Peak wind gust in TV Nicole

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2022, 03:38 PM

My weather station measured two gusts at 29-mph and none higher. West side of Marsh Bend.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:50 AM

As someone already pointed out, there can be a lot of variables to wind measurements taken at local locations. The NOAA NWS station closest to the TV southern end is located at the Leesburg airport. An NWS station meets all the national standards for location and configuration, which results in consistent measurements, at least at that location. Of course, it can vary the farther away you are. Here is the link to the forecast version. National Weather Service
Once there you can click on the "3 Day History" button which gives you this chart; National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Leesburg International Airport. Looking back on this chart it shows the highest gust recorded at that station was 48mph on the 10th between 9:53 and 10:53am.
I am not saying other anemometers around the area can't measure legitimate windspeeds, I just like to use the NWS measurements as a consistent reference point. Around my neighborhood for example, it is not possible to set up an anemometer that meets NWS standards due to buildings, trees, etc.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Find out why Hurricane Nicole never hit Florida. Today, Nov 14 at 1 PM at Bridgeport for the Science & Tech Club meeting. Open to all villagers.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
As someone already pointed out, there can be a lot of variables to wind measurements taken at local locations. The NOAA NWS station closest to the TV southern end is located at the Leesburg airport. An NWS station meets all the national standards for location and configuration, which results in consistent measurements, at least at that location. Of course, it can vary the farther away you are. Here is the link to the forecast version. National Weather Service
Once there you can click on the "3 Day History" button which gives you this chart; National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Leesburg International Airport. Looking back on this chart it shows the highest gust recorded at that station was 48mph on the 10th between 9:53 and 10:53am.
I am not saying other anemometers around the area can't measure legitimate windspeeds, I just like to use the NWS measurements as a consistent reference point. Around my neighborhood for example, it is not possible to set up an anemometer that meets NWS standards due to buildings, trees, etc.
You can also go to Weather Underground and get longer term histories and graphics for many other stations in addition to NWS data.
Closed Thread

Tags
peak, gust, wind, mph, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.