Turnpike Noise and Weather?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2022, 07:00 AM

The direction of or calm wind has a lot to with how much sound you hear.

Since most Villagers buy 2 or sometimes 3 homes in their first 5 years, I would suggest looking for something north of 44 to give you the quiet you are looking for and sell yours to someone who would feel fortunate to be South. I live South near the new construction on 501 and I have had multiple offers....and my home isn't even on the market!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
Since most Villagers buy 2 or sometimes 3 homes in their first 5 years,
Fake News.

Spreading rumors.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
there are a lot of houses being resold in the southern portion. .
Not really.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:19 AM

Another consideration on why the noise is louder in the winter is with colder temps, the air is denser, and sound waves do not dissipate as quickly as it moves away from its source. I know this since I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
I know this since I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
or did you jus read prior posts and re-post??
Old 02-01-2022, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I live uphill of a highway for over 30 years. Great view of Manhattan. The noise just traveled up the hill. We kept our windows closed for most of the winter and summer but open in between. I would never choose to live near a highway again. It takes about 100 feet of dense evergreen to mitigate any road noise. Something I learned by being on a planning board and hearing people complain about road noise after buying a house near a highway. I never buy on the edge either. So much of the new housing is near power lines, turnpike, prison, quarry and, although there are lovely walking paths, I choose to stay north of 44.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
I live south of 44 -- according to Google maps, about 2700 feet (or roughly 1/2 mile) from the Turnpike.

This morning, the noise was deafening. My hearing is still very good.

Over the last 12 months or so, people have commented on buying near the Turnpike and there is a mix of Noise-Not-A-Problem to Yeah-Very-Noisy. I've read the threads where the original people in Linden wanted a wall built along the Turnpike, so I know the noise issue has been discussed numerous times.

On most days and nights, the noise is there, but it is OK -- I would rather have no interstate noise, but I can live with it. From time to time there is no noise (Winds blowing noise the other way). And, at other times, like this morning, you could not pay me to buy a house near the Turnpike. Had I been looking this morning, I would asked the agent about nice used houses further north!

When we moved in, during the Summer the noise was loud at times. This Winter seems worse. Further, more houses have been built between us and turnpike. We thought it would dampen the noise.

For the weather people (enthusiasts, club members, etc.) what is your take on the Turnpike noise and weather?
Certain trees offer a sound barrier. Loss of leaves in the winter months allows more sound to come through.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:41 AM

We rented for 4 years to determine what we wanted and what we didn't. We didn't want road noise, train noise, or pickelball noise. We did want quiet (were from Minnesota lakes), mature nature, south facing villa, Lopez golf course (no power poles), water view and 120' of frontage. We found our 'jewel' that has an oversize garage (24x24), expanded living and master bath. Recent sales have shot up the prices almost 200k! Another plus, we can be out of 'The Bubble' in less than 30 seconds! my oh my
Old 02-01-2022, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

From my home in Winifred I can barley hear the train whistle around 2am. Love that sound.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I live south of 44 -- according to Google maps, about 2700 feet (or roughly 1/2 mile) from the Turnpike.

Over the last 12 months or so, people have commented on buying near the Turnpike and there is a mix of Noise-Not-A-Problem to Yeah-Very-Noisy. I've read the threads where the original people in Linden wanted a wall built along the Turnpike, so I know the noise issue has been discussed numerous times.

On most days and nights, the noise is there, but it is OK -- I would rather have no interstate noise, but I can live with it. From time to time there is no noise (Winds blowing noise the other way). And, at other times, like this morning, you could not pay me to buy a house near the Turnpike. Had I been looking this morning, I would asked the agent about nice used houses further north!

When we moved in, during the Summer the noise was loud at times. This Winter seems worse. Further, more houses have been built between us and turnpike. We thought it would dampen the noise.

For the weather people (enthusiasts, club members, etc.) what is your take on the Turnpike noise and weather?
Think of all the noise you will have when the tollway goes to 6 lanes to handle all the new traffic
Old 02-01-2022, 08:22 AM

The turnpike was there first!
Old 02-01-2022, 08:26 AM

Wait till they widen the turnpike. Then it will really be loud.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:43 AM
Default Add a large water feature

Quote:

Our friends had a large water feature built in the back yard and it cancels the road noise beautifully.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:55 AM

Location, location, and location.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:04 AM

You must be from somewhere very quiet. I’ve lived in the city of Chicago and in rural Panhandle of Florida. Both were much louder. The crickets and toads were the worst! I’m close to the Turnpike and mostly only hear a droning hummmm. To each his own interpretation.
Closed Thread

Tags
noise, turnpike, times, morning, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.