Lightning

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2021, 02:11 PM
Default Lightning

Welcome to the Lightning Capital of the US! Our area experiences over 100 days a year with lightning. In 2020 we had 117 days with lightning. The term “whole house surge protection” is misleading. There is no single product on the market to protect all appliances and sensitive electronic equipment from an INDIRECT lightning strike. As others have mentioned on this thread each year a few homeowners experience damage in the thousands of dollars to their electronics. Therefore, it is worth considering Primary Surge Protection on your meter by your electric utility or on your electric panel by a licensed electrical AND you need Secondary Surge Protection (point-of-use) for electronics like computers, TVs, garage door openers, etc. If your concern is a DIRECT lightning strike that can cause significant damage to the structure then consider installing a lightning protection system, commonly called lightning rods, by a firm listed by UL and a Master Installer as designated by the Lightning Protection Institute. For more information on lightning safety, you may to wish to attend The Weather Club in The Villages March 18, 2021, meeting,1:30 PM, at the Bridgeport Recreation Center to learn more. You can sign up at info@theweatherclubvillages.com.
In reponse to a post on February 12, 2021, seeking help on SECO surge protection
Old 02-13-2021, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our prized Palm Tree got blasted by Lightning about 6 months ago. I had just gotten out of the shower when it happened. It sounded like it hit something in the back of the house but alas it got our Palm. The Shrapnel and Collateral Damage was significant and I'll never forget the smell of a burning Palm Tree and the noise. It also wiped out the stove.

Thankfully no one was injured but I have an entirely new respect for living in the Lightning Capital Of Da World. I'm a pretty big target.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,002 Times in 2,199 Posts

Twice I have been outside and within 100 to 500 feet of a lightning strike. The first time in a wooded area, lightning struck a pine tree about 100 feet away. There were about 2 or 3 dozen of us (teenagers) in the group. We saw it, heard it, felt it at the same instant. The bolt went through the center of the tree, all that was left was a stump (I think it was 75 feet or more) the trunk exploded and there was not a piece of wood longer than 6 or 7 feet. Very impressive, fortunately no one was hurt from the strike or the flying debris.
The second time I was a work (a power plant), standing in about 8 inches of rain water walking from the 230,000 volt switchyard back to the plant when lighting struck the building and I saw the bolt go down the side of the building into the ground (remember I am standing is 8 inches of water....) I ran for cover....
Lightning is very impressive.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Twice I have been outside and within 100 to 500 feet of a lightning strike. The first time in a wooded area, lightning struck a pine tree about 100 feet away. There were about 2 or 3 dozen of us (teenagers) in the group. We saw it, heard it, felt it at the same instant. The bolt went through the center of the tree, all that was left was a stump (I think it was 75 feet or more) the trunk exploded and there was not a piece of wood longer than 6 or 7 feet. Very impressive, fortunately no one was hurt from the strike or the flying debris.
The second time I was a work (a power plant), standing in about 8 inches of rain water walking from the 230,000 volt switchyard back to the plant when lighting struck the building and I saw the bolt go down the side of the building into the ground (remember I am standing is 8 inches of water....) I ran for cover....
WHOA!!!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 895 Posts

At least you still have 7 lives left!

The tree story is impressive. . .

Quote:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Lightning is without a doubt my least favorite thing about living in the Villages. Totally conflicts with my two favorite activities. I love to swim laps, and water is an excellent conductor of electricity. I also love to golf, and being outside in an open area carrying around a golf club (lightning rod) is not a particularly good idea. Oh well, if I get killed doing one of my favorite activities then at least I will go quickly doing something I love : )
Old 02-14-2021, 05:48 AM
Default LIghtning

Quote:
The family and I were swimming in Weeki Wacchi Springs many years ago when we were told to get out of the water because lightning was seen. It started raining and I ran for cover under an awning. Lightning must have struck the sidewalks someplace and the rebar conducted the strike to where I was standing on the wet concrete. I felt the jolt go through my body from my feet up through my head. It scared the be-jesus out of me!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

And what I can’t understand is the people that continue to play golf or hit balls at Sarasota when lightning is dancing all around 🙄🙄.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
And what I can’t understand is the people that continue to play golf or hit balls at Sarasota when lightning is dancing all around 🙄🙄.
Some people just think they are above everything! My husband is one of them because his ‘friends’ tell him that lightning is not a concern!! He says the same thing about ‘if I die, at least I’m doing something I love. To me that means he’s miserable with the rest of his life!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Default Lightening

I definitely have a new respect for lightening. I use to love sitting on my porch in NY watching it light up the sky. Not here. This past August I took my 2 dogs out to my backyard. Storms were predicted and my one pup has developed a fear of thunder since moving here almost 4yrs ago. So before the storm got close I took them out to do their business. All of a sudden he started pulling myself and my other pup toward the lanai door. He was adamant about going inside. Mind you the area was not in an active storm. We all got into the house and not 60 seconds later there was an extremely loud crack of thunder, one like I never heard before; and it was right outside my house. What was so frightening, it was where we had just been not a minute before. I realized my house had been struck by lightening. I started investigating and found lots of damage. 2 TVs with their cable boxes, all electric in garage, the AC was not working along with the sprinkler system. I could go on and on.listing the damage. This was with a surge protector on my circuit breaker box and one on a TV, which obviously didn't work. Everything was eventually repaired or replaced. I had a protector put on the meter box. Things can be fixed or replaced, lives can't. Thanks to my wonderful pup pulling us in, the 3 of us were alive. Now we don't go outside, even if the storm seems to be in the distance. It can change its proximity to anyone in an instant. As I said a new respect maybe even a little fear.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 AM

What village are you located
Old 02-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

Many years ago, a sportscaster asked Lee Trevino why he carried a 1 Iron in his bag. His response?: Because not even God can hit a 1 Iron!
Old 02-14-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

....and yet the other morning around 8AM during a thunderstorm, I watch several groups of golfers continue to play on Yankee Clipper while it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning. One was actually walking with an umbrella over his head and another over his pull cart. Seriously! How do these people tie their shoes? They wear slip-ons.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Default Lightning & Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Many years ago, a sportscaster asked Lee Trevino why he carried a 1 Iron in his bag. His response?: Because not even God can hit a 1 Iron!
Lee Trevino was struck while playing in the Western Open in Oak Brook, IL. injuring his spine. He had corrective surgery but back pain hindered his golf game.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:29 AM

New to TV this month. Does homeowner insurance typically cover damage to the house or appliances from lightening strikes?
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, protection, surge, electronics, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.