Hurricane ?? Pay attention

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
New to the villages, how often does a hurricane or strong tropical storm come this way?
We're in a good spot. Pensacola gets one about every 5 years, and they're usually head on. They had 3 bad ones since 1995. St. Petersburg where I grew up, gets one about every 5 years, but they either glancing along the coast or cutting inland across the state. We might get the one the crosses over the state, but since were 50 miles or more from either coast, just like Irma when it came through here two years, the winds will diminish somewhat after they make landfall. Places like Naples, Fort Myers on the Gulf side and Miami, Palm Beach on the Atlantic are more vulnerable. It seems like Savannah and North Carolina gets more than most, the Outer Banks.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We're in a good spot. Pensacola gets one about every 5 years, and they're usually head on. They had 3 bad ones since 1995. St. Petersburg where I grew up, gets one about every 5 years, but they either glancing along the coast or cutting inland across the state. We might get the one the crosses over the state, but since were 50 miles or more from either coast, just like Irma when it came through here two years, the winds will diminish somewhat after they make landfall. Places like Naples, Fort Myers on the Gulf side and Miami, Palm Beach on the Atlantic are more vulnerable. It seems like Savannah and North Carolina gets more than most, the Outer Banks.
Thanks for the info
Old 06-05-2020, 03:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
New to the villages, how often does a hurricane or strong tropical storm come this way?
Have been here since 2010, only two times did I take my furniture in from the lanai...
There is always a prediction. But why worry about something you have no control over. Get the hurricane list, for supplies.
TV does an excellent job of moving water from rain run off, by sending water to golf courses. Our pond was up 10 feet, but never came close to any homes.
We have never lost power during any storm. Knock on wood
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Stock up on TP, oh wait ...
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM

Make sure to get a little cash too. ATM’s and store’s credit ability goes down with the electricity. Lessons learned from 11 years in the panhandle.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:30 AM

Almost never
Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,855 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Based on what I’ve read about hurricane damage in the past forty years in the tri-county area and quite a bit beyond, nearly all the houses destroyed are mobile homes, and nearly everyone killed while in a dwelling was in a mobile home. The concrete houses at The Villages are extra safe. However, there could still be power outages or shortages of things people buy before storms, and gasoline for cars and generators.

Hurricane Irma dropped a LOT of rain on The Villages. There’s a YouTube video in which a drone flies around the next day showing the results. I saw no houses with water in them at all, except a huge house not far from the polo fields where I think a Morse family member lives. There were a few golf course cart paths under water here and there. The places with no houses were covered with water. The water control system in The Villages is very well designed and pretty amazing.

Last edited by MandoMan; 06-05-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Gold member

We have plenty of bottled water stocked but wonder if it's really necessary.
When losing power for a week after Irma tap water was always available.
Even during the 2004 hurricanes water supply was never affected due to backup generators supplying water.
Sure it might not taste the best but we were always able to flush toilets and turn on the tap.
When was the last time a hurricane shut down water supply?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Default Hurricanes

Been living in Cen. Fla. 50+ yrs. Never been in a hurricane. I DID outrun one while on vacation, going north out of St.Pete around 1967 - and one cleaned out a lot of trees in south Orlando about 12 yrs. ago. I think there are millions of brand new generators sitting in the garages of people who worry. Most will never be used. How likely is it that you may hit the jackpot in Vegas?............
Old 06-05-2020, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Worry is something I NEVER do.. For me, there is nothing to ever worry about.
Preparedness, is something I always do.
Gas tank is full. Food is adequate. Medications are well stocked. Batteries for the radio (am/fm/sw) and flashlight available. Bottled water available.
Good books to read. Music to listen to.
Plenty of ammunition.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 AM

stop .. no why is this storm coming to florida .. just rainy .. go on and live your weekend..
Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Default enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasun View Post
Christobal is getting stronger and direction changed
Pay attention
Do not get distracted
How about we have had more than our share of disturbing news in the past 4 months and are not interested in hearing more frightening news. I've taken to watching comedy on tv just for relief.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Well my mission tomorrow ( Friday 06/05/20 is really simple. )

1) Stock up on beer. Various types ( Neighbors )

2) Wine a must.

3) 24 16 oz. bottles of water

4) Bathroom products

5) Umbrella

6) Propane

7) Peanuts, Popcorn, Potato Chips

8) Yeast I rarely use it, however it was scarce so I want to be " Neighborly " . Preppers wiped it out. It's now in stock.

9) Rubbing Alcohol again for my neighbors.

10) Ready made mash potatoes. Crazy but true hard to find during the crazy lockdown.

Here we go again.

10.5) Oops, Pasta again the Preppers wiped it out. Medium Shells very popular for some reason . 3 Boxes again being a good neighbor.
Don't know if an umbrella will work with the excessive winds in a hurricane, or tropical storm for that matter.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I lived in St. Pete for 20 years, most of it on Coquina Key. There is some mystical quality about Tampa Bay which, although it looks great for a catastrophic hurricane to do big damage, somehow just deflects the storms damaging forces away
Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM

It is hurricane season so it's always good to be prepared. When Irma blew thru in September 2017, there was no power in many areas of Lady Lake.
No power means no stores, gas stations, pharmacy, banks, atms, open,no place to buy ice, no AC in your home, etc.
Most places up here do not have back up generators.
My outage lasted over 10 days.
My yard guy brought 3 helpers to clean up all the broken branches. I asked who had electricity. Only 1 out of 4 did. I gave him and the others everything in my freezer that was defrosting rather that than throwing it out and going to waste.
I moved here from St. Thomas, VI.
I've been thru numerous hurricanes including CAT 5's. 1st time without a generator in decades when I moved here.
Rectified that before 2018 Hurricane Season with a whole house propane generator with auto transfer system.
I'll be happy if I never have to use it but I'm glad to have it.

Best to prep in advance and not deal with frustration of long lines.
Don't forget food and meds for your pets, insurance and other important paperwork.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.