Storm 7/12/21

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Storm 7/12/21

Well, we have been here 5 years. We went through a storm before Irma that was bad. Irma was chicken feed but the storm that just went over us while we were visiting someone at The Villages Rehab was amazing. I've seen pictures of hail. My sister's house in Atlanta was nearly destroyed by hail but this is the first time I experienced it in person. I really didn't like it too much. People were desperate to get into the building or others were desperate to get out of the building. I think either way they made a bad call by leaving their cars. Having my Non-Expensive perfectly maintained Hyundai get pelted by Hail Marbles was not cool.

I recently have seen pictures on YouTube of Cars, Motorcycles, and Golf Carts being struck by lightning. Some guy got hit on his helmet last year on I-75 by lightning. Scary stuff. The weather is the only bad part about living here but it doesn't freak me out the way it did in the beginning.

People on my street laughed at me when I mentioned I had flood insurance just before Irma. When the water was almost a foot into the Golf Cart Garage and those same people were frantic for sandbags, I helped them out. I split up the extra ones I had between two neighbors. Not even a thank you which is all I would ever want. All of a sudden I was the representative for flood insurance as everybody wanted it. We are in a Y zone which means your chances of having a problem are low.

My whole point being is I have a new respect for the weather that I didn't acquire until we landed here. The tradeoff of the scary weather vs the life we've been granted is worth it. I'm grateful but hopefully a bit smarter now. I'm probably the most grateful person in The Villages. Okay, at least the most grateful in the Hysterical Section.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Must have been quite local, no hail but short downpour at Mallory. Strongish wind gusts, I saw one squirrel blown across the grass.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Must have been quite local, no hail but short downpour at Mallory. Strongish wind gusts, I saw one squirrel blown across the grass.
Wow. This was off of 466 close to Rolling Acres. Memorable and Unbelievable. Glad it didn't affect everybody.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Hail is no fun. One summer afternoon when I was about nine I was walking with a friend across a large vacant lot, maybe 300 yards on a side. No trees. I was wearing a T-shirt and jeans. The hail came on suddenly. It was extremely painful. We ran for cover against a short block wall which really didn't help. I am grateful the hailstones were only about dime sized. I have seen the results of hail trashing an entire car lot.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Wow. This was off of 466 close to Rolling Acres. Memorable and Unbelievable. Glad it didn't affect everybody.
I'm not far from there. I grabbed some video off the security cams. It reminded me of a snow storm with the gusts of water.

Powerful rain this afternoon - YouTube
Old 07-12-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Years ago, we had a home for sale for a week and a hailstorm hit; did $25,000 damage to the home in addition to making my wife’s G ride look like a bunch of sheep’s feet had been across it.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage
Default Hail, hail the rain’s all here!

It was about 11 years ago that I had finally saved enough money to buy a brand new Toyota 4Runner. I had put my order in and found a dealership that had the exact one I wanted……however….they had just had a huge hail storm and it damaged the car I wanted (along with many cars on their lot) so I had to wait several weeks for the factory to make another. I was so disappointed. I still have my Same, (new) Toyota today! It was worth the wait!
Old 07-13-2021, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I'm not far from there. I grabbed some video off the security cams. It reminded me of a snow storm with the gusts of water.

Powerful rain this afternoon - YouTube
Wow, good one,
Old 07-13-2021, 05:52 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

It missed us yesterday south of SR44, but I could see the dark clouds and lightning off to the northeast.

Coming from Missouri, we are unfortunately all too familiar with hail. The good thing was, hail always seemed to provide a new roof every 8 - 10 years! Back in 2011, we had a wicked hailstorm with tennis ball size hail that lasted for about 10 minutes. Talk about MAJOR damage.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:33 AM

I could hear the hail hitting the windows, it was a horrible storm!
Old 07-13-2021, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
It missed us yesterday south of SR44, but I could see the dark clouds and lightning off to the northeast.

Coming from Missouri, we are unfortunately all too familiar with hail. The good thing was, hail always seemed to provide a new roof every 8 - 10 years! Back in 2011, we had a wicked hailstorm with tennis ball size hail that lasted for about 10 minutes. Talk about MAJOR damage.
My parents had a major hail storm in Ohio in 2006 I think. Took out their roof, both car roofs and windows, the detached garage roof and tons of damage everywhere. 40x60 steel building had no issues.

They took the roof insurance money and paid a reasonable up charge for a steel roof. The next storm a year or two later, they parked the cars in the steel building and had zero damage. The neighbors were getting new roofs again and about 1/3 went steel. Moral of the story to me, if you're in a hail zone, get a steel roof.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:56 AM

Yesterday, 7/12, South of 466a the weather map was green, rain, which is what we had. Looking at the location near Orange Blossom and area, the map was a bright red. Not good. There was also a separate streak of even darker red that I’ve never seen before. Hope everyone’s ok.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Wow, good one,
Thanks

My wife and I were working on renovating our other villa when this storm came through. It's near Tierra del Sol and it was bad there, not quite as bad though. Those cameras have sound, I should probably post a minute or two just for the fun of it.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Usually these types of storms don’t cover large areas. Radar will tell you that. In the year and half since I’ve been here it seems the Northern sections of TV tend to get the worst of it.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
My parents had a major hail storm in Ohio in 2006 I think. Took out their roof, both car roofs and windows, the detached garage roof and tons of damage everywhere. 40x60 steel building had no issues.

They took the roof insurance money and paid a reasonable up charge for a steel roof. The next storm a year or two later, they parked the cars in the steel building and had zero damage. The neighbors were getting new roofs again and about 1/3 went steel. Moral of the story to me, if you're in a hail zone, get a steel roof.
And earplugs.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, storm, bad, irma, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.