along the ocean...was awesome.

The last visit we stayed at the R-C for few nights and played all 36...and it just doesn't get much better than that.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
My first visit to Half-moon Bay in late September of 96...had me hooked.

Coming in from 280, with a cool fog in the air and passing all of the farms with the plethora of displays of pumpkins...was truly magical.

Back then there was only one 18 hole course and while the front nine looked a lot like Orange Blossom here, the 'new' (at that time) back nine along the ocean...was awesome.

The last visit we stayed at the R-C for few nights and played all 36...and it just doesn't get much better than that.
Correct about the awesome last nine holes. We lived on the golf course. Before and after hours we were permitted to walk our dogs on the course. If it were not so expensive now, we would move back in a heartbeat.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Correct about the awesome last nine holes. We lived on the golf course. Before and after hours we were permitted to walk our dogs on the course. If it were not so expensive now, we would move back in a heartbeat.
I can't even imagine how much the housing prices jumped, even the old front 9 homes...after the R-C was built.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

I see it will be 90 degrees and rain in TV today (100% RH). Ever notice when the afternoon rains come in Florida at this time of year it feels hotter after it stops - like a sauna. Enjoy only 5 months left of utopia.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO the angle of the sun lot more unbearable. I swear my neck feels like it's on fire. Like today 93 and feels like torch. Plus, by at 9am it's hot. Last night my porch temp was 79 at midnight. If this aug. was like the last two you will get good comparison.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been in the backyard the last couple of hours working. My lanai thermometer in the shade right now is 98 degrees, that's on the SW side of the house in a CYV.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Sage

Bring on the heat, I love hot. Why ? Cause I don’t have to work in it anymore. Nor do I have to work when it’s 9 degrees, or the rain when it’s 35 degrees. I suppose those who complain the most had desk jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The temperature today was a bit above typical - mid 90s. The dew point is typical for the summer - mid 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I see it will be 90 degrees and rain in TV today (100% RH). Ever notice when the afternoon rains come in Florida at this time of year it feels hotter after it stops - like a sauna. Enjoy only 5 months left of utopia.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Attachment 75210

State Average Summer Temperatures :

Tied 1st and 2nd place for the hottest states are Texas and Louisiana. Third hottest state is Florida.
Yes we lived in LA and FL (three times) and yes it was very very hot in those states.

It also gets hot and humid up here in MN.

The difference is that it is hot and humid from April to October in FL which was too long for us so we gave up living in FL. Winters up here are too long too. Sigh.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

The hottest feeling I have ever experienced was in Needles, CA, 110 at midnight!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The hottest feeling I have ever experienced was in Needles, CA, 110 at midnight!
I'm sure 'Golden Showers' (Shores)...wasn't any cooler.

Needles also has the dubious 'honor' of often having...the highest gasoline prices in the Lower 48.

While it IS ways going west on I-40 before you see more than just a lone gas station, about 15 miles east on I-40 at the cutoff to Lake Havasu...are two truck stops with gas that is at least $1.00-$1.50 a gallon less (at least a few years ago).

America’s most expensive gasoline

Quote:
As far as Mayor Jeff Williams is concerned, the town of Needles is often famous for the nation's most expensive gas...the entirely wrong reason.

Weve been on the national news too many times as the town with the highest gas prices in the United States, Williams said with a grimace in his city hall office. Its an embarrassment.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO the angle of the sun lot more unbearable. I swear my neck feels like it's on fire. Like today 93 and feels like torch. Plus, by at 9am it's hot. Last night my porch temp was 79 at midnight. If this aug. was like the last two you will get good comparison.

Bingo, Topspinmo!

Sun heats by radiation (rays). Closer to the equator, the closer to the sun and stronger the "rays".

It feels hotter in FL (and our most southern states), not because of air temp, but due to the radiation from the sun striking our body. Move into the shade and you feel immediate difference. Thats way the cows are under trees in the afternoon.

RH does play a part but only when it's too high to effectively evaporate our sweat. High RH can and does happens in all our states. Very low RH evaporates sweat faster and makes us feel "cooler".

I try to keep my radiation sensor covered during mid-summer.

I did stay in a Holiday Inn recently......

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM
Sage

When it comes to heat I used to defend living here vs living in NC, my in-laws retirement choice. Then I looked at the big picture.
I now agree with them.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 AM

Growing up in Central Florida, I can tell you that the secret to the heat is - get used to it! My high school did not have air in most of the buildings, they opened the windows. For many years we used paddle fans and open windows until July 4th, then put the air on because of the noise and left it on till fall. The air stayed on 80. Living in air-conditioning set at 72, and then going out into 95-degree weather isn't even good for you, and the contrast makes it seem even hotter! Yes, it's smart to stay indoors in the middle of the day, but mainly to avoid the radiation. I like it hot, and the humidity is good for my hair and skin. Who needs a sauna when you can sit in traffic?
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, summer, smithville, missouri, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.