Turnpike Noise and Weather?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
I agree. I started this thread to generate discussion to understand the noise from the turnpike. The noise is different day to day -- with some days/nights being very loud and other times remarkably silent.

As usual, this thread has devolved into being lectured by greater minds about our lessor judgement and reasoning.

Most of the time on this forum, I pull my punches and just push away from the keyboard as it serves no purpose to denigrate others and ultimately diminish myself. I live here and work in Leesburg. I've given up on defending Villagers to those people. Some of their criticisms are given life in the words on some of these threads.

By the way, other than the noise and bugs, I kinda like South of 44.
A perfect cross section of human psychology on display in this thread. when building automation, it always works, until a human gets involved. the human decision making in the limited ability to take ALL variables into account, FOMO, (fear of Missing out) which is alive and very well in the villages for exactly the reasons Stu pointed out, and the transition from working life to retired life. Working life has so many demands that background is seldom (i didn't say never) an issue, and retired life is slower, less demands, and awareness of one own environment gets more attention. . humans are sufficers, trying to get to the sufficient point of our expectations, some do some never do, some can't. and 85% of the respondents said that they were above average drivers. . when in fact there is no way to quantify the answer
Old 02-05-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleneGB View Post
Why would you buy a house by the turnpike? You had to know there would be noise.
The OP is asking a question based on his observation - does the outside temperature affect sound travel. He is not saying he didn’t know about the noise.

To answer your question about why buy a house by the turnpike…Probably for the same reasons you bought where you did. We too just bought a ‘house in the south’. Found a house we liked. We wanted a new house so that put us south of 44 to start. We like the amenities, and look forward to the future ones. Our ‘up north’ house is by the expressway so we know what to expect. Still can ask questions though about the sound such as does the colder weather amplify the volume. What have others done to help mitigate the noise? Etc.

We are well aware of the turnpike’s proximity to the house and have read the too noisy / doesn’t bother me debate.

Getting back to the OP, seems colder weather is a factor. Good to know!
Old 02-16-2022, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

I haven't read all the responses, but you hear sounds differently on different days due to atmospheric inversions or ducting. Wind is important, but the vertical structure of the atmosphere at any particular time is critical. Atmospheric ducts are regularly created by strong inversions -- which are most common in winter and at night. The boundary of the inversion (the edges of the duct layer) acts as a reflector of sound because of the air density difference -- causing refraction -- and sound shadows. Depending on the height of the duct and the frequency of the sound, the "sound" can travel for miles. Even hundreds of years ago, when canons were commonly used, people noticed that sometimes nearby people barely heard the sound, yet folks miles away heard the canons very clearly. In other words, there can be dead sound spaces (shadows) between the sound areas during strong atmospheric ducting. Any good sounding (or raob) program will identify these inversions -- or ducting layers. Here is an excellent article on this subject ... Refraction of Sound Waves & Acoustic Shadows Explained
Old 02-16-2022, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

For you people that complain about noise, 6 years ago we moved here from a Wisconsin house with a basement that housed
a furnace, sump pump and an occasional water softener running, and they were all IN THE HOUSE.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
I haven't read all the responses, but you hear sounds differently on different days due to atmospheric inversions or ducting. Wind is important, but the vertical structure of the atmosphere at any particular time is critical. Atmospheric ducts are regularly created by strong inversions -- which are most common in winter and at night. The boundary of the inversion (the edges of the duct layer) acts as a reflector of sound because of the air density difference -- causing refraction -- and sound shadows. Depending on the height of the duct and the frequency of the sound, the "sound" can travel for miles. Even hundreds of years ago, when canons were commonly used, people noticed that sometimes nearby people barely heard the sound, yet folks miles away heard the canons very clearly. In other words, there can be dead sound spaces (shadows) between the sound areas during strong atmospheric ducting. Any good sounding (or raob) program will identify these inversions -- or ducting layers. Here is an excellent article on this subject ... Refraction of Sound Waves & Acoustic Shadows Explained
It pays to read all the posts, amazing what may have been already been posted.
BTW, oh never mind……
Old 02-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

/////
Closed Thread

Tags
noise, turnpike, times, morning, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.