Hot, hot, hot!

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I moved to Florida because that is were The Villages is located.

Another brilliant reason
Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I moved to Florida because that is were The Villages is located.

I agree. This would work in any snow free state.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I agree. This would work in any snow free state.

May I add snow free & State Income tax free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Why won't Floridians share honest comments with Northerners in July but laugh at them in January?
Just looking over the responses to this thread, it doesn't look like many villagers mind the heat. In fact, I would say their comments reflect mostly a happiness to be in TV no matter the time of year. Not sure what you see as dishonest?

If the heat bothers you so much, maybe some reverse psychology would work here. While they laugh at you in January, you can just laugh at them in July......that way everybody's happy!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Just looking over the responses to this thread, it doesn't look like many villagers mind the heat. In fact, I would say their comments reflect mostly a happiness to be in TV no matter the time of year. Not sure what you see as dishonest?

If the heat bothers you so much, maybe some reverse psychology would work here. While they laugh at you in January, you can just laugh at them in July......that way everybody's happy!

They can laugh all they want, I love heat. No one likes snow, ice, freezing rain and if you do you also remember your first nose rub.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
They can laugh all they want, I love heat. No one likes snow, ice, freezing rain and if you do you also remember your first nose rub.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Snow and Shrinkage. No-Goodski!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Snow and Shrinkage. No-Goodski!

Aren’t the Irish pre-shrunk ?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

A few years back, my husband and I purposefully spent the full month of August in TV. We wanted to see what it was like and to determine for ourselves whether it would be tolerable or not. Maybe we hit a good year, I don't know, but we found it tolerable and many days even comfortable. If we were outside during the middle of the day, we either stayed in shaded areas or under patios/lanais with fans. The evenings cooled down some and there always seemed to be a breeze. It felt to me as if between the sandy soil and very hot sun, it actually burned off the humidity somewhat. Does that make sense? Not so here in the mid-Atlantic at all. When it's hot it is stifling and although the temp may go down in the evening it still feels like a steam bath when you walk outside. And it can last for days, sometimes weeks at a time. The humidity and resultant heat index is so high it truly is intolerable. I attribute it here to the very damp soil (a lot of clay) and the overwhelming number of deciduous trees, not to mention the congestion and other things already mentioned by others on this thread. Unless we have a very dry summer up here, it always feels somewhat damp. Mix that with heat and that's what I call uncomfortable.

And let's not even discuss utility bills. The size of my house up north is not triple the size of my house in Florida but the utility bills sure are! Not happy about that at all!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
A few years back, my husband and I purposefully spent the full month of August in TV. We wanted to see what it was like and to determine for ourselves whether it would be tolerable or not. Maybe we hit a good year, I don't know, but we found it tolerable and many days even comfortable. If we were outside during the middle of the day, we either stayed in shaded areas or under patios/lanais with fans. The evenings cooled down some and there always seemed to be a breeze. It felt to me as if between the sandy soil and very hot sun, it actually burned off the humidity somewhat. Does that make sense? Not so here in the mid-Atlantic at all. When it's hot it is stifling and although the temp may go down in the evening it still feels like a steam bath when you walk outside. And it can last for days, sometimes weeks at a time. The humidity and resultant heat index is so high it truly is intolerable. I attribute it here to the very damp soil (a lot of clay) and the overwhelming number of deciduous trees, not to mention the congestion and other things already mentioned by others on this thread. Unless we have a very dry summer up here, it always feels somewhat damp. Mix that with heat and that's what I call uncomfortable.

And let's not even discuss utility bills. The size of my house up north is not triple the size of my house in Florida but the utility bills sure are! Not happy about that at all!

As temperature increases, relative humidity decreases.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.

Quote:

Old 07-03-2018, 03:37 PM
fw102807

It is hot, you either like it or you don't. I love it here but have friends who would be miserable because for some very strange reason I will never understand they like the cold.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.
Who cares about index, etc. etc.? When it is hot, it is hot. When it is humid, it is humid. When it is hot and humid, it is hot and humid, and analyzing it all won't help make it cooler.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Another brilliant reason
If The Villages were in North Dakota, would you have moved there?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
If The Villages were in North Dakota, would you have moved there?
Not a chance that I would have moved to ND. I love FL it is sunny year round. When it is hot I go into my pool and read.
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, nyc, hotter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.