Hot, hot, hot!

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Excuse me for trying to bring some additional insight into the discussion and pointing out what metric people should look at. Is there no limit to what people will complain about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Who cares about index, etc. etc.? When it is hot, it is hot. When it is humid, it is humid. When it is hot and humid, it is hot and humid, and analyzing it all won't help make it cooler.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
If The Villages were in North Dakota, would you have moved there?
No that was just a bonus
Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Just looking over the responses to this thread, it doesn't look like many villagers mind the heat. In fact, I would say their comments reflect mostly a happiness to be in TV no matter the time of year. Not sure what you see as dishonest?

If the heat bothers you so much, maybe some reverse psychology would work here. While they laugh at you in January, you can just laugh at them in July......that way everybody's happy!
It is not just the heat but the deceit of those who claim it is not hot during the summers. I lived in FL 3 times so I know they are lying. I feel sorry for those who allow themselves to be duped into thinking Florida (not just the Villages) is a paradise where everyone is happy fishing, golfing, running, being outdoors all day every single day of the year.

However, I do notice that some of you here on this thread and a few other threads are honest by admitting it is hot. I appreciate this because it then means that I can trust those people.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage

My Grandmother, a wise and Godly woman, would have gently said, “You’ns oughten to talk so ugly.”
Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have lived in Fargo, ND (loved it), St Paul (loved it) Kansas City (loved it), Springfield, Mo. (Loved it), Topeka, Ks (loved it) and a few other places I loved. I have a villa in TV ( love it). Methinks that being happy is an attitude rather than a location.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have lived in Fargo, ND (loved it), St Paul (loved it) Kansas City (loved it), Springfield, Mo. (Loved it), Topeka, Ks (loved it) and a few other places I loved. I have a villa in TV ( love it). Methinks that being happy is an attitude rather than a location.
Nope, I was absolutely miserable all winter up north and now I am happy as a clam all year round.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.
Thanks, tucillo, I know you know of what you speak. In saying that I appreciate the explanation. Now I understand why on the Philly news today they were talking so much about the dew point. It was 75 here today and they were stressing that is why it felt so terrible outside. The temps were in the mid 90's with a heat index of 104. At least it's making me feel better about visiting TV in July! We had such an unusually beautiful spring here temperature-wise that I was feeling hesitant to leave, but I think this was just the push I needed.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Sage

The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 04:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.
Thank you for the information on dewpoint. Chicago has had a pretty hot and humid summer so far, and the weather forecasters on the Chicago television stations usually focus on the dewpoint to illustrate how muggy or comfortable the weather will be in the summer.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
The Villages Florida

If I never saw another snow plow, snow shovel, snow brush, ice scraper or bag of ice melter, it would be 100% fine with me.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
The Villages Florida

What are you trying to do? Make me have NOTHING but nightmares in July?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:11 AM
fw102807

Not to worry yet

Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week
Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Sage

Very interesting article, thanks!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

I see on the national weather it is still over 100 degree heat index. Is this normal for end of Sept? I'm thinking of delaying our return this year by a month. Into sweater weather here in the Adirondacks now.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Nope, I was absolutely miserable all winter up north and now I am happy as a clam all year round.
Pretty much says it all in one sentence!!!

I try not to go anyplace in the winter that does not have palm trees!!
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, nyc, hotter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.