Enclosing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,007 Times in 2,199 Posts
Question Enclosing Lanai

We looking to enclose our lanai, 13 feet by 31 feet. About 1/2 will be windows and the other half in sliders. I have already contacted ARC, however, as soon as I mentioned to the Sumter County building department about windows, they immediately said "get an engineer" and would not answer any other questions regarding the use of windows.

It appears if you get state approved window systems, no engineer required (minimum savings $1000), so to avoid the hassle of the planned Knee wall and windows, I am now looking at window systems.

Here is where I need YOUR help. Some neighbors have window systems that have 2 sliders on top of a FIXED set of glass panels. Both if use like this idea. One neighbor had some documentation that this was done by T&D Screen Enclosures Inc. I have not called T&D yet, but from post here they typically have a LONG lead time. So, does anyone know of another company that installs this type of window system.

Thank you for your help.
VT
Old 03-12-2023, 04:30 PM

Custom Windows
3606 Parkway Blvd
Leesburg, Fl
352-787-9797

They have a showroom with vinyl, aluminum window and slider installations: vertical and horizontal windows, picture windows, knee rail and solid window on the bottom, various types of sliders (good, better, best), different styles of doors, single pane, double pane with gas (?) in between. We went in and the displays answered a lot of our questions. They handle ARC approval and permits. They have a list of vendors to contact for insulation above ceiling and electrical for outlets as well as other vendors. We had them out about 7-10 days after we stopped by showroom for discussion of what we wanted and for free estimate. We put down deposit and now we are waiting for someone to measure, then frame-in. We then have to wait 6-8 weeks for the windows and the door. We have seen others sitting and waiting. It seems to be just part of the process. We had T&D enclose lanai on previous home (had estimate from Custom Window but chose T&D), but we decided to go with Custom Window this time.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:23 PM

In 2018 we got 2 estimates from the following companies to do what you are requesting but don’t know if they still will do it now.
Blackburn Bros Construction 352-821-0165 (office) 352-427-9115 (cell)

All Around Aluminum 352-516-7844

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Custom Windows did our Florida room about 2 1/2 years ago. Very happy with the results.

Go to their showroom and let them tell you if what you want can be done.

They handled all the permits and approvals.

Only hiccup was it was during the height of covid and took a lot longer than they said but there was understandable reasons for that.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:53 PM

Custom windows without a doubt. Make sure you visit the showroom you’ll be glad you did.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:25 AM
Default Installing a bird cage in The Villages on the wrong side of house

I would like to find the person that had a Bird Cage installed on the wrong side of there house and had to have it removed.Contact me at lychee1576@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2023, 10:01 AM

An option to custom windows is FULLVIEW Lanai Enclosures. They get their windows from the same manufacturer as Custom Windows. This was confirmed to me by both companies. We went with the aluminum double pane Low E glass. It will have the picture windows on the bottom and sliders on top. Price is very competitive between FULLVIEW and Custom Windows. We also had included three outlets in each column with a circuit run back to the breaker box in the garage. The wiring and outlets will be inset into the cbs columns for a nice finished look.

We went with FULLVIEW because out neighbor is still waiting over 6 months for his enclosure to be installed by Custom Windows. He is not particularly unhappy with the LONG lead time. He is disappointed in the lack of communications and follow up. He asked for an update on install several times. He was told they would check and get back to him but they never do. Phone number for FULLVIEW Lanai Enclosures is 352-530-2120. They have a showroom in Leesburg. VT, you are welcome to PM me if you have any questions. You are always so helpful to everyone, maybe I can pay you back just a little.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:24 AM
Sage

Thank you for all of the comments, we signed to contract for the enclosure and the electrician, so in 2 to 3 months we will have an enclosed lanai.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:50 PM

who did you decide on to do the work?
Old 04-28-2023, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmltw View Post
who did you decide on to do the work?
Fullview.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

So much more enjoyable being closed in but able to open for the breeze.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, window, systems, t&d, engineer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.