A new effect from Hurricanes in FL

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2022, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 430 Posts

Lithium fires are no joke.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:04 AM
Gold member

Once a li-ion cell goes into thermal runway there is no stopping it.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Very good point. Many years ago I bought a used Ford station wagon from a dealer on LI. A few weeks after, I happened to lift the mat in the rear section, and found rust and dampness. The car was only 2 years old. There had been big floods in Pennsylvania and the dealer lied to me. The salesman told me it was a trade in from one of their customers. When I went back about the rust problems, the manager told me the car was bought by him at auction in NJ. After some heated discussion, we came to an agreement and I got another car from him. Lucky me.
I learned this many years ago when I bought a 3-year-old car at a pretty decent price. It was within a reasonable rate, so nothing was suspicious. It looked like it was in great shape, had the new car smell, low mileage, clean engine, all the belts were in great shape, tires were the original and also in great shape (which indicates that the low mileage was legit, and not a flip-over of the odometer).

Fast forward a year and I couldn't get the smell of mildew out of the back, and everything was constantly getting wet.

I pulled up the rug and there was a big rusty hole in the trunk. Did some checking on the VIN and found that it had been a flood damage item on someone's insurance.

MY insurance wouldn't cover the damage, and I couldn't afford to get the floor of my vehicle replaced. So I traded it in for another car, took a $5000 loss on the trade-in because it was technically not drivable but useable only for parts. Now when I look for a replacement vehicle I always check under the rugs.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:35 AM

It’s not about training. EVs have magnesium in them which is a flammable metal. It ignites and burns intensely when exposed to air or water. The only way to extinguish it is with a special powder “purple K.” It’s a lot more expensive than water so expect your fire tax to go up if you insist on having firefighters “better trained”.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Once a li-ion cell goes into thermal runway there is no stopping it.
One of my neighbors here in TV had their house burn down because their lithium scooter caught fire in the garage. It took them well over a year to rebuild.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
One of my neighbors here in TV had their house burn down because their lithium scooter caught fire in the garage. It took them well over a year to rebuild.
Did it take as long as others have said to put out the fire?
Old 10-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Did it take as long as others have said to put out the fire?
It happened in the middle of the night so I don’t know. It is a neighbor on the next street over.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

hmmm, interesting point about the significant cost of fighting a battery fire.

I would think that once the cost of fighting these fires starts to cause a budget issue, the state or local tax authority would put a large excise tax on the registration of an electric vehicle.

If the price to extinguish is 4x, and specifically identifiable by vehicle. .

jus' sayin'
Old 10-08-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Haters Gonna Hate!
Not hating electric golf carts, just generally disliking the risk with lithium batteries and realizing that there are hidden costs to the owner and to the general public if we have a large proportion of electric vehicles. The cost to extinguish may fall on us, versus the owner, in the form of higher taxes and or higher auto insurance.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Lithium batteries and water do not play well together. Lithium combined with water produces hydrogen gas which is combustible. It's very dangerous to submerge lithium batteries in water. Also, lithium batteries are known to overheat when over used and catch fire. There is research being conducted now to find a better power storage element that is less volatile.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
It’s not about training. EVs have magnesium in them which is a flammable metal. It ignites and burns intensely when exposed to air or water. The only way to extinguish it is with a special powder “purple K.” It’s a lot more expensive than water so expect your fire tax to go up if you insist on having firefighters “better trained”.
Yes on The Purple K… that was what we used to put out Aircraft fires… also be careful of “ Title Washing” a practice used to hide the vehicle history!
Old 10-09-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Yes on The Purple K… that was what we used to put out Aircraft fires… also be careful of “ Title Washing” a practice used to hide the vehicle history!
Purple K is unsuccessful for treating lithium battery fires. The preferred method is to let them burn out.

Get Ready: For Lithium-Ion Battery Fires - Emergency Operations - Industrial Fire World
Closed Thread

Tags
bingo, weather, hurricanes, effect, card

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.