Storm 7/12/21

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I will hear the sound of new roofs soon😉.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Default Hurricane/Flood Water Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Well, we have been here 5 years. We went through a storm before Irma that was bad. Irma was chicken feed but the storm that just went over us while we were visiting someone at The Villages Rehab was amazing. I've seen pictures of hail. My sister's house in Atlanta was nearly destroyed by hail but this is the first time I experienced it in person. I really didn't like it too much. People were desperate to get into the building or others were desperate to get out of the building. I think either way they made a bad call by leaving their cars. Having my Non-Expensive perfectly maintained Hyundai get pelted by Hail Marbles was not cool.

I recently have seen pictures on YouTube of Cars, Motorcycles, and Golf Carts being struck by lightning. Some guy got hit on his helmet last year on I-75 by lightning. Scary stuff. The weather is the only bad part about living here but it doesn't freak me out the way it did in the beginning.

People on my street laughed at me when I mentioned I had flood insurance just before Irma. When the water was almost a foot into the Golf Cart Garage and those same people were frantic for sandbags, I helped them out. I split up the extra ones I had between two neighbors. Not even a thank you which is all I would ever want. All of a sudden I was the representative for flood insurance as everybody wanted it. We are in a Y zone which means your chances of having a problem are low.

My whole point being is I have a new respect for the weather that I didn't acquire until we landed here. The tradeoff of the scary weather vs the life we've been granted is worth it. I'm grateful but hopefully a bit smarter now. I'm probably the most grateful person in The Villages. Okay, at least the most grateful in the Hysterical Section.
In your post you mentioned sand bags to prevent flooding . . . . . instead trash bags can be filled with water, secured to prevent the water from leaking out and used to detour water away from areas. Actually worker better than sand bags and is much easier to obtain and disposed of after use.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Does it work like this lady puts gas in plastic Bag - YouTube ???

Thank's but in The Hysterical Historic Section, we have Magic Sand. It stops water a little bit.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, we have been here 5 years. We went through a storm before Irma that was bad. Irma was chicken feed but the storm that just went over us while we were visiting someone at The Villages Rehab was amazing. I've seen pictures of hail. My sister's house in Atlanta was nearly destroyed by hail but this is the first time I experienced it in person. I really didn't like it too much. People were desperate to get into the building or others were desperate to get out of the building. I think either way they made a bad call by leaving their cars. Having my Non-Expensive perfectly maintained Hyundai get pelted by Hail Marbles was not cool.

I recently have seen pictures on YouTube of Cars, Motorcycles, and Golf Carts being struck by lightning. Some guy got hit on his helmet last year on I-75 by lightning. Scary stuff. The weather is the only bad part about living here but it doesn't freak me out the way it did in the beginning.

People on my street laughed at me when I mentioned I had flood insurance just before Irma. When the water was almost a foot into the Golf Cart Garage and those same people were frantic for sandbags, I helped them out. I split up the extra ones I had between two neighbors. Not even a thank you which is all I would ever want. All of a sudden I was the representative for flood insurance as everybody wanted it. We are in a Y zone which means your chances of having a problem are low.

My whole point being is I have a new respect for the weather that I didn't acquire until we landed here. The tradeoff of the scary weather vs the life we've been granted is worth it. I'm grateful but hopefully a bit smarter now. I'm probably the most grateful person in The Villages. Okay, at least the most grateful in the Hysterical Section.

"Irma was chicken feed "

Unless a giant oak was blown down on your house.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Sorry but what is a "G ride" ?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:15 PM
Location: Osceola Hills, previously from Oviedo FL (Orlando area)
Smile Hail Storm

While we lived in Orlando area, we had a hailstorm in 1992.
Not only destroyed everyone's roofs but the car dealers had dents in all of the new vehicles. We were able to buy a Nissan truck very low cost with a few dents in the hood & roof. We had that truck for 25 years before selling it to someone else.
Great buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
It was about 11 years ago that I had finally saved enough money to buy a brand new Toyota 4Runner. I had put my order in and found a dealership that had the exact one I wanted……however….they had just had a huge hail storm and it damaged the car I wanted (along with many cars on their lot) so I had to wait several weeks for the factory to make another. I was so disappointed. I still have my Same, (new) Toyota today! It was worth the wait!
Old 07-13-2021, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Wow. This was off of 466 close to Rolling Acres. Memorable and Unbelievable. Glad it didn't affect everybody.
The lightning was AWESOME wasn't it? I actually drove my CAR to pick up a few groceries at Walmart instead of the golf cart. And did you feel the temperature drop? It was down to 75 for awhile before going back up again.

Hail is a very strange thing. We used to get hailstorms on occasion back up north but they weren't common. Be glad it wasn't a serious hailstorm - those things can be the size of golfballs and do some serious damage to cars and noggins!
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
In your post you mentioned sand bags to prevent flooding . . . . . instead trash bags can be filled with water, secured to prevent the water from leaking out and used to detour water away from areas. Actually worker better than sand bags and is much easier to obtain and disposed of after use.
Well unless some debris floats along the flood to the make-shift water balloon. and then, you have the usual flooding PLUS whatever water leaks out of the newly-broken bag.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
I had never heard of this. It is a very good idea and I am glad I saw it. You never know.

Tags
people, storm, bad, irma, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.