Mid-April storm coming

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Gold member

At least their prediction was right....it rained.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I put on my pair of red sparkling shoes, grabbed our dog Toto and watched out the window. It was gone in a couple of hours.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage

Now I know where all of Chicken Little's family settled.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Now I know where all of Chicken Little's family settled.
You know something, I have to agree with you. The first two years we would be freaking out. I bought a Weather Radio and put about 6 different weather notifications on my phone. Between all of them and watching TV we were frazzled.

Talk to Florida People who are Natives. They prepare but don't worry.

There was a comment the other day about everyone in Manufactured Homes to seek shelter immediately. Figure 4000 +/- Homes in the Historic Section, Water Oaks, Rolling Acres RV. Where are the places to take all those people and others that I don't know about and did not include in that list?

I've been self-promoted from Chicken Little/Baby Huey to almost a full-fledged Floridan, maybe another couple of years. All you have to do is be prepared.

I'm lacking with the generator because of being not lazy but not really motivated. We are ready in every other way. Even Flood Insurance.

thank's for your post, I feel better now.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
You know something, I have to agree with you. The first two years we would be freaking out. I bought a Weather Radio and put about 6 different weather notifications on my phone. Between all of them and watching TV we were frazzled.

Talk to Florida People who are Natives. They prepare but don't worry.

There was a comment the other day about everyone in Manufactured Homes to seek shelter immediately. Figure 4000 +/- Homes in the Historic Section, Water Oaks, Rolling Acres RV. Where are the places to take all those people and others that I don't know about and did not include in that list?

I've been self-promoted from Chicken Little/Baby Huey to almost a full-fledged Floridan, maybe another couple of years. All you have to do is be prepared.

I'm lacking with the generator because of being not lazy but not really motivated. We are ready in every other way. Even Flood Insurance.

thank's for your post, I feel better now.
Most of those 4000 manufactured homes were built prior to 1995 and guess what - they are still standing. Can't imagine the percentage of homes in Florida that are manufactured homes - still standing. If you want to know the real difference between site built and manufactured homes ? A large percentage of manufactured homes are second homes and people are not here in the hurricane season. Out of sight out of mind. Given the chance even with a site built home I would still head to a fire house if it were me. They are equipped with generators and provisions for emergencies. When the tornado hit TV was it not the site built homes and country clubs that suffered the damage ? Not one manufactured home in TV was totaled that I know of. The sky is falling - THE SKY IS FALLING.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Most of those 4000 manufactured homes were built prior to 1995 and guess what - they are still standing. Can't imagine the percentage of homes in Florida that are manufactured homes - still standing. If you want to know the real difference between site built and manufactured homes ? A large percentage of manufactured homes are second homes and people are not here in the hurricane season. Out of sight out of mind. Given the chance even with a site built home I would still head to a fire house if it were me. They are equipped with generators and provisions for emergencies. When the tornado hit TV was it not the site built homes and country clubs that suffered the damage ? Not one manufactured home in TV was totaled that I know of. The sky is falling - THE SKY IS FALLING.
BINGO! I am not suggesting that anyone stay in their Manufactured Home during a Whopper Storm of any kind. Imagine the little gang that we hang with. During Irma, only one other couple bailed out. So 14 outta 18 stayed. They called me unkind names but since I'm a Flamethrower I graciously accepted the payback that I guess I deserve. It was rough with no power but if it wasn't for that I guess we dodged a bullet.

Remember GE a beloved Poster on TOTV'S for many moons and a pretty smart dude? I asked what was he going to do? He said I'm in the same boat as you Nucky I'm relatively new and having a rough time deciding. He invited me to come down and wipe out everything we could grill at his house. By that time we were several hours into the center of Georgia in a friend's Moms home where we thought we were living in a Movie Stars house, spectacular. Southern charm and very calming people.

We will make the call going forward based on Tuccillo's Forecasting if he's still into it because I trust him more than the TV or weather radio. If it feels like we should bail out get in line cause I'll lead the way. It's gotta be a whopper though.

I'm not leaving for a Tornado Warning. Period. If we're gone it's been a great ending for sure.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,458 Times in 3,087 Posts

If it's a tornado warning, you won't have time to really go very far. Just to the nearest fire department building or other sturdy structure. For a tornado watch, you have time to prepare. But you wouldn't leave town for a tornado watch anyway. They're over too quick. Hurricane watches and warnings are a whole nother story. I've endured a few of each living up here in New England, and was actually chased down the road by the tornado that destroyed part of Hamden, Connecticut while I was driving to the ice cream shop. I didn't notice it was there til my rear view mirror turned greenish. I looked over my shoulder and it was touching down maybe 20 yards behind me, and carrying pieces of trees and someone's car bumper with it. I was VERY fortunate to have noticed and turned off into the ice cream shop's driveway when I did. The power went out on the whole street before I even opened the car door, and the tornado ripped all the telephone poles out of the ground as it passed by.

That is why I take these things seriously. It sounds like it's all a big joke to everyone here. But when I asked what you all do to prepare, it was a serious question.

WHEN the time comes that you feel you need to have prepared for a tornado, living in the Villages, what are those preparations? Is there any kind of plan in the communities for when the power goes out in the whole neighborhood? Who does the cleanup, and who pays for it? I've never lived in a home that had no cellar. That would normally be where we'd go in case of a tornado, up here.

Do people really have generators? If so, where do they keep them? Where's the nearest gas station that has diesel fuel?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage

People in my general area have Generac’s. Installed in one day. Quiet, beautiful, does the entire house and expensive. We are thinking about getting one that an handle the Fridge, Room A/C, Internet & TV. Probably at the last minute. Just being honest.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If it's a tornado warning, you won't have time to really go very far. Just to the nearest fire department building or other sturdy structure. For a tornado watch, you have time to prepare. But you wouldn't leave town for a tornado watch anyway. They're over too quick. Hurricane watches and warnings are a whole nother story. I've endured a few of each living up here in New England, and was actually chased down the road by the tornado that destroyed part of Hamden, Connecticut while I was driving to the ice cream shop. I didn't notice it was there til my rear view mirror turned greenish. I looked over my shoulder and it was touching down maybe 20 yards behind me, and carrying pieces of trees and someone's car bumper with it. I was VERY fortunate to have noticed and turned off into the ice cream shop's driveway when I did. The power went out on the whole street before I even opened the car door, and the tornado ripped all the telephone poles out of the ground as it passed by.

That is why I take these things seriously. It sounds like it's all a big joke to everyone here. But when I asked what you all do to prepare, it was a serious question.

WHEN the time comes that you feel you need to have prepared for a tornado, living in the Villages, what are those preparations? Is there any kind of plan in the communities for when the power goes out in the whole neighborhood? Who does the cleanup, and who pays for it? I've never lived in a home that had no cellar. That would normally be where we'd go in case of a tornado, up here.

Do people really have generators? If so, where do they keep them? Where's the nearest gas station that has diesel fuel?
It's unrealistic for people to go running to the nearest fire station every time a tornado warning/watch is issued. In addition, depending on the particular fire station, your home might be more safe/sturdy. My plan is to shelter in place, in a closet at our home.

Some people have whole house generators, and many others have portable ones, which they keep in the garage. There is no shortage of gas stations which sell diesel.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
People in my general area have Generac’s. Installed in one day. Quiet, beautiful, does the entire house and expensive. We are thinking about getting one that an handle the Fridge, Room A/C, Internet & TV. Probably at the last minute. Just being honest.
We had one in CT. Best investment I could have made. Lost power in the winter, but we were warm, cozy and all lit up.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Ummm, just to point out the obvious, that tornado didn't touch down anywhere near...any manufactured home area.

There were a plethora of site-built homes...that were also left totally untouched.

Kinda hard for a tornado to do damage to something...if it doesn't touch down anywhere near it.
Closed Thread

Tags
coming, carries, coast, gulf, impacted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.