Weather forecast

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Gold member

Everyday 50 / 50 chance of rain. Either it will or it won’t. Just my opinion & usually I’m prepared for whatever
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 AM
Gold member

[///

Last edited by red tail; 08-05-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I typically look at "weather.com" when I am in a hurry. When I have time there are other sources of raw data that only a meteorologist would find interesting.

The hourly forecasts on weather.com are worth looking at in the very short term - a few hours before you are going outside. Also, I tend to look at the weather radar in Jacksonville to see how precipitation areas are moving.

In the warm season there is significant variability with precipitation. With a morning forecast of 50% showers and thunderstorms for The Villages, it can be raining in Sumter Landing but not raining in Brownwood. You can consider that a "correct forecast". There are limits to what the science can do. There is less variability in precipitation during the cold season so the forecasts are more spatially precise further out in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Is there any accurate weather forecast source for The Villages? I have checked "The Weather Channel", "WESH2","The Daily Sun" and "WVLG" and still find it amazing that the weather experts are seldom correct. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

At one time I was paid as a research scientist for the National Weather Service. I am now retired. If we have another significant weather event I will again post my thoughts. Here's hoping that I don't post very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This guy should get paid. Tuccillo, just the greatest.

The guy on Wesh 2 Cracks us up. He should get an Academy Award for his Theatrics During a weather event. Nice guy but talk about giving me just the FACTS. HE HAD US MORE UPSET THAN THE STORM DID. We like Accuweather the best and anything except Wesh or sorry to say, The Villages Weather Report on the radio.

Thanks, FW your the bestest!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks.
Be careful with weatherbug, it's full of spam.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hot There View Post
I like "My Radar" app.
Me too. "My Radar" by Acme Aconometrics for Windows 10. You can see where it's raining anywhere in the U.S. Not a tool for long-term forecasting but it shows where the rain is and how big an area it covers and whether there is convection.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
At one time I was paid as a research scientist for the National Weather Service. I am now retired. If we have another significant weather event I will again post my thoughts. Here's hoping that I don't post very often.
You Service to our Community should not be Overlooked. As a Newbie For Irma and the Non-Named Big Storm the year before it was your matter of fact Updates that calmed us the most and then at one point let us know it was time to bail out. I'm comfortable with our decision with your assist.

I've heard there are 4400 Manufactured Home in The Historic Section. Let's overestimate that half are Snowbirds. Where would the other 2200 households with one or two residents and all the other people who live in Manufactured/Mobile/Park Models in other local communities evacuate to? Where do people with animals evacuate to?

My point, there is a high probability that we will be sitting tight in our own home if there ever is another event unless its a whopper. We are as prepared as we can be. There are 18 people in the little gang that we hang with here. 14 of them who are long-time residents stayed during Irma and laughed at us for taking off into Georgia into a town near Tifton Georgia. At that time I figured better safe than sorry. My thinking really hasn't changed it's just the weather doesn't shake us up at all anymore. It concerns us sometimes but that a big improvement over the way it was two years ago.

Thank You Tuccillo, You Are The Best!
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Be careful with weatherbug, it's full of spam.
Thanks for the warning - much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Oh, sorry Tuccillo, I just read this post. When people said you were the best forecaster ever I thought it was because of your arthritis. My dad had a type of arthritis that could forecast rain very very accurately.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

My parents lived in the historic section from 1995 to 2011 and only once did they had to fix the roof during that time, that I remember.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don’t have arthritis yet - just some occasional aches and pains that come from forgetting that I am not 22 anymore ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oh, sorry Tuccillo, I just read this post. When people said you were the best forecaster ever I thought it was because of your arthritis. My dad had a type of arthritis that could forecast rain very very accurately.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Okie dokie...thanks for the input.
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, forecast, find, wvlg, amazing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.