Weather science

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2022, 09:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Weather science

To those more learned than I:

Why don't we have technology capable of mitigating storms like Ian?

Sending people to the moon and back, and maybe Mars one day. This we can do. Smashing a device into an asteroid to change its direction, this we can do. Technology to deal with tropical storms before they become a danger? Doesn't seem like that's in the cards. Hey, there has to be a business opportunity in this. Memo to Elon Musk: Can't you invent a big old fan of some kind to change the paths of killer storms? I'd bet you'd make a bundle.

Last edited by alwann; 09-29-2022 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2022, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

Sending people to the moon and back, and maybe Mars one day. This we can do. Smashing a device into an asteroid to change its direction, this we can do. Technology to deal with tropical storms before they become a danger? Doesn't seem like that's in the cards. Hey, there has to be a business opportunity in this. Memo to Elon Musk: Can't you invent a big old fan of some kind to change the paths of killer storms? I'd bet you'd make a bundle.
Easy to say, hard to do.

One suggestion put forward by "someone" was to drop a nuke on the storm while it was forming. ahem...

Messing with nature is not simple. Yes, there are ways we can change the development of the hurricane, the problem is there is no way to know what the side affects will be without doing it. We can model the changes, but many people don't believe models - ie. Climate Change.

So, we must tread lightly. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to seed tropical storms to cause them to rain more, the theory was if the storm lost it's water it would not be as bad as it would have been. I do not know if that is still practiced.

I can assure you if it were doable, it would be done. I am certain that people like DARPA are investigating it, but as I said, it is not a simple problem, and if we whoops, it could quite literal result in the environment not being habitable.

What you are asking for is called terra forming - it is a subject that is being studied, mostly at this point to convert a planet like Mars into something people could live on without living in domes.

So, we must tread carefully.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

It seems the ocean water temperature has a lot to do with feeding those big Hurricanes.
Someday we will figure something out like stopping massive wildfires.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Mother nature is still much smarter than we are
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

It's a prediction, the only profession where a guess is accepted as fact.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Sorry, I disagree with you. Almost every profession is based on guesses and predictions.

Metrology gets a bad rap because even the best predictions are not 100% accurate.

Virtually NOTHING in science is absolute, it all comes down to estimates, and the more we know the better the estimates. That is why so often scientists seem to contradict themselves. They aren't, they just learned more and the old predictions are no longer the best most accurate.

If you want perfect predictions, then go with religion, it is based on perfection... ahem...
Old 09-29-2022, 11:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Mother nature is still much smarter than we are
Mother Nature has had 13 billion years to figure out how to do something, and we expect scientists to figure out how to undo it in a year. ahem...
Old 09-29-2022, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Hurricane Knowledge.com

Huge number of variables in predicting when and where hurricanes will land. And messing with them would just create more things to take into account.

It does look like the physics involved is a lot better than it was when I took physics classes in the 1970s.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Hurricane Knowledge.com

Huge number of variables in predicting when and where hurricanes will land. And messing with them would just create more things to take into account.

It does look like the physics involved is a lot better than it was when I took physics classes in the 1970s.
Yup, better and simpler explanation than mine - thank you
Old 09-29-2022, 02:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

We had someone with Sharpie and a suggestion to possibly use nuclear weapon to stop a hurricane.
Now since we don’t have enough CO2 in our atmosphere contributes to less tropical storms.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

This is The Villages - science don't work here.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

It's been tried several times, and is periodically discussed at the Weather Club -- and by those who flew into these storms and made hurricane forecasts. One example is Project Stormfury. On a related subject, a post-analysis of Hurricane IAN will be presented at the next Weather Club meeting ... The Villages Weather Club
Old 09-29-2022, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

In her attempt to reassure me, DW told me the hurricane wouldn't hurt us because The Villages bubble protects us. I feel so safe now. 😏😍
Old 09-30-2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I was a real estate appraiser for over 35 years. Every appraisal report I completed was an “opinion of value” (a guess, but a well-educated guess) which everyone who read the report interpreted as fact. Meteorology is not unique in this regard.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:44 AM

Because we are not God.
Closed Thread

Tags
storms, change, technology, weather, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.